Yes...another one, lol.

Alright, so since I last posted about advice on an amp, I was set on saving a bit and getting a Mark IV, however, due to recent events, it's going to take me a bit to get that much money now.

I'm looking at an amp to replace my 5150, it has the distortion I want, but not the deffinition and can sound a little muddy at times compared to other amps I've played.

Now the amps I'm currently looking at are:

Mesa F-30/F-50
Mesa DC-5
Mesa Studio .22
Mesa Single Rectifier

Marshall JCM-900 (Run on 6l6s) - would use an OD as well

Laney GHL

B52 AT-212

Now, these are just the amps I've played and liked. I can't really choose between them because for one, I like them all, and secondly, not one place has all of the amps for me to try side by side to really hear the difference, just a few here and there.

My budget is >$1000 USD. I have a Marshall 1960 cab, so the cab isn't included in that price. I play anything from Classic rock to Modern Metal, but Metal is what I need it for. I'd like it to have good cleans on it as well, I like the darker sounding cleans that I could get out of the Mesa F series.

I'm also open to suggestions as well, I just thought I'd put up amps I've actually played, rather than ones I'd like to or most likely can't play.

Thanks for the help!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 4, 2007,
out of all of those the F-50 is a good solid choice, i remember those in the shop and suprised at how many tones they could capture, the laney is another great choice, more middy than the F series but still able to capture the balls of modern metal
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Before you try a new amp, have you tried an OD in front of the 5150 as a "tone tightener" ?
You set the overdrive really low, crank up the level, and adjust the tone to taste. It's mostly for definition, you aren't adding a lot of gain with it. It's a like a clean boost with hair that way, and it can really do wonders for getting a tight sharp lowend. A lof of pros use them that way on high gain heads.
As for amps, I like the ones you're looking at, but I haven't tried the studio cal .22. Another to consider though might be a Mark III w/GEQ. Very simliar to the Mark IV, and some say even more aggressive on the lead channel. Just make sure it has the GEQ.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
Before you try a new amp, have you tried an OD in front of the 5150 as a "tone tightener" ?
You set the overdrive really low, crank up the level, and adjust the tone to taste. It's mostly for definition, you aren't adding a lot of gain with it. It's a like a clean boost with hair that way, and it can really do wonders for getting a tight sharp lowend. A lof of pros use them that way on high gain heads.
As for amps, I like the ones you're looking at, but I haven't tried the studio cal .22. Another to consider though might be a Mark III w/GEQ. Very simliar to the Mark IV, and some say even more aggressive on the lead channel. Just make sure it has the GEQ.

No, I haven't tried an OD in front of it as I don't know anyone who owns a decent one. I guess I could try to call a shop nearby that sells tubescreamers or something and see if I can bring my 5150 in to try one out on it Thank you for the suggestion!

I've looked into Mark IIIs, but I've never played one, and would like to before I buy one, but there's none for sale locally that I've found lately. I'll keep an eye out though.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No, I haven't tried an OD in front of it as I don't know anyone who owns a decent one. I guess I could try to call a shop nearby that sells tubescreamers or something and see if I can bring my 5150 in to try one out on it Thank you for the suggestion!

I've looked into Mark IIIs, but I've never played one, and would like to before I buy one, but there's none for sale locally that I've found lately. I'll keep an eye out though.

yeah, if you can try one with your amp, it's definitely worth a shot. I read an article about Andy Sneap using it for his amps (producer for bands like KSE, Nevermore, Trivium, Arch Enemy, Testament, etc...), so I had to try it. I tried an OD808 with my Cobra and Mark IV, and I loved it. Then I started noticing them more on the pro rigs, and saw it's quite common. Makes sense too since Sneap reamps most of the stuff he gets for albums he produces. Definitely try to play a Mark III too if you can, I would probably take that over the rest of the amps you have listed as a matter of personal preference.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

Great suggestion. I use a ProCo Rat w/ the distortion set to only about the 9 o'clock position, w/ level almost maxed, & adjust w/ tone knob into a Mojave Scorpion amp (not as high-gain as a 5150, but insane for a non-master volume amp)! I've used it on 80's Marshalls as well w/ great results.
The Scorpion is cranked way up through a load box/power amp setup, so I can get a remarkable early VH brown sound using only the touch of boost. Very articulate.
To TS-Have you checked out any used Mark IVs? I see them occasionally in your price range. It's way better to buy used if you're patient. There's some screaming deals out there!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
To TS-Have you checked out any used Mark IVs? I see them occasionally in your price range. It's way better to buy used if you're patient. There's some screaming deals out there!

