Page 1 of 2
Okay, so to start this off, I have very little experience with the inner workings of a computer. All I've really done is install a new hard drive once.

However, in the year I spent at college, I realized that it's not very often I use my laptop as a laptop. It mostly just sits parked on my desk. It's not the best computer, and the hard drive is quickly running out of space. I'd like to upgrade to something bigger and better, so I decided on getting a desktop. Now, with the advice from a few friends, and browsing around, I decided that I would get a much better system if I built my own computer, rather than purchasing one from somewhere like HP or Dell. I hear it's not terribly difficult either.

I have a version of Windows Vista Ultimate that I... acquired, which I plan on installing. If I decide I don't like it, I have a version of Windows XP Pro. I would also like to dual-boot with some form of Linux as well.

Here is the prospective set up I've found looking around newegg.com. I also plan on using this guide to get me through the building process- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC/Printable_version

Case with 500 watt power supply
motherboard
processor
RAM (probably getting 2 sets)
HDD
graphics card
DVD burner
monitor
speakers

For sound- the motherboard has a built in sound card.

How does this look? Do I need a network interface card to get to the internet? I can't tell whether or not the motherboard has one built in.

Sorry for the wall of text...
It's fairly easy building a computer really.

I would advise you to get a separate sound card, the built ins are usually crap.

When I buildt mine I got two network interface cards, one for wire and one for wireless

Edit: couldn't be bothered to check the specifics of all the cards and stuff, but you might want to check if 500W power supply is enough!
...And the worms ate into his brain.
Also if you buy a separate sound card it will use less power than the onboard sound and you will get much better quality. Its not hard to put a computer together you should do fine.
Looks like the motherboard has some sort of network interface card built in.

It all looks fairly good although, the RAM you linked to is 2 x 1gb sticks and you said you were thinking of getting 2 sets, what will you be using this computer for? if you're installing XP pro i highly doubt you will need 4gb but I'm not too sure about vista, i heard it's a bitch for wasting RAM.

Edit: Yeah by the look of it, it has an Ethernet port just by the USB ports.

Edit 2: The 500 watt power supply, is that going to be enough?

I'd advise buying the most powerful power supply you can afford.
Last edited by guitarcrazy1991 at Aug 4, 2007,
I'm going to use the computer for general college use- internet, homework, music, movies (I have a lot of media- hence the large hard drive), I also want to play flight simulators and stuff. The RAM was mostly going to be for Vista, which I've heard is a memory hog, and I intend to upgrade to it eventually, when service packs and such are released if I don't like it at first.
Unless you are running two gfx cards in sli you won't need more than a 500 watt power supply
Any suggestions for a good soundcard? I'd like to be able to record onto this too, if I could.
my only advice as to make the thing better is to buy a separate power supply. you'll do fine with the one that's in there surely, but the ones you buy separate are higher quality, which can prove vital in the stability of the pc.
Building a computer is not as hard as you may think, just follow the instructions in your guide and make sure you have all the parts
It doesn't seem difficult, but if you put it all together, press the button and it doesn't turn on, what are you going to do then?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Don't you DARE buil that beast of a computer, then pussy out with onboard sound!!!

Jeez, get a ****ing decent sound card too, and a good set of speakers. What's the point having a beastly rig when your sound is like a duck farting?

[/audiophile]
Custom builts FTW, my advice, take this to the tech forums. Those guys know there stuff. that case and power supply looks poor, you shouldn't skimp on them as if they break it can **** up other expensive components.

Good luck and try and get a friend to help you who has done it before. Its really not as hard as some people seem to think.

EDIT: also that graphics card is not for gaming, get a 8800gts 320mb if you wanna game.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Okay, so to start this off, I have very little experience with the inner workings of a computer. All I've really done is install a new hard drive once.

However, in the year I spent at college, I realized that it's not very often I use my laptop as a laptop. It mostly just sits parked on my desk. It's not the best computer, and the hard drive is quickly running out of space. I'd like to upgrade to something bigger and better, so I decided on getting a desktop. Now, with the advice from a few friends, and browsing around, I decided that I would get a much better system if I built my own computer, rather than purchasing one from somewhere like HP or Dell. I hear it's not terribly difficult either.

