Despite playing bass for some years now, I still suck at adjusting my truss rod. If I'm getting some buzzing noises (on a fretless) around the 2nd-4th frets, which way should I adjust my truss rod?

unrelated:
Also, as long as I'm posting, if I got heavy enough strings, would using a Bass X-Tender between E and B work?
Do you still get the buzz if you play very gently?

If not, it may be a curvature problem as the string may be touching the fretboard further up, causing the buzz.

And I believe you turn the end part of the truss rod (normally accessably via the headstock) to the right to add more curve, left for less, but correct me if I'm wrong.

And only turn 1/4 a rotation at a time at the most, then leave for 24h to settle. Better slow and steady than warping the neck.

And I doubt it would work for 5 semitones difference, because of the different tension which could cause slight intonation and neck curve changes.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
When your bass is buzzing before the 5th fret and nowhere else, the truss rod is too tight and needs to be turned counterclockwise to loosen. As said above, use small increments, but keep in mind that you should feel most of the difference as soon as you're done turning. Press the first and last fret and check the action between frets 6, 7, and 8 and the string. If your bass is good, you'll have no fretbuzz if there's a dime's thickness of space.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmm, I think I ****ed something up, because I turned it a good distance to the left and it's still doing it. Do you think it'll make a really big adjustment by tomorrow?
not to hijack a thread, but I cant seem to find a wrench (metric or otherwise) that will work with my rod and It looks like it might be too stripped to work. My action above the 7th fret is like 3/8 inch, how screwed am I?
Quote by Hergiswi
Hmm, I think I ****ed something up, because I turned it a good distance to the left and it's still doing it. Do you think it'll make a really big adjustment by tomorrow?

It could, yeah. Don't loosen it too much. Is your nut cut properly? Is there a chance it's too low? When did this all start to happen?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
It could, yeah. Don't loosen it too much. Is your nut cut properly? Is there a chance it's too low? When did this all start to happen?

1. Probably not. SX sucks at everything.

2. I guess it might be too low, which brings me to my next point...

3. It started happening when I lowered my strings (on the saddles). It makes tapping a lot easier, but now I'm getting serious buzzing (now between 1st and 3rd frets) on the E, A, and D strings. For some reason, the G and C strings are hardly affected. I'm not sure if the lower strings caused the buzzing to occur or just brought attention to an already messed up truss rod. However, it think it's the latter because the C string is lower than the rest of the strings yet there's extremely little buzz.
Last edited by Hergiswi at Aug 4, 2007,
Hmm. You should check your neck bow, as I said earlier. If the neck bow is fine, maye the frets are unleveled. People only really love the SX basses after they get some work done on them.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Hmm. You should check your neck bow, as I said earlier. If the neck bow is fine, maye the frets are unleveled. People only really love the SX basses after they get some work done on them.

Yeah, except I suck at seeing flaws in the neck. I had my Silvertone's neck almost completely destroyed at one point and I couldn't even see it. Also, it's fretless. =/

I've been working on this thing for months. I think it should be getting to the point where I start to love it soon. At least I hope so.
Hold the bottom strap button at your chin and look straight down the neck. There, you should get a good indication of neck bow, and if you close one eye, you should be able to see if any frets are out too much.

EDIT: Since I randomly decided to ignore the fact that it's fretless, please feel free to ignore my post. But, then again, that buzzing around that area is how Jaco got his MWAH.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
It may be the gloss on the neck messing me up, but it looks straight to me. Also, it's not really a "mwah" buzz, it's more of a rattlesnake having a seizure. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I like the comparison.
Is it a buzz *IN* the fingerboard? i.e. is it the truss rod rattling about? Like a very metallic buzz coming from UNDER the fretboard? Or is it the strings doing the buzz, like fretbuzz?

If it's the truss rod, to the luthier you go. I can't help any further. If it's the strings... well, I've exhausted all of my ideas. For shame.

EDIT: what are the chances your truss rod is totally slack? Maybe it's the nut rattling about. Just an idea.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
Is it a buzz *IN* the fingerboard? i.e. is it the truss rod rattling about? Like a very metallic buzz coming from UNDER the fretboard? Or is it the strings doing the buzz, like fretbuzz?

If it's the truss rod, to the luthier you go. I can't help any further. If it's the strings... well, I've exhausted all of my ideas. For shame.

EDIT: what are the chances your truss rod is totally slack? Maybe it's the nut rattling about. Just an idea.

In all honesty, it could be any of these suggestions. SX makes **** basses and I've seriously never seen a bass have so many problems before. It sounds like the strings are making the buzz, so I'm not sure what to do. I just tried sliding while holding the nut (oh God) and it still does it. My lead guitarist's dad happens to be some bass expert, so maybe he can help me out. If not, I live close to a music store.

Thanks for all the help. I'll see if there's any improvement tomorrow. =P
Not a problem. But, like I said before, this whole thing may be a lesson to you; some things are worth really really saving for, ya know?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yeah, I'm aware. The SX was out of desperation, since there wasn't any other way I could afford another 5-string fretless at the time. There probably still isn't, but now I've already fixed up most of the aspects of the bass so I don't really care.

I don't even know if that last sentence made sense. I'm going to bed.