Poll: Which is the best thrash guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the best thrash guitar?
Gibson Explorer
12 36%
Dean Razorback
7 21%
ESP LTD DV8
10 30%
Other
4 12%
Voters: 33.
Which guitar in the 1000 dollar price range would be best for thrash metal? The tone I like is the Anthrax Madhouse tone. I also sort of l ike the Pantera tone. I would also like to know if I should change pickups of the suggested guitar and to what. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

PS: I'll check it out before I buy, I just want to hear what you all think. And I know Amp makes more of a difference the guitar already.
as far as tone goes, amp + pickups are the majority of your tone as well as wood type, guitar shape means little
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
A white Gibson Explorer reeks of thrash.

But as Storm Bringer stated, it's mostly the amp.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
DV8 all the way. Hey, cheep version or not, the king of thrash cant be wrong.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Since It's relatively related to this thread. What PUP's would be the best for me? I was thinking dimebucker and another seymour duncan, but I don't know too much about pup's.
dimebucker with a SD neck pup (the only gripe i have with the dean is that it has a "dean" neck pickup, nothing name brand)

ide go with the razorback
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Ive heard alot of negative things about the Dimebucker.

I myself was recommended an old school Dimarzio Megadrive, the guy who was selling it had said it was a very thrash sounding pickup(although again it really depends on the amp mostly)

Apart from that perhaps the usual suspects? EMG 85-81 combo or Seymour Duncan Jb/59. Even the new Seymour Blackouts are worth the look.
Thanks for the replies. What have you heard negative about the dimebucker? I was thinking Emg's were more of a death metal pickup, but as I said, I pretty much know nothing about pickups.

It seems the razorback is catching up to the dv8 :O
Apparently the dimebucker only is suited for deathmetal / Pantera stuff and they are supposed to sound very flat and not have a good "ChuggaChugga" palm mute sound. of course those genres sounds mostly come from the amp there are a lot better pick-ups for thrash.

Good pick-ups for trash would have to be Dave Mustaine Live Wires (Seymour Duncan) pups. Used by the man himself who plays thrash... enough said?

EDIT: just took this from someone else's post.

Dude I seriously wouldn't put a Dimebucker in any guitar. If you're a big Dimebag fan (I'll assume so, looking at your Username) then go for a Bill Lawrence X500 for your bridge, because that's what Dimebag used in about 70-80% of his guitars. The Dimebucker is very muddy and is over trebley - if you need proof look at any Trivium lesson on youtube and tell me the Dimebucker sounds good.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
Hahaha as soon as you said, they dont have a good "chugga chugga" palm mute sound that I love, I hated those pickups.

Yeah, I was looking at the Live Wires earlier, and they come in a full set .

thanks.
Don't take my word for it though, i haven't personally played them. I was going on what others have said.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i just got a dimebucker installed on my ibanez two days ago and its suited for anything.
in fact it happens to play Trivium very well as well as Lamb of god, or Pantera, and even to From First To Last or Avenged Sevenfold.

maybe its just how i have my amp set?
its a very bassy pickup which gives a really powerful tone and to make it sound very
pleasing to my ears i turned my drive 10, bass 10, mid 0, treble 10 and it happens to sound
very awesome for anything that uses a bit extra of distortion then most.

i could tell its a very good metal/distortion pup because i put my amp to a clean setting and it STILL had a very noticeable trace of distortion and metal sound to it.

i guess it all depends on how you set your amp with it because mine sounds ****ing awesome compared to the piece of crap infinity that used to be there.
I just realized the Dean dave mustaine signature V is coming out in a month and it's only a thousand dollars. (I'm not rich, I'm just comparing it the ESP Signature :P) So I'll definitely want to check that out as soon as possible, as well. Anyone else got their eyes on this dean?

September 15th should be a fun day at the guitar store
frankly dimebuckers are ****in ****e, as i owned a guitar with one, i know how bad they are.

EMGs all the way
Gear: ESP MH250 NT
ESP EX400 ow
Ashton Dualler

Marshall MG50DFX

Jim Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
EHX metal muff
Quote by .arkness:.

James Hetfiekd never played a DV8. you silly man
i know james doesnt play a dv8, thats because hes the prince of thrash, try jackson king v, or sept 15 im getting my dean dave mustaine with those live wires cant wait, for thrash the V is the shape to go with. james use to play gibson v when he started, kerry king bc rich, dave mustaine jackson, esp, dean. i just suggest dv8 or vmnt because already have the pickups that you want. i use to have a les paul with zakk wylde pickups 85 / 81 if you want thrash they are great

What amp are you going to get or do you have a good one already?

if not you already know
mesa or marshall is the only way to go

just my opinion though
try them all
Last edited by bproducts at Sep 8, 2007,
Quote by KFKing
Since It's relatively related to this thread. What PUP's would be the best for me? I was thinking dimebucker and another seymour duncan, but I don't know too much about pup's.

Those are the pickups from hell.

I'm not even trying to make a cute little pun, those things are balls. DO NOT PUT IN A DIMEBUCKER.

I'd suggest some bareknuckles if you can afford them, maybe a Duncan Distortion.

As for the guitar, eliminate the Dime guitar altogether, it's not worth the money. The Explorer and DV8 are both very good, but associating your guitar with someones name sucks, what signed musician plays someone else's guitar?

Therefore, Explorer.
Dickless.
Quote by .arkness:.

But.. James Hetfield doesn't play a DV8

Lemmy invented Thrash. Hetfield re-invented it. Mustaine would be nothing without Hetfield. Fact.

Explorer all the way dude.
Last edited by cheames at Sep 8, 2007,
err...none of the above

for thrash id get a Jackson. hands down.
megadeth, great thrash, thats what they've always used
and Anthrax used Jacksons recording the song Madhouse

but if ur gona get a Jackson, you need to spend a lot to get something really nice

i got a used, great condition, Jackson RR1 string through body and guitar center for $850
best guitar for thrash iv ever played