I have a version of Windows Vista Ultimate that I... acquired, which I plan on installing. If I decide I don't like it, I have a version of Windows XP Pro. I would also like to dual-boot with some form of Linux as well.

Here is the prospective set up I've found looking around newegg.com. I also plan on using this guide to get me through the building process- http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC/Printable_version

Case with 500 watt power supply
motherboard
processor
RAM (probably getting 2 sets)
HDD
graphics card
DVD burner
monitor
speakers

For sound- the motherboard has a built in sound card.

How does this look? Do I need a network interface card to get to the internet? I can't tell whether or not the motherboard has one built in.

Sorry for the wall of text...

go with a good sound card, on boards are cheap and crappy...

as for building...its easy, finding the parts to put in it and choosing what works with what is the hard part.

heres a site I went though when building my first PC:

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/index.php
When you buy your motherboard, does it come with a manual so you can see where you're supposed to plug everything in?
make sure you dont end up doing what i did and get a CPU that isnt supported by the motherboard
2 suggestions:

1) if youre on a budget, get the Core2Duo E6300 and overclock the crap outta it...it'll get you the speed of the one that you have selected for much cheaper

2) bigger power supply. all of the nvidia 8xxx series are power hogs, plus if you wanna upgrade later, it doesnt allow much room to do so. Id say get atleast a 700W powersupply
Quote by campbell92
When you buy your motherboard, does it come with a manual so you can see where you're supposed to plug everything in?

Everything is colour-coded, and the manual with the graphics card etc. should tell you anyway.

Actually building it isn't that hard, when you turn it on is when things get difficult imo.
Last edited by Womage at Aug 4, 2007,
Quote by rabidguitarist
It doesn't seem difficult, but if you put it all together, press the button and it doesn't turn on, what are you going to do then?

Throw it out the window?
Ditch the idea and get an iMac
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Joey Radical
Ditch the idea and get an iMac

Also ditch a load of money that could have been used on an overall better machine, that wouldn't simply be scrap once it gets too old!!!

Quote by Vermintide
Also ditch a load of money that could have been used on an overall better machine, that wouldn't simply be scrap once it gets too old!!!

But...

It's a Mac
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
the MSI P6N Platinum is a great choice for a mobo. I have one. Works great.

However, if I were you, I'd get the G. Skills 2x1GB set RAM. They're cheaper and basically the same thing.

Other than that, it looks pretty good. Building a computer is not too different from building Legos or inserting a game deck into an old video game console. I'd get a friend who has experience building computers to back me up though.

I have Vista Home Premium and it works fine for the most part.
Quote by rabidguitarist

Spoken like a true n00b.

Quote by Joey Radical
But...

It's a Mac

Good reasoning. Typical quality standard reasoning from a Mac fanboy.

What are you going to say next? "It just works!"
Last edited by poopt at Aug 4, 2007,
Yes, I am a Mac fanboy. And I have no idea why I like it, but I do.

And you might try to edit your first post instead of posting three posts in a row, sport :p
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Quote by Joey Radical
Yes, I am a Mac fanboy. And I have no idea why I like it, but I do.

come on say it...

"It just works!!!!"

*tries to resist urge*

*fails*

"It just works!!! Now I'm going to make a Podcast, an iWeb webpage, and a photo album from my trip to the convenience store"
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Quote by Joey Radical

*tries to resist urge*

*fails*

"It just works!!! Now I'm going to make a Podcast, an iWeb webpage, and a photo album from my trip to the convenience store"

