Do I need a truss rod adjustment?
Or just adjust my action?

How do I tell which one I need?

Im pretty weary of messing with the truss rod.. D:
where is it buzzing? what strings and what frets.

always start with the bridge anyway.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Low E and A strings.....pretty much the whole fretboard
Last edited by fartripper67 at Aug 4, 2007,
use a small wrench to turn and lower the pegs on the front of the saddles. that will raise each string.

try that see if u can get the buzzing to lessen without raising the action too much.

Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

don't be scared of working your rod in these situations. XD

some people will tell you that you can screw your stuff up real bad.. and maybe they're right. i've been doing my own adjustments for 12 years and have never screwed up my guitars or basses. just remember in 90% of cases less is more. eighth or quarter turns are usually the way to go when adjusting anything. including the saddle pieces that JJ suggested you start with first. ( i'd also agree to start with the bridges)
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
don't be scared of working your rod in these situations. XD

some people will tell you that you can screw your stuff up real bad.. and maybe they're right. i've been doing my own adjustments for 12 years and have never screwed up my guitars or basses. just remember in 90% of cases less is more. eighth or quarter turns are usually the way to go when adjusting anything. including the saddle pieces that JJ suggested you start with first. ( i'd also agree to start with the bridges)

I think truss rod adjustments should be sort of a last resort (short of re-fretting), because there are lots of other things you can do to sort out buzz that are easier, and less likely to screw up your neck.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Firstly look and see if the neck is straight. If it isn't, then take it to a shop to get it sorted out. If the neck seems fine then go ahead and raise the action just enough to not buzz in the way others have explained. It would be worth it to go ahead and get a whole set up at a music shop, it will make it play so much better. It will cost a little bit, but its worth it seeing you only have to do it once in a while if you keep using the same gauge string.
^^^yeah, i mean, neck adjustments are a part of setting up, but id rather see how the bridge adjustment goes.

then talk him thru any additional adjustments that might be needed.

^before we send him to a shop for a $40 setup on a starter guitar. let's see what he says after he reposts.

if the guitar is right off the shelf, then he might be able to get them to turn the truss rod for him. but lets just see what's needed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

in a sense. a lot of fret buzz can occur due to bad/non existent setups at the shop, new strings, strings being too old, humidity and temperature fluctuations, full moons, beer being left out and becoming warm..

ok the last 2 maybe not.. but there are many reasons why a guitar might have buzzing issues. but yea, truss rods are the last in the cycle of adjustments. i usually go saddle height, truss, intonation. and then maybe a couple more times if need be. kinda like when you tune a floyd, you have to do it a few times for it to stick.

EDIT: if its brand new, most, if not all, shops will set it up for you for free within a week of purchase.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by jj1565
^before we send him to a shop for a $40 setup on a starter guitar. let's see what he says after he reposts.

RG321's are decent starter guitars, certainly worth the setup in my opinion.
^^^I concur, although I was lucky enough to have it setup PERFECT from the factory. No buzz, straight neck, intonation was good enough that I didn't bother changing it (off by about 1/4 of a semi-tone, that's 1/8th of a step)

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
I Had it set up when i bought it, it just seems to have grown some fret buzz.

I made it slightly better by raising the action, i would like to raise i bit more but im worried about raising it too much, if its even possible to raise it too much.
well, it could be the way ur fretting the notes. or because the strings are the original ones and need to be swapped out.

or that the neck is more straight than it needs to be.

if u want to measure the neck angle so u can adjust it, let me know.
if u want them to fix their setup then that's fine too.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
if u want to measure the neck angle so u can adjust it, let me know.

If you could inform me of your technique kind sir.
i suppose it's "maam" but that's ok, ur not the first.

fret the low E first fret, at the same time,
fret the low E last fret, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fretwire there, then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

321's are one my favorite axes. Shame that most that I've played have low E fret buzz, at the nut.

What amp do you have to compliment it? If you have a **** one, get a AD30VT or Cube 30x to compliment it. Trust me on the Cube, I'm addicted to them.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
My bad on the sir part >_<

And i havent got an amp yet, but ill be getting a micro cube in a couple weeks.

It doesnt seem to be hitting the fretwire when i do that, but it is verry close to it
Quote by fartripper67

It doesnt seem to be hitting the fretwire when i do that, but it is verry close to it

Then you should raise the action just a tad with the method that Jenny posted.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by philjay
^^^I concur, although I was lucky enough to have it setup PERFECT from the factory. No buzz, straight neck, intonation was good enough that I didn't bother changing it (off by about 1/4 of a semi-tone, that's 1/8th of a step)

:stickpoke
Fender Highway 1 Fat Strat
Fender MIM Standard Strat(EMG SL-20 loaded pickguard)
Gibson Les Paul Special
PRS SE singlecut
Schecter C-1 Classic
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Vox Valvetronix AD50-VT
Fender Blues Jr
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by PunishedOne
Then you should raise the action just a tad with the method that Jenny posted.

I already raised it awful lot, Im weary of raising it more, as the little screw is below the top hole of the saddle, and dont want to raise it so much to where it will come off >.>
Quote by fartripper67

does the buzzing go thru whatever amp u do have?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ok, since we are on fret buzzing, I might as well ask my question. It's the first time I've ever had fret buzz, maybe it's the dirt on the fretboard (haven't changed the strings in like 6 months or so), but I have no idea. It buzzes the most on the B string's 8th fret (when I press on the 8th fret, the buzzing seems to be coming somewhere around the 17th fret or so, I guess). It's an Epi LP standard, what should I do to it? Thanks.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
change ur strings, swap one string at a time and get the same gauge, unless u feel like moving the action around.

but no matter what, ull want to swap out those strings.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
change ur strings, swap one string at a time and get the same gauge, unless u feel like moving the action around.

but no matter what, ull want to swap out those strings.

Thanks Jen, I'll change them today. I'll try cleaning the bridge too with some cloth, I haven't cleaned it since I last changed the strings.
Look!

yeah, just know if u take off all the strings, the bridge might fall off.

no biggie, just catch it and put it back on the same way.

also, adjusting the thumbscrews on the bridge post, moves the bridge up and down. so if u break in those strings and still are getting some buzz, just repost or lift the bridge a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
yeah, just know if u take off all the strings, the bridge might fall off.

no biggie, just catch it and put it back on the same way.

also, adjusting the thumbscrews on the bridge post, moves the bridge up and down. so if u break in those strings and still are getting some buzz, just repost or lift the bridge a little.

Weird, I've swapped the strings on it before and I don't remember the bridge falling off. And if I still get some fret buzz, I'll be sure to try lifting the bridge. Once again, thanks a lot .
Look!