Are they possible? I have bassist friends (i'm merely a guitarist, but my bass journey begins in september ) who claim they can't be done, and no-one will let me try on their bass, so I am asking YOU, fellow UGers. Can any kind of harmonic be produced on a bass? Natural, artificial, pinched, tapped...whatever.

Thanks for listening.

EDIT: Before someone points it out, I realise that pinches are artificial, as are tapped ones be (you can have tapped naturals too).
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Aug 3, 2007,
All harmonics that are possible on guitar, are also possible on bass and any other stringed instrument.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
All harmonics that are possible on guitar, are also possible on bass and any other stringed instrument.

Do you need more volume/distortion etc to make them show up compared to a guitar? Like do the thicker/longer strings on a bass make the harmonics less distinguishable unless amplified or are they as easily achieved as on a guitar?
Ah but most basses can't do Whammy harmonics cause we dont have a whammy bar. And you can't do pintched harmonics that well. But all others you can. I would go as far as to say harmonics on bass sound better than they do on guitar - they sound fuller and richer and you get loads of glorious overtones, I feel harmonics sound thin on guitars, especially when distortion is used.

Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
Do you need more volume/distortion etc to make them show up compared to a guitar? Like do the thicker/longer strings on a bass make the harmonics less distinguishable unless amplified or are they as easily achieved as on a guitar?

Boosting the mids and highs helps a bit but then the rest is technique. Solo'ing a bridge pup helps too.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
doesnt John Myung use harmonics on itro to dream theater - as i am? :O
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
listen to the opening of Birdland by Weather Report. thats Jaco, a man who you should get to know. He is doing pinch harmonics on a fretless jazz bass. You can do any type of harmonic on bass.
So it goes.
Quote by bassandcello
listen to the opening of Birdland by Weather Report. thats Jaco, a man who you should get to know. He is doing pinch harmonics on a fretless jazz bass. You can do any type of harmonic on bass.

aaah, Jaco.... best there is
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by magvol

I believe so...or at least he did at Budokan.

And for the full glory of bass harmonics, listen to Disposition by Tool
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I like to hit the 5th fret natural harmonic and then quickly fret the note and slide it up. It's pretty damn cool.
Gear:

Fender Mexi Fat Strat
2005 Taylor 614ce

Fender MIM J-Bass Fretless
Portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius.

/thread
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
A bassist friend told you that? How long has he been playing? A day?
Quote by Jonnomainman
Ah but most basses can't do Whammy harmonics cause we dont have a whammy bar.

You can buy trems for bass, although they are a bit unusual.

Yes harmonics are entirley possible infact i would say the big strings and fret spacing make harmonics a lot easier to achive, the "sweet spot" is obviously bigger. All types of harmonics are possible, tapped, artificial, whatever, you can do it on a bass. Infact I TUNE my bass with a little help from harmonics.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I think harmonics are better suited on bass. On guitar, some of the harmonics are so high-pitched you can barely make them out. On bass, you can hear almost every harmonic clearly. Even the ones just after or just before the 3rd fret. I can even hear the harmonics at the 2nd fret.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Have they never seen Victor Wooten's Amazing Grace solo?!
[img]http://myspace-774.vo.llnwd.net/00952/47/76/952176774_l.jpg[/img]
That's me, bitch!
The only time harmonics sound better on guitar than on bass is when Sonic Youth uses them.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
They are possible, it's how I intoned my friends bass after we took the neck off and bridge off to repaint it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
haha either your friends are really in experienced, or jsut douche bags being dinks to play a joke

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
we can do natural and tapped artificial harmonics with distortion they can get a kind of pinched harmonic squeal going some times i can get a pinched harmonic but it never sounds quite right
Quote by Applehead
What are harmonics?

Duh, nooblet.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
^ Yes, yes, yes. Sigworthy. Too bad you can't sig context.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
if you joking thats preety funny

if not.....*smacks*

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by magvol

look on youtube harmonics john myung, on his bassvideo he does solo's with them And yes he uses them in As I am, and in lifting shadows of a dream, and in another world in ACOS, and in his own song solar groove
Quote by -zj*
+1 to Portrait of Tracy
+1 to Amazing Grace

+1 to I Can't Believe Someone Actually Made This a Thread.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by DeAd-RiP
we can do natural and tapped artificial harmonics with distortion they can get a kind of pinched harmonic squeal going some times i can get a pinched harmonic but it never sounds quite right

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7179726751961627284&q=wooten

watch the first song.... steve bailley
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
Last edited by Slap n Thump at Aug 4, 2007,
possibly, depending on what you consider 'whail'. Harmonics are frequencies that are perfect multiples of the normal note, or something close to that. If you dont understand that, its alot higher than what the note would normally be. And if applehead is serious, he better not be in a band.