Don't forget to upload your newest artsy song from Garageband to your Myspace.
Hey guys if you don't know what you are talking about then I suggest not saying anything. While the Apevia 500W PSU is not the best its far from "underpowered". It will be more then enough to power that system. I have much more internal and power hungry hardware then that and I have it all running stable and overclocked with only a 450W quality PSU. As long as it has 12v rails and decent output it should be fine. The 8600GT is a decent card and will be more then enough for casual gaming so no need to spend $280-300 on a GTS. Corsair RAM is very quality stuff and will do you just fine. The CPU is a beast and will be way more then what you need. The 4MB combined L2 cache is really great as well as its ability to OC way over 3.0GHZ. As far as the motherboard goes I would suggest the Nvidia 680i chipset as it has much more potential. Monitor wise I would suggest something else, I have never been satisfied with HansG monitors due to the lack of color and viewing angles. For the sound card if you are going to record then I suggest something on a more professional level like the M-Audio cards but the Creative X-Fi's are also amazing but lack less recording possibilities. Overall thats quite a nice system and good luck building it. Its honestly not that hard just take your time and organize your cables for better airflow within the case (which is horrible BTW go with Thermaltake or an Antec 900 which will be MUCH better then that Apevia.
Custom Strat
Boss BD-2 Blues Driver
Electro Harmonix #1 Echo
Fender Blues Jr.
Crate V18

“America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Quote by random_idiot144
Antec 900

That's what I have. It's so badass. Quiet. Good designs.
Go with an NZXT case. They're (IMO) the best out there. They have great quality, sweet designs, sweet support team, and good cooling.

Also, the 8600gt will work fine. Whoever said you need a gts is a dumbass, cuz they stem from the same card, its just a bit higher clock speeds, etc.
Logos and websites for low prices - pm me

Quote by SideshowRaven24
wow dude way to think innovative. nice plan.
Quote by icon_player_5
that would be awesome if you saw it all the way through, good imagination

Fender Telecaster
60s Epi-Acoustic
Fender Pro-Junior
Boss BD-2
Quote by poopt
That's what I have. It's so badass. Quiet. Good designs.

Antec 900 ftw

Thats before i got my 7.1 and 8800gts

EDIT: Guy who said 8600gt is like the 8800gts is the dumbass.
Last edited by slashnmash at Aug 5, 2007,
It's not the wattage of the power supply that is questionable, it's the power it can send down the 12v rail(s). I doubt it's enough for your video card.
Oh Shit!
I say do the build we did for my uncle. Dual AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.0GHz, 4 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive, dual 8800 Ultra 768MB, 7.1 surround sound, liquid cooling all around, with a 2x Blu-Ray player. Now, initially I was going to build this, but then my aunt didn't trust me with all that stuff, so we went with Alienware, since she likes them after we bought my laptop. The final cost was about $6000, I forget what the price was when I was going to build it.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
If you're getting 2 sets of 2GB of RAM, don't. It's unnecessary, and is a waste of money - just stick with 2, wether it is vista or XP.

Also, possibly consider scrapping the PSU that comes with the case and get a seperate one... although that should be just as good as any other tbh.

It's really not that hard to build one - you planning on overclocking?
Hey. Just wanna say well done for choosing to build your own machine. Its the best way! Its dead easy, the only hard part is just making sure before you push that buy button that all of the components are compatible. For example my motherboard is really picky about the power supply it has, even though allot say they are compatible. Is this respect google is your best friend. Spend some time before you buy, looking at reviews and opinions of people who own and use the hardware. Once you've done that it plain sailing. Just read the manuals to all the bits and pieces and its as easy as that! Once you've finished do what random_idiot144 said and spend some time organizing the cables to maximize airflow, not only will it make the whole thing look better but it will help keep your temps down and give you more overclocking headroom (if you choose to do it). Good luck.
Quote by Metal_Injection
I got my first Orange today!!!! Its a Orange crush 15 watt with reverb, just a practice amp!! let me join!!!!

Quote by slatsmania
You can, but you have to sit at the kids' table for dinner.

Gibson LP + Orange Rocker 30
If you are using it for gaming, I suggest getting a separate sound card. Trust me, its a world of difference. It looks good though other than that. Building a computer is not as hard as you might think.
Quote by AngusX
I say do the build we did for my uncle. Dual AMD Athlon 64 X2 3.0GHz, 4 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive, dual 8800 Ultra 768MB, 7.1 surround sound, liquid cooling all around, with a 2x Blu-Ray player. Now, initially I was going to build this, but then my aunt didn't trust me with all that stuff, so we went with Alienware, since she likes them after we bought my laptop. The final cost was about $6000, I forget what the price was when I was going to build it.

A LOT less i expect, damn alienware. It would be funny if they sold their cases seperatly at sensible prices. They are the only things badass about them.
Page 1 of 2