Page 1 of 2
hey,
i'm planning on buying a new guitar, and I've narrowed it down to two choices
at this point

i'm looking for a guitar that will stand out (crazy shape) with a floyd, my price is around or under $500 without taxes/shipping

this is what i found
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-F250-Electric-Guitar?sku=516663

but then i saw this guitar
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-FX260-Spalted-Maple?sku=512886

i love how it looks, but i don't want the tune-o-matic bridge

any opinions on the guitars?

im also open to suggestions
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
the FX-260 is a better guitar by a million miles, you're better off sacrificing the Floyd for better body wood, pickups and tuners and pretty much everything that is on this guitar.
Quote by Eric 666
the FX-260 is a better guitar by a million miles, you're better off sacrificing the Floyd for better body wood, pickups and tuners and pretty much everything that is on this guitar.

Agree'd, the FX-260 is a much better guitar than the other one.
Quote by ep1kz
wtf? why didnt you punch one of them in the face or something? they're not girls, they are fat chavs, they are their own gender
Just the Active EMG's that alone are retailining for that much, so you might as well buy the 400 because the passive EMG's on the 260 arent really the nicest pickups, and you'd be spending about 200 bucks on active EMG's if you wanted them, if you have other preferences (Duncans, Dimarzios, etc) then get the 260 and in the end it will end up being a bit cheaper if you replace the pickups...also what kind of amp do you have?
i have an epiphone triggerman halfstack, not the best, but it works

are the active emgs good ones?, because most people use an 81 and an 85, but it has an 81 and a 60
Quote by Kensai

It's the pit; nelson mandela could make a thread urging everyone to do an effort towards reducing apartheid politics in some countries and everyone would post a photoshop of him with a melon hat.
yeha dude the 60's are very nice, they have probably the best clean sound out of all the EMG pickups available, the amp if its tube, it will work pretty decently with it.
Quote by Eric 666
yeha dude the 60's are very nice, they have probably the best clean sound out of all the EMG pickups available, the amp if its tube, it will work pretty decently with it.

the amp is solid state,

will they still have a nice clean sound?

and the xiphos is a bit more than i was looking to spend,
and i hate the edge 3
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Eric 666
Has the dodgy Edge III Tremolo, seriously...Ibanez, c'mon guys why put a ****ty trem on a 700 dollar guitar? geez...sometimes it makes me wonder.

YEAH...
I thought it had a edge pro on it...
Quote by Retardwitguitar
the amp is solid state,

will they still have a nice clean sound?

and the xiphos is a bit more than i was looking to spend,
and i hate the edge 3

well I'm guessing it will have a decent clean sound, maybe add a slight hint of reverb or delay and they'll be very nice to work with.
alright, that works perfectly with the equipment i have
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Retardwitguitar
is there enough difference between the fx-260
and fx-400
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-FX400-Spalted-Maple?sku=512887

to spend the extra $200?

I would definatly say it is worth it to spend the extra dough. Not only do you get active pickups, well worth the $200 upgrade, but you get a better built guitar as well.

You can always install a Kahler trem on a guitar with a hardtail bridge if you want to make it floating (ability to dive and raise pitch)
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Edge III = **** anyway...

How good the guitar might be... how nice it might be, just drop it whenever it has a Edge III
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would definatly say it is worth it to spend the extra dough. Not only do you get active pickups, well worth the $200 upgrade, but you get a better built guitar as well.

You can always install a Kahler trem on a guitar with a hardtail bridge if you want to make it floating (ability to dive and raise pitch)

would i need to do any routing to install it?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Retardwitguitar
would i need to do any routing to install it?

some, but only surface if you get the flatmount I believe its called.
anyone know approx. what that would set me back?

i mean, routing and the bridge
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Retardwitguitar
anyone know approx. what that would set me back?

i mean, routing and the bridge

A kahler is about $250-$350.

Routing and stuff can be done by yourself or maybe a local cabinetmaker, or other craftsman.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
crap,

in that case, i might as well just save money and just buy a whole other guitar with a trem
Quote by Kensai

Your better off not getting a guitar with a LFR or floyd knock off for under 500 bucks. You could either save up a few hundred more and get a quality floyd rose or just go for a string through or tune o matic bridge. The floyds on cheap guitars are known to wear away after alot of use, and of course dont hold there tuning well. There are some LFR's I have used that seem to hold tuning good, but they will still be made of cheaper materials for the most part.
i think ill just go with the fx-400

then wait a year and get a nice guitar with an ofr/kahler
Quote by Kensai

Last edited by Retardwitguitar at Aug 4, 2007,
Quote by gsr2k6
Your better off not getting a guitar with a LFR or floyd knock off for under 500 bucks. You could either save up a few hundred more and get a quality floyd rose or just go for a string through or tune o matic bridge. The floyds on cheap guitars are known to wear away after alot of use, and of course dont hold there tuning well. There are some LFR's I have used that seem to hold tuning good, but they will still be made of cheaper materials for the most part.

