This isn't a question on how to do them, I know how. What I was wondering was how strongly would more experienced bassists recommend learning these? I think they sound pretty cool but it just isn't my style and I can't slap at all.....I'm a big metalhead so it's really a bunch of faster chugs on the E string......Are popping and slapping really neccesary techniques for a bassist or simply preference?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Almost any technique is an advantage to have in your arsenal. All it does is allow a greater amount of freedom within your playing and it sure as hell can't hurt.

EDIT:
Of course, I am a funk bassist and therefore may be slightly biased.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
learn to slap a little at least, it's fun and easy.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
sslapping is jut fun, funk is the grooviest type of music, metal or not you have to appreciate a good groove, no better place to find one than funky town

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
I used to say that. (I'm not into metal but more alternative & classic rock). So I thought pft slapping ain't my thing. However...

bass = funk = Jamiroquai. It's so fun.
Quote by mustardman
Granted, they're crap, but they're decent.
I also find only a little slap in the music I listen too, so I don't find masses on inspiration to learn to slap. Also, I'm a lefty playing righty, which makes slap far more tricky as I don't have a much control of the slapping hand.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
There's nothing saying you cant play metal and slap too. Look at Claypool, or Tim Commerford from RATM and songs like Bombtrack and Take the Power Back. Learn everything you can, broaden your horizons dude.
I've had real trouble slapping but I guess I might as well learn, thanks I was reall wanting a few opinions before trying harder or putting it to the side...
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Its preference. I STARTED bass with slappin and poppin, so tis natural and usualy comes in everything i play.
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.