how do you find out what key songs are in or is it just something you have to be able to tell by ear
it depends on the chord progression
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
id say C just beacause all three chords revolve around the C note
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Prove to her you won't shoot any real prostitutes. Bring one back, and show your mum how curteous and polite you can be with them.
c is wrong. assuming those are all major chords, it's not in a certain key, cause C C# and D are chromatic to each other, meaning consecutive half steps. So, if you're writing a melody, keep the notes of the melody within the notes of the chord at that time. Or, if they're powerchords, they can kinda fit in the G blues scale and have C# be the blue note.
if you know the key signature (what flats/sharps) or what scale it is based off of then you can tell by that
My gear:
gibson sg
fender stratocaster
vox AD30
crybaby wah
Quote by Sage
if you know the key signature (what flats/sharps) or what scale it is based off of then you can tell by that

Bud, how would he know what the key signature is if he doesnt know the key

But for a key, it doesnt really have one. Like that one guy said, those chord are chromatic so really you could say it changes key every chord change.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
of course if could be c major d minor(which are in c major) and then the c# whatever just modulates
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
i'd say d major maybe...

because that explains the d, and you can use the b7 of a key as a major chord, that explains the c, but then the c# would be diminished....

maybe the c# is a passing tone?
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by tbsff_7

maybe the c# is a passing tone?

that'd be my guess.
TS, could you tell us more about the notes? are they chords? major? minor? etc.

My mind is going. I can feel it.