I've been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years to 2 years now, playing for roughly 3 hrs a day, I have a nice guitar (ibanez s470), but my amp is rather limited now. I have up until now used a Fender G-Dec practise amp. It's great for a beginner, but I feel I'm developing beyond it now, as I am looking for amps to gig with (only small gigs mind). When I'm jamming with friends I've always used one of my friends many amps (he comes from a guitarist family), so I want to get my own now.

I've been looking at the Peavey 5150 amps, as I love Van Halen, and the Eddie Van Halen brown sound. I play stuff like VH, Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, The Who and Joe Satriani. However, as they are now discountinued, I can only find the halfstack version in the uk. The main point of my question is, is it worth the £700+ for a guitarist of my level to buy a halfstack? It seems a little excessive at the moment.

Any ideas/alternative amps/ suggestions welcome.
I believe the Peavey 6505 is basically the same as the 5150. Your best money is the used market. I believe you already know the half stack will probably be a bit overkill, although I love halfstacks. Combos are a lot more practical.
Oh right. Thanks for the help. I'll check out some 6505 combos then.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
I've been playing guitar for 1 1/2 years to 2 years now, playing for roughly 3 hrs a day, I have a nice guitar (ibanez s470), but my amp is rather limited now. I have up until now used a Fender G-Dec practise amp. It's great for a beginner, but I feel I'm developing beyond it now, as I am looking for amps to gig with (only small gigs mind). When I'm jamming with friends I've always used one of my friends many amps (he comes from a guitarist family), so I want to get my own now.

I've been looking at the Peavey 5150 amps, as I love Van Halen, and the Eddie Van Halen brown sound. I play stuff like VH, Iron Maiden, Metallica, AC/DC, The Who and Joe Satriani. However, as they are now discountinued, I can only find the halfstack version in the uk. The main point of my question is, is it worth the £700+ for a guitarist of my level to buy a halfstack? It seems a little excessive at the moment.

Any ideas/alternative amps/ suggestions welcome.

The 5150 is now called the 6505. I believe it still comes in combo form, but I've never seen one. Try to find a 5150 used. Bear in mind though, that a 5150 has A LOT of gain, and there actually are probably better amps more suited for what you play, but the 5150 will do those sounds.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com