I currently have a Gibson Melody Maker (dual pick-up), and while the single-coil pickups are nice (no complaints, really), they ARE a bit noisy at times. To remedy this I was thinking of buying those Gibson '57 Classic and Classic Plus humbuckers. Now, bear with me, for I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to the whole guitar upgrade/alteration business, so I have a few questions:

1. I know that sometimes people just install a bridge humbucker. Should I just get the bridge humbucker, or should I get both bridge and neck humbuckers?

2. How do I properly alter the guitar to fit the humbucker(s) so that the guitar body and pickguard don't end up looking like crap? Or should I get it done professionally to avoid the chance of that?

3. If I end up doing it myself, how do I go about installing them (or it, depending on the answer to question 1)?

Thanks in advance!
1. That depends on the tone you want out of your guitar and the style of music you play personal preference really

2. I would imagine the hole for the single would have to be routed again to fit a humbucker i would leave that to someone who knows what their doing

3.installing is pretty easy take the cover off of the back take out old pickup solder new one up using the correct wiring diagram
Gear:
ESP ltd MH-1000
Jackson DK2T
Bugera 6262-212
Roland Cube 30X

I Was at Download 07/08/09/10 Because I'm not a Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!
Why not just wire in a dummy coil under the pickguard, away from the strings.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Syn_66
1. That depends on the tone you want out of your guitar and the style of music you play personal preference really

2. I would imagine the hole for the single would have to be routed again to fit a humbucker i would leave that to someone who knows what their doing

3.installing is pretty easy take the cover off of the back take out old pickup solder new one up using the correct wiring diagram

2. Thought so, haha because I sure don't know what I'm doing. Is there anywhere I could get that done? I know Guitar Centers do repairs, would they do something like this too?