<story>
i never really stop looking for amps i would like to get, especially a mid-range tube combo. something not some piece of crap, but good quality without the REALLY high pricetag. the features and advertised kind of sound of the BCbout exactly what i'm looking for. i have yet to hear it in person because there is no stores nearby for guitar gear, and sound clips are just about nonexistent. sound-wise i am after something that can pull off SRV, Tool, Van Halen (older), Cake, Pink Floyd, and Fugazi. not something that will dupicate the sound, but something that can get the right dirty clean and overdrive. things like Tool and Van halen do not need to be exact but enough saturation that it sounds good enough for it. a mostly classic rock but more modern sound (think the UK 80's channel on my vox). so my questions are...

has anybody heard it?

is it good for what i want?

is it good build quality?

is there another amp I could look into that is better? (preferably not used)

and any other advice, or any at all, would be awesome

thanks!
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
im thinking a good amp would be a B-52 AT-112 60w. pretty versatile, but its about $550. You should also get an overdrive pedal. something like a Boss overdrive would help get that Tool and Van Halen sound. Maybe even Fugazi.
that might fit what im looking for but i've heard problems with the 112 version randomly breaking down badly. similar way with the mg but flat out dead.
any other options, or info, or opinions?
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
With any entry level amp from any company, you'll get the risk of breaking down. They have those problems with hot rods, B-52 AT's, Valvekings, DSL401's, anything really.

My Traynor YCV 40 can do tool pretty well. Great cleans, great for classic rock. However, the blues custom 30 sounds like it's fit what you need, except for the tool and van halen.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
well i have an od pedal i dont mind the sound of; and even though the distortion from it isnt quite 'tool' or 'van halen' i can usually crank and eq the vj to get it to really scream.
i like the idea of the tube rectifier for that vintagey sag, but it isnt a requisite. i'll already be looking into a ycv when i have enough money.
is there a big tonal difference between the ycv 20 and ycv 40? i've liked the idea of less wattage ever since i got my valve junior.
i've also been thinking about an Orange Tiny Terror and an avatar 212, but that is about 900 dollars, which is really pushing what budget i would have.
even more than the orange tt i thought about a THD Univalve. 15 watts, great tone, and about any tube variation you could think of.
any experience/opinions on those?
and is the AT112 really more reliable than I think? i dont want to get an amp with a yearlong warranty and have it bomb out after 13 months.
thanks for the replies thus far.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I've played the Blues Custom 30 once, while mucking around with an Epiphone double-neck. The clean channel didn't seem anything special, but the creamy light overdrive was great, as you'd expect from an amp advertised as a "blues" amp. I noticed also that the class the power amp operated in was switchable from A/B to A, which would give you a bunch of other tonal possibilities to keep up your sleeve.
Quote by Dirge Humani
Quote by Grundy0
Do you have any idea what your talking about? Because i can't understand half of what your saying and i think you are possibly clinically insane
Welcome to The Pit.

^
Ive had my b-52 amp for a few months now and no problems. Well I got it off musiciansfriend and the first one came damaged (MF's fault, not b-52) But I called them up and got the new one in like a week so it was fine. The actual quality seems good and i belive they fixed most of the problems that people were finding with the newer amps. They would do the styles you like, maybe the blues custom would do the srv better, but the b-52 could do any thing requiring more gain better (tool, van halen, etc). One of my brothers friends who is a tool freak actually commented me on my tone while playing a tool song :P. There might be better options than the b-52 for your styles though. I mean it does have good cleans and great distortion, but theres amps with say better cleans and good distortion, just not so much metal "out of the box" gain as the b-52 has.
I've got an Epi Blues Custom, and I've spent the last month flogging the **** out of it to find out where it excels and where it lets down.

The overdrive on it is excellently suited to blues, and the ability to switch between class A and class A/B is really good.

The cleans are decent, the reverb is nice, and the ability to bypass the amps EQ can be useful sometimes. With it engaged, you get a fuller, louder sound, but with it off, it gives a pretty raw sound straight from the guitar.

Try it out, and see if it suits the kind of stuff you want to play. For SRV, it's great, the others, I dunno.
well, the traynor ycv20 runs on el84's and the 40 runs on 6l6's. Normally, I believe that the circuit plays more of a role in determining the voicing of the amp, and EL's don't necessarily mean british voicing, and 6L6's don't necessarily mean an American voicing.

However, in this case, the circuit is basically the same, save for the different pin config for the 84's.

I'd get the 40, or the 50 (EL34's), if you want crunchier stuff actually. It's worth saving up, it's really well made, and high quality.

