Hi ,

I just got a brand new Peavey valveking 112 ..... im confused by the standby switch ....i know its for keeping the tube hot while turning the amp off ....but whats the ideal process to follow when turning it on/off ....how long should i leave it on before i can start playing ....and whats the ideal way to tun it off ?
congrats on the purchase. In all honesty it should only take about a minute till you can play. What your refering to is the fabled hot tube tone which is achieved when cranking your amp (tube amps sound better the louder they get). Now if you want the best sound out of your tube amp at a reasonable sound you can buy a power attenuator which uses the tubes at full power but lower volume. The main thing with a tube amp is to not turn it off right away. You should flick the standby switch after your done playing and let the amp cool off for a couple minutes then turn it off. Hope this helps.
Fender Showmaster
76 Epiphone Riviera
SX LTD2
Ibanez Rg 7421 w/ Breed's
Line 6 Flextone 3
Presonus Firebox
Studio Projects B1 Condensor
M-Audio Studiopro 3 Desktop Monitors
Macbook 2.1 Ghz w/ 4gb Ram
Logic Express
Garage Band
This topic always gets really confusing because of the standby off/on position. Assume that when I say 'off' I mean when the amp is making noise.

1. Make sure standby is on, power is off, plug the amp in.
2. Turn power on, leave standby on.
3. Plug cables in, get the rest of your gear ready. Don't spend ages waiting, but 30 seconds to a minute will be best, to let everything get ready.
4. Turn standby 'off' and play.

When you finish, turn standby on and leave it for a minute or so before you turn it off. You won't break anything by not using the standby switch, but your tubes will live a bit longer and will be less likely to die suddenly. Take care loading your amp into the car or moving it around. If you're going straight out into a cold garage or whatever wait for the tubes to cool a bit before moving it. Thats about it really.
i know of some older tube amps that a friend of mine has rebuilt... when replacing the tubes they had a certain "burn in" time that you would turn them on for before using it to play... i would think that most manufacturers would address this before selling it on a shelf.
Amps:
Crate V3112
Mesa Mk IVB

Guitars:
Ibanez SZ320
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X
Michael Kelly Patriot Custom

Effects:
Too Many to list.
I would put it on standby for about 20 minutes if it's the very first time you've ever used it, given that it is new. In that 20 minutes I'd look at the tubes a few times to see if any are not glowing. If one of them aren't, you can blow a fuse when you cut it all the way on.

After that first time, 30 seconds is recommended for some amps, some amps recommend up to 4 minutes. I'd follow the instruction manual instead of "about 30 seconds or 5 minutes".
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The manual for my amps says I have to warm up for at least 3 minutes
and when turning off.. you can't cool your tubes when you leave it on standby because the tube heaters are on then, can you? I usually leave it on standby for about 20-30 seconds before turning off though.
The gear is in the profile.
You know you want to take a look

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Strat-mangling, echo-eating janglefan σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^ some class A amps don't.. it's because of their construction. It's better to turn them off when not playing.. well at least that's the reason I read

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Lauke_101
The manual for my amps says I have to warm up for at least 3 minutes
and when turning off.. you can't cool your tubes when you leave it on standby because the tube heaters are on then, can you? I usually leave it on standby for about 20-30 seconds before turning off though.

It's a good idea to either cut the volume on the channels all the way down and then cut the amp on standby then you can cut it directly off, or you can do what you do and leave the volume up (I do this because the volume is very sensitive) then wait about 10 seconds then cut it off.

It's easier on the tubes than cutting them both off at once. I blew a preamp tube cutting the power off before the standby...oh what a horrid day.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Punk_Ninja
My amp doesnt have a standby switch. . . it is tube.

I don't think many amps that are 15watts and below have standby switches because they have less valves in them.
Guitars Fender Highway 1 Telecaster, Vintage VS-6, Yamaha C-40 Classical
Amps Laney VC15, Crate GT212 *FOR SALE*
Pedals Fulltone OCD, Vox V847, Marshall The Echohead, EHX Small Clone, Korg DT-10

Member of the Laney Cult
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's a good idea to either cut the volume on the channels all the way down and then cut the amp on standby then you can cut it directly off, or you can do what you do and leave the volume up (I do this because the volume is very sensitive) then wait about 10 seconds then cut it off.

It's easier on the tubes than cutting them both off at once. I blew a preamp tube cutting the power off before the standby...oh what a horrid day.

thanx =)
yes I leave the volume up [very sensitive when you have a 50 watt 2x12 =P] but first switch on standby, then wait, turn the power off and unplug my pedals input.. I leave the plug in the amp input though but it's only connected to my ds-2 then

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
i usually turn the standby switch on, do whatever else i have to do (tune up plug stuff in) leave it on for a minute then turn the power switch on and play. and to turn off i just turn the power switch off wait like 15 seconds and turn standby off. whoever was asking about it cooling, the tubes don't completly cool off but say when the powers on and your playing the tubes are at 100 (temp or soemthing) when it goes to standby only they will go to like 75. so it just cuts some of the juice flowing to it so it doesn't go to 100 ot 0
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
I let my amps warm up for about a minute and a half, just to be safe. But thirty seconds should suffice.
Oh..i thought standby was for when you are playing and you wanna keep the tubes hot so it makes sound and you need to stop playing for a minute and you want it to stop making that low fuzzy noise it makes when nothing is playing. So when you come back you can just take standby off and keep playing. I mean i would have never guessed its to help cool the tubes by the name of the switch being "standby".
This is the first I've heard of a standby switch. Mine is a 50 watt Marshall Amp (AVT 50) and the only switch I use is the power switch.

Yeah, I'm not hugely knowledgeable about guitars or amps........
Quote by Lateralus17
This is the first I've heard of a standby switch. Mine is a 50 watt Marshall Amp (AVT 50) and the only switch I use is the power switch.

Yeah, I'm not hugely knowledgeable about guitars or amps........

That's because your AVT's power amp section is solid state.
Quote by Pacifica112J
That's because your AVT's power amp section is solid state.

Excellent. I thought I'd been doing something terribly wrong for a long while...........
What about a peavey classic 30? Is there anything special i should do before turning it off? It has no stanby
ummm, just so you know, to turn it off you can just flip the power switch off. oyu dont need to let them "cool down".
i like to let mine cool down just because it makes a popping sound if I go from ON - OFF instead of ON - STANDBY - OFF
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Standby basically just shorts the connection between the amp and the speakers. Thats as much as i know from the wiring. I dont see how it causes the tubes to get "cooler"
Quote by elchico04
i like to let mine cool down just because it makes a popping sound if I go from ON - OFF instead of ON - STANDBY - OFF

I blew a preamp tube cutting my amp off before I cut it on standby.

Its hard on amps to cut them directly off.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by chea_man
ummm, just so you know, to turn it off you can just flip the power switch off. oyu dont need to let them "cool down".

You need to let the amp cool before you attempt to move it.