Well, im trying to wire some LEDs into the pickgaurd on my strat but, i also want them to light up in relation to how loud i am playing. So, say if i plucked a string hard the light would go bright and then as the note deteriorates, so does the LED brightness. i guess what i need is a signal indicator but im not sure... please help!
I don't think LED's can change brightness... how about have like an equalizer with LEDs on your pickguard where the more lights means more volume?
Well you would need, basically, a pickup attached to a device that will translate the electric signal into a direct current that can be used by the LEDs for power. Basically, the movement of the string powers the LEDs, more vibration = more power = brighter lights maybe? Sounds like you are looking at some kind of transformer of signals. What kind I'm not sure... talk to an electronics expert.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by dmb589
I don't think LED's can change brightness... how about have like an equalizer with LEDs on your pickguard where the more lights means more volume?

LED's can change brightness, very easily. From what it sounds like you need some kind of weird resistor that lets a dc current to the led/s through less when theres less sound and more when theres more current. Kind of like a photosensitive resistor, but controlled by sound instead of light..
YES! THATS IT! A resistor! Thanks you for saying that, its been bugging the hell out of me for like 20 minutes. You need a resistor that changes the amount of power to the LEDs in response to the strength of the electrical signal coming from your pickups! THATS THE ONE! Thanks you dark merlin.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Hi!
This is one way to do it for two LED's. Use an OP like TL022 for minimum current draw.
Power it with a 9V-battery.
The actuall current consumer is actually going to be the LED's.
For brighter result lower the resistance...
oskar
Attachments:
LED driver.png
how you could do it is like on certain mobiles, what they do it, the sound generated by the little mic, is transformed into how much power is going into the leds. this is like a... Sound detection idea.. what could be done is a tiny mic ( or branch off the hot wire of your pickups) and then wire to some sort of transformer ( sound into electric current ) this then would feed into a led. ( powered by a 9v battery with resistors on the leds)

Other then that, id say just use a ... knob to control the amount of light.. like a potentiometer ( but with electric and not sound ) or some sort of adjustable resistor...

like to know what u do in the end and how it turns out
My Gear
  • Ibanez RG 350 DX ( White )
    Seymour Duncan - Jb Model (Old)
    DiMarzio YJM DP217
    DiMarzio Evolution

• Laney Linebacker L50
  • Ibanez ThrashMetal
  • V-amp Effect Board
  • Roland MicroCube