Yeah, I have seen a few for about $1000 or so around here, but everyone I've sent them an email about it has never replied back. If I find one for a decent price, I'd deffinately jump on it, but it doesn't seem like there's been many for sale recently up on Craigslist and I'm kinda sketchy about buying an amp off ebay as I'd like to play it before I bought it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yeah, I have seen a few for about $1000 or so around here, but everyone I've sent them an email about it has never replied back. If I find one for a decent price, I'd deffinately jump on it, but it doesn't seem like there's been many for sale recently up on Craigslist and I'm kinda sketchy about buying an amp off ebay as I'd like to play it before I bought it.

I bought both my good tube amps on ebay w/ no problems at all. I'll only buy from sellers that have lots of positive feedback, & in the case of these amps, they were actually music stores, one in GA & one in AZ. If you've already played a Mark IV, I wouldn't worry about testing it first if you buy from a reputable seller (they'll tell you if parts are not original in most cases). Also, it seems to me that Mesa products are VERY consistent in quality, so you won't get a Mark IV that doesn't sound good. The main thing is to be patient, & contact sellers w/ questions. If they don't respond, you don't want to do business w/ them anyway, no matter how good a deal may seem.
Good luck!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Thanks for the info, I'll deffinately check into it, the only problem is that I don't have any feedback rating on ebay cause I've never actually bought anything on there. The bass player in my band buys stuff all the time on there though and he's actually sold a few things for me so people will actually bid because I don't have any feedback on my account :P

I put a new set of JJ hi-gains in my 5150 yesterday to see what the difference was between the old tubes and the new ones and i surprised at how much better it sounded, but I still crave something better, maybe the tubescreamer suggestion will get me what I want
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yeah, I would agree with Riffhog, the Mesa's are usually very consistent, and built like tanks. As long you use a reputable seller with good feedback, it's hard to lose. Patience is really key, I got my Mark IV head for $800, it was just a little ugly and needed new tubes desperately. After some TLC, it's a beast.

Also, riffhog, that combination with the Mojave sounds kickass. I've been gassing over one for a while now. I ended up recently purchasing a Suhr Badger to mess with, but I haven't gotten it yet. If it's not my bag, Mojave is next on my list. Probably the Scorpion actually. I would love to hear some clips if you could post or PM them. Thanks man.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
yeah, I would agree with Riffhog, the Mesa's are usually very consistent, and built like tanks. As long you use a reputable seller with good feedback, it's hard to lose. Patience is really key, I got my Mark IV head for $800, it was just a little ugly and needed new tubes desperately. After some TLC, it's a beast.

Also, riffhog, that combination with the Mojave sounds kickass. I've been gassing over one for a while now. I ended up recently purchasing a Suhr Badger to mess with, but I haven't gotten it yet. If it's not my bag, Mojave is next on my list. Probably the Scorpion actually. I would love to hear some clips if you could post or PM them. Thanks man.

I'm pretty lame w/ computers, but I'll see what I can do. The Mojave Amp Works site has clips that are fairly accurate, but you need to run the amp extremely loud to duplicate the the clips w/o using a Rat. I get around the loudness w/ the load box/power amp setup. The power damping feature on Mojaves is great, but you won't get the supreme tone til it's dialed way up. I'm going to try to get out to the Mojave factory in 3 weeks when I trvael to LA for work, so I can try out a Peacemaker.
BTW-I hear the Badgers are serious tone machines. Let us know!!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by Erock503

Yeah, I might just do that and wait for a good deal on the Mark IV, unless I happen to find another F-30 for $425 Guy sold it and didn't tell me, gah.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com