i want my bass to have a cool clanky tone like frank bello on persistance of time (anthrax) i tryed lowering the action but that just gives me really harsh fret noise. any ideas how i could get a tone like that? i play a p bass btw
Low action and light strings. In your case, you might need to raise the action a touch. You could also detune a bit, to Eb or D.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
and play near the bridge. the closer to the bridge you pick, the more treble you get.

I put my tobacco under my upper lip, just like anyone would do.

Yamaha RGX A2, Fender FM 212R.
It hurts, but you force your finger down into the strings near the bridge. Its makes a "fup" sound when you play, and gets a really clanky sound with the right tone
Quote by Fast_Bear
someone sig that typo!

no

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
My amp is so loud, it has no number system.

It's only rated in decibels of loud and louder.
Change your attack so that your fingers are coming down diagonally onto the strings rather pulling across them, if you get me...I'm not doing a great job of explaining it.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
try use regular light stainless stell strings and use a pick near the bridge...i use this for a clanky tone its good beacuse i can just pick with my fingers near the neck when i want a smoother sound
Member #12 of the Can't we forget about punk, emo, and all the other subgenres and just ROCK? group. pm rockon1824 to join

Quote by Taoistic_Beer

HEY GUYS, DANI CALIFORNIA ON MAX VOLUME, 100 % CLEAN. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Clanky as in early Rise Against clanky?
I agree with Sammcl, hit the strings at a slight angle, so the pick brushes against the notches in the strings, or something like that.
or you could get the steve harris clanky and use three fingers to play and sort of gallop your fingers on the strings. thats how i get a clanky sound
When I started playing bass, I couldnt afford a amp.
So I had to play very hard on the strings with my fingers, so I could what I was playing...
Because of that I have a natural clankyness, or somemat...

Its a quite bad hapit unless you are playing Iron Maiden or stuff like that... But its my sound and ill stick with it...
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
If your amp has a horn driver/tweeter, that should also help give you a clanky sound.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Instead of pulling the strings across, pull them down so they clank on the fretboard. I like the tone it gives, very precussive.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by sammcl-15
Change your attack so that your fingers are coming down diagonally onto the strings rather pulling across them, if you get me...I'm not doing a great job of explaining it.

Quote by gm jack
Instead of pulling the strings across, pull them down so they clank on the fretboard. I like the tone it gives, very precussive.

Didn't I say that already?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
Didn't I say that already?

I elaborated on your post. You said yourself you didn't explain too well.

I rephrased it and added what you are trying to achieve.

And I couldn't be bothered to go back up the page and check
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1