When I pluck the D and A strings, the top E string still vibrates even though nothing has touched it. This results in an anoying open E drone. Any ideas?
Go to guitar dealer...sure theyll fix it in no-time.
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
My idea is that you simply mute the E string. Its not uncommon for that to happen.
For those who care.
Current Gear
Cort Zenox Z42
Flextone II
Charvel USA So-Cal
Farida M2 Parlour Acoustic
Admira Hand-built Spanish Acoustic
Blackstar HT-5H
Line 6 M13
i believe its harmony? i might be wrong

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Physically what could be happening is that the natural frequency of the E string is very similar to that of the wave created from the A and D strings.

The interference of the sound waves of the other two strings produces one sound wave. This may have a frequency close to that of the E string, causing it to oscillate and therefore produce it's own sound.
The frequency is the pitch of the sound, therefore maybe if you test the sound that the A and D string produce together (on a tuner) and it says E, Eb or E#, or somewhere round there, you may have a physics answer.

But in terms of why it happens only on your guitar (and if what i have stated above is true in this case); Don't know, good luck.
Quote by jast
Physically what could be happening is that the natural frequency of the E string is very similar to that of the wave created from the A and D strings.

The interference of the sound waves of the other two strings produces one sound wave. This may have a frequency close to that of the E string, causing it to oscillate and therefore produce it's own sound.
The frequency is the pitch of the sound, therefore maybe if you test the sound that the A and D string produce together (on a tuner) and it says E, Eb or E#, or somewhere round there, you may have a physics answer.

But in terms of why it happens only on your guitar (and if what i have stated above is true in this case); Don't know, good luck.

Pretty much exactly right, as for why it happends on his guitar, I am guessing the shape, wood and design of the guitar amplify the wave from the A/D string (or atleast carry them better than other guitars) so it is more apparent here.
Gear:
Ibanez SA260FM
Ibanez AWD83
Boss GT8
Boss RC20-XL
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
so basically the only thing you can do is learn to mute the string, or strings, that you don't want to ring out as you play.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
harmonics

play the natural harmonic at the 7th fret on the A string
thats the same note as the high E

and when you play the open A string, that resonates through the bridge into the E and makes it start moving as well
You should learn to mute all of the strings you're not playing on. It's a good habit to get into.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!