Okay, So I was reading through the lesson on Music Theory, which is awesome and is helping me a whole lot, when it got to modes.

So modes are alterations of the major scale... but what key are they in?

Like say you're song is in the key of C, and you're soloing in... C minor, right? Can you switch to like C Locrian, or would you be out of key? Are they just for soloing over different chords? Can you switch between modes in a solo, or no?
If your playing say the E phrygian, then you can say you're either playing in E Phrygian OR a mode of C Major.

Well, switchin between C minor (im assuming you mean aeolian?) and C Locrian would produce a different sound if played correctly, but its something you can do.

You can switch keys whenever you want to.
Been away, am back
Quote by Logz
If your playing say the E phrygian, then you can say you're either playing in E Phrygian OR a mode of C Major.

Well, switchin between C minor (im assuming you mean aeolian?) and C Locrian would produce a different sound if played correctly, but its something you can do.

You can switch keys whenever you want to.

So E Phrygian is in the key of E, not C, right?

And I thought when playing a solo to a song, you're supposed to stay in key with the song, not switch keys?
Well, sometimes songs change key. This is extremely common in jazz.

You'd get better answers in the Musician Talk forum.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by blakkin
So E Phrygian is in the key of E, not C, right?

And I thought when playing a solo to a song, you're supposed to stay in key with the song, not switch keys?

E Phrygian is in the key of A minor and C major. You can play in whatever key you want to really, it just depends whether that key sounds good/terrible with that particular song.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Yes, you can switch modes during a solo, you can go through all the modes in one solo if you want.