All right heres the deal I know I'm not a beginner guitar player. I mean rhythm guitar got that nailed but now now I'm moving on to conquer lead and what's killing me are the solos. For example Me, my brother(bassist), and cousin (other guitar) are learning slither by velvet revolver so we can jam together. We do alright until we get to the solo and it all goes to hell. Neither guitar players are able to really solo at all and we just get crushed by it. Anyone know of any ways to practice this solo or solos in general to achieve results. BTW none of us can really play by ear so that really won't work (tried to learn to play by ear but I don't have anything to slow the music down to where I can pick out the notes)
get the tab and learn it a couple bars at a time. play those till you have them dialed then add on the next 2 bars
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
just play the solo over and over for few hours and your good to go
The main purpose of a TV is to have a place to point your furnatures to
1: Memorize the fingerings. Don't mind rhythm or tempo here, just make sure you know where to put your fingers next.

2: Practice the fingerings. Make sure you're able to get your fingers to their next spot without much hassle. The quicker you can do it, the better. Don't mind rhythm too much here (that is, mind the rhythm, but if you can't figure it all out, don't mind).

3: Practice the tempo. Here, a tool like Guitar Pro will come in really handy. Play the solo at half speed (or slower if necessary). If you don't have GP, or can't find a GP tab for the solo, just experiment while listening to the song, see if you can figure it out.
I'm a communist. Really.
Don't learn the solo's note for note, unless you really want to. Keep it similar but change it up a little, that usually makes things easier for me
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
Get it down into several fragments, and learn where the fingers should go and the order. Then get the tempo right and finally try to play it with the original song in the background.

The only problem I find with this is that if you are new to soloing you are going to find the Slither solo quite hard so you should simplify all the complex parts, remove notes and ****.
My Gear:
  • Fender Stevie Ray Vaughan (SRV) Signature guitar
  • Ibanez Jem 7VWH
  • Ibanez JS1000BP (Satch signature)
  • Marhsall TSL 122 Combo amp
  • T.C. Electronic G-System
  • Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
  • Ibanez Tube Screamer T-808