Hey tomorrow I face the dreaded first gig, as much as I am nervous I am more exited, has anyone got any advise on how to make the gig memorable and has any experiences of their first gig?
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
to make it memorable, **** up something very basic. like forgetting to plug in your amp or whatever. and get completely ****faced/plastered/reupholstered.

and then you can visit the other part of the forum called bandleading i think. they should be able to help you sober up, among other things.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
my first gig dropped my pick, second, my drummer forgot the end to seven nation army. third times the charm haven't had any more mishaps. you just need to accept that everyones first gig, sucks it bad. keep on it though because they only get easier
I play a guitar strung with Yngwie's chest hair
you're going to remember it no matter what you do, but as soon as you get off the stage I garuntee (sp?) you will have the feeling of "man, I want to do that again!" like when you get off a roller coaster that you thought was scary.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Don't look at your hands when you play, make eye contact with other band memebers and the audience.

Don't suck.

Don't worry.

Have Fun.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
No bad experiences with my first gig.

Audience was interactive, We sounded good, no complaints at all. I didn't even get nervous beforehand. It's a lot of fun, just don't worry about it, ya know?
Don't talk too much, make sure your bandmates know that on-stage "witty banter" is seldom witty and actually sounds fake and amateur-ish. Just say "hey everyone, thanks for coming out, we're called so-and-so, we hope you enjoy the show."

Also, it might be a little late for this advice, but be prepared. Know your songs, know when you're supposed to do what, and plan out a general sketch for all of your jams so that they sound coherent and your band sounds tight. That's the best way to combat your nerves. If there's a song I'm nervous about, then I'm anxious about that song the entire gig until we play it. If you know everything on your set-list back to front you'll be able to concentrate on performing and having fun, which is what it's really about.

And one of the best ways to win over an audience is with a nice, decently popular song with a good singalong chorus... but don't do it unless you have a pretty good-size room, or else it just ends up lame... "Sing it!" <hold out mic to audience and promptly there are two voices (out of twelve) singing along pathetically>

Just enjoy it, don't make a big deal out of it if you make a mistake, just laugh and keep going.

My first gig (it wasn't my first performance, I'd been in choir and musicals and so forth) with a band went over darn swimmingly, because I was adamant that we do every little possible thing we could do to be completely prepared. I was like, "if there is something that I can do to be better prepared I'm going to do it." But there were mistakes, it always happens. Or technical difficulties.

Get there early and set up a pretty good mix, soundcheck is very important.
Last edited by pratt121 at Aug 3, 2007,
Quote by BHC zoley
my first gig dropped my pick, second, my drummer forgot the end to seven nation army. third times the charm haven't had any more mishaps. you just need to accept that everyones first gig, sucks it bad. keep on it though because they only get easier

Dude, My first gig was 100% fine. It was the 2nd one that sucked.
SOUNDCHECK

I've heard so many bands that would sound perfectly fine, but due to their shitty mixing, they sounded like crap.

Get there early, set up all your gear so that it sounds great in the middle of the room, don't just stand up on stage and check it, none of your audience will be up there with you.
Thanks for the advise, the gig went really well, best first gig ever haha
My Gear:
ESP LTD EC-1000 SW
ESP LTD EC 500 STBC
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Dean Razorback Two Tone
Ibanez 7 string
Randall RH150G3 Head and Cab
Quote by metallica_death
Thanks for the advise, the gig went really well, best first gig ever haha
That was probably the best first gig you'll ever play.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.