i have a question for you. i am a songwriter and i have written out the guitar, bass, and drum parts for some songs of mine. i recently bought an 8-track fostex digital recorder to get these songs down. however, when i started recording i immediately ran into a problem... i cant manually press the record button when im sitting at my drumset. i thought that buying a footswitch would solve the problem, but much to my dismay i found out afterwards that you cant use the footswitch to start a recording. i know there is a way to auto-punch in, but even if i set the auto-punch i still dont have enough time to get over to my drumset before the recording starts. does anyone know of a way to solve this problem?? thanks
put the recorder next to what you are recording...like drums
set up for a 4 or 8 count in and start playing.
when the song is done on drums let it count out 4 or 8 beats and then press the stop button.

This is why I prefer using the computer for recording...you can edit the track more IMO

if you can, get someone to help push buttons on the recorder
Thats why i dont use digital recorders. If i were you, i would have bought a USB mixer, and any recording software, cheaper, and in my opinion, alot better.
yeah, i wouldve much rather had a computer recording setup but my comp is in a different room then my instruments (plus theres not much extra room for it anyways.) i havent had any other problems so far and the sound quality is excellent, but obviously this is a big problem
I know, digital recorders have great quality, but it's always better when you can edit everything on a screen.
so there is no other way around it, besides running over to my drumset and having an extra 30 seconds of silence and fumbling around at the beginning of the song?
Quote by derekmichael
yeah, i wouldve much rather had a computer recording setup but my comp is in a different room then my instruments (plus theres not much extra room for it anyways.) i havent had any other problems so far and the sound quality is excellent, but obviously this is a big problem

how about rewiring the music room to have a network cable...its just CAT5 or CAT5E wire with a plastic crimp connector on it...cheap stuff.

You could also setup for wireless internet so you can put your desktop in the music room.

Can't you hook that recorder into a computer and edit out the first few seconds without audio on the track?

The MTRs are great for portability and quality but they do have their limits and thats why I use a computer based setup even though its a good 25 feed away from my music room...
I have to rewire my music room to move my computer around one of these days...