The best part is that is does auto bias, (not fixed bias) and has great DC heaters. Sometimes, I forget I'm even plugged in, because it has no hum or buzzing (except for things like an OD or a compressor, obviously) It has a metal grille underneath the cloth one, to protect the speaker, and it's made of sturdy wood too. Traynor's warranty is great, they'll fix it even if you get drunk and smash it within 2 years.

My only gripes are that the reverb is pretty weird, I mean, it's in the background at 9, and at 10, it's full on, mega eerie sounding. Also, the boost is pretty over the top, big difference than when it's off. Lastly, I don't really like the stock speaker, I'd prefer a jensen. It sound like it's too flabby for high volumes, and can't handle the bass from the amp. However, they do sell a version with a v30, the YCV40WR.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

The Univalve's a superior amp. Extremely cool. I like the Tiny Terror, too. Thing is, are these 15W-type amps going to be enough for you?

Traynor >>>> Epiphone

You'll be able to do a lot more with the Traynor, and it'll sound better doing it.

Why the reluctance to go used? You really do get so much more amp for your money that way.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
in reply to slatsmania: i think 15w tube is good. i like the fact that it isnt too loud, but more than adequate for any jam, no matter how loud the drummer, and in the case that i ever have a big enough gig, i will surely mic it.

and the reluctance to go used is because going new gives me the opportunity to more disect each piece of gear rather than guess. and when the time comes when i do have the right amount of cash to buy a new amp, i will be watching ebay for a few days and then check bach here before i buy anything, new or used. 'buying new' just gives me the opportunity to really ask around and get more of an idea what to get.

so as it stands..

the BC30 has surprisingly bleh cleans, excellent light overdrive, and not too much gain at all, but can still get lots of good sounds out of the light overdrive, toggle eq and switchable amp class.
what i dont know about this amp is.. when you say 'light distortion' does that mean that the cleans sound kind of meh, but if you raise the gain ever-so-slightly for a little bit more edge (like a dirty-clean) it sounds fantastic? or does it mean that you should really crank it, but because it doesnt have as much out-of-the-box gain you would call it Light rather than heavy? just trying to get an idea of the feel of the amp.

i think between the three amps (blues custom 30, b52 at-112, and traynor ycv 20/40) the blues custom is kind of ixnayed because of such a narrow range of gain (correct me if i'm wrong) for now.

the at112 gives me the impression of having a very modern overdrive, making it great and decent for tool and van halen, but the cleans, dirty cleans, and light overdrive (think Cake) make it harder to pull off other things fantastically. does backing the gain off on this thing give you more of a 'vintagey' lower gain voice, or just lower gain modern?

the traynor ycv's, sound very close to what i want. great cleans, great overdrive, but not too gainy. that sounds good for my needs. i like the sound of a heavily overdriven low gain amp more than a high gain amp anyways. only thing bothering me... i have heard that while the gain sounds great on a ycv, the bass tends to muddy up and get boomy also. is this true, or just some freak review from someone that can't eq? and is the weird reverb behavior normal also?

as far as the traynors i am looking between the YCV 20WR ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-20WR-YCV20WR-15W-Class-A-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=480980 )
or the YCV 40WR ( http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-Custom-Valve-40WR-YCV40WR-40W-All-Tube-1x12-Combo-Amp-with-Celestion-Speaker?sku=489074 )

the biggest question between the two (since the price difference is negligible) is if it would be better to get the 15 watt one and be able to crank it more often (i dont jam a whole lot lately, and never gig to date, but that doesnt mean i dont like cranking it)
or get the 40 watt one, have a better speaker, im assuming better tubes, and i hear good things about 5881's having a nice unique tone. i guess it comes down to.. is this amp 'one of those amps' that require you to really be able to kind of turn it up or does it not lose that tone at low levels (the volume of an overdriven VJ at about 2/3)

thank you guys for all the knowledgeable help
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
Get the 40. they're all based on the sovtek tubes, which sound pretty bleh, IMO, I retubed with some svetlanas in the power section, everythings peachy. The boost muddies it up a bit at high volumes, but I just back off the bass, and a bit off of my volume knob. It's pretty simple.

It sounds decent at 1, moderately loud, with full preamp saturation. However, at maybe 4-5, it really starts sounding beautiful. It gets pretty damn gainy at high volumes too.

The at can do lower gain pretty well too, it's not really a one trick pony for high gain.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Harmony Central has some great reviews on this amp. I couldn't find any on this site (sorry Mr. Moderator) I've had my Epi Blues Custom for about 5 months now and I love it.