Kahlers are in no way a Floyd Rose knockoff.

Many people actually prefer Kahlers to floyd roses because they are much smoother.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Kahlers are in no way a Floyd Rose knockoff.

Many people actually prefer Kahlers to floyd roses because they are much smoother.

Was I talking about Kahlers?
Quote by gsr2k6
Was I talking about Kahlers?

You said floyd rose knockoffs 2 posts after I first suggested Kahler's and their price. I figured you were against my recommendation for a Kahler.

Ah well, if you aren't then . If you are then... . Hah man, jk.

As for the TS, if you want a locking trem equipped guitar, make sure you really want one. By this I mean play one for at least an hour at the local guitar shop. If you put a Kahler on the EX-400, there is no way of going back to a hardtail if routing was involved so you better make sure you really are sure about a trem.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
like i said, im gonna leave the fx-400 like it is and get another guitar eventually
Quote by Kensai

a cheap zany shaped guitar will also more than likely be equipped witha very poor quality floyd.. if you HAVE to get a floyd then go big. otherwise you're gonna be stuck with a average guitar with a cruddy floyd and even crappier electronics.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i've been looking, and after the pay from my job next summer, im looking at being able to afford a guitar in the $1000 range
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Retardwitguitar
i've been looking, and after the pay from my job next summer, im looking at being able to afford a guitar in the $1000 range

Prestige series Ibanez. They put the best hardware into those guitars. The pickups can be iffy, I was getting a near strat clean to a Dream Theater crunch out of an RG-2570EVG though; pickups are pretty opinionated.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
You said floyd rose knockoffs 2 posts after I first suggested Kahler's and their price. I figured you were against my recommendation for a Kahler.

Ah well, if you aren't then . If you are then... . Hah man, jk.

As for the TS, if you want a locking trem equipped guitar, make sure you really want one. By this I mean play one for at least an hour at the local guitar shop. If you put a Kahler on the EX-400, there is no way of going back to a hardtail if routing was involved so you better make sure you really are sure about a trem.

Well, I was replying to the first post, I didnt read the entire thread because well, I am feeling lazy today . Obviously a 300 dollar Kahler will have the quality of a OFR, but I was talking about LFR and the BUDGET trems. I really dont see the point of buying a guitar thats a hardtail, then routing it and buying a kahler to install. Seems so much easier and cheaper and less hassle to go for something like a schecter c1 hellraiser with a OFR or something that already has it and is still a quality instrument.
Quote by gsr2k6
Well, I was replying to the first post, I didnt read the entire thread because well, I am feeling lazy today . Obviously a 300 dollar Kahler will have the quality of a OFR, but I was talking about LFR and the BUDGET trems. I really dont see the point of buying a guitar thats a hardtail, then routing it and buying a kahler to install. Seems so much easier and cheaper and less hassle to go for something like a schecter c1 hellraiser with a OFR or something that already has it and is still a quality instrument.

I concur, it would be easier to buy a new guitar, but it's a hard find for an Explorer, SG, or Les Paul shape with a locking trem.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Kensai

Quote by MESAexplorer
I concur, it would be easier to buy a new guitar, but it's a hard find for an Explorer, SG, or Les Paul shape with a locking trem.

Well, if its worth all of the hassle to him to have an explorer with a Kahler then more power to him for having a unique guitar .

Quote by Retardwitguitar

Eh.... I am sure there decent guitars, but normally the name of one of slayers guitarists adds to the price.

Try to test out one of these...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Hellraiser-C1-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513134

Of course it all comes down to what you think feels and sounds best, try everything. Dont just order it online because somebody says its good or because its slayers sig guitar and you happen to like them.
Last edited by gsr2k6 at Aug 4, 2007,
Quote by Retardwitguitar

They look like you're a slayer fan

The ESP is alder, and I dislike the inlays. I'd probably go with the BC Rich. Their high end models are good stuff. It's their low end stuff, like under $450 that blows horribly.

The Hellraiser is a bitchin guitar, as is the MH-400. They are nearly Identical, just different brands. Well guys, I gotta go to work now. Good luck finding what you want.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
if i want an explorer with a floyd, i could get this
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-Dan-Jacobs-EX?sku=516783

but if i have the fx-400, im not sure if i need 2 explorers

edit: i have the kerry king warlock, but i have an old model without the trem

and the i've played the jh model and it was nice, but i think i should play more guitars before i pick one
Quote by Kensai

Last edited by Retardwitguitar at Aug 4, 2007,
???

i could care less that it's a sig model, and even less how it looks, i was just using it of an example of an explorer with a floyd

edit: oh
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai

bump?
Quote by Kensai

Page 1 of 2