Basically, my band plays a lot of Rage Against the Machine covers, and I myself am a huge fan of Tom Morello and it'd be cool just to have a Morello-ish guitar to have and play.

Now, in the next few weeks I'll be buying an Ibanez or Jackson (basically any superstrat type guitar) with a Floyd, and two humbuckers to play Rage songs on (I'm looking to spend around $700 max). I'm going to be replacing the pickups to EMG 81 and 85's (I believe they're the same that Morello uses in one of his guitars). Also, I will be moving the toggle switch from its place, and move it up to the top cutaway (where it would be on a Les Paul) just because I learned the killswitch technique on a Les Paul so I'm not about to change it up now.

Now, what I'd like from you guys is:

-What guitar do you think would be best to buy?

-Is there a better pickup choice for a RATM sound?

-How much would it cost to move the toggle switch?

-How much would this whole project cost in general?

I'd just like to know how much I should save up for this, and what I'm getting myself into. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty difficult, but I'm willing to take some time on this to do it right.

Anyone with any experience in doing anything like this, please help, I need some input here.
use a LP with EMG's like Zack Wylde - and depending on your amp you will nail RATM

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
use a LP with EMG's like Zack Wylde - and depending on your amp you will nail RATM

I would, but I already have a Les Paul and the only thing I can't stand about it is that LP's have crap access to higher frets when you're standing (unless you have your strap up to your chin). Whereas on a superstrat style guitar, you can easily reach every single fret.

Also, I want this to look like a Morello-ish guitar, and he mainly plays strat or superstrat style guitars.

And, I want a guitar with a Floyd, and Les Pauls with Floyds look like crap.
why not just install a killswitch instead of moving the toggle switch?
I would much rather half a Tele and some nice single coils for playing Morello stuff. Or, a strat with nice single coils
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by CORT noob
I would much rather half a Tele and some nice single coils for playing Morello stuff. Or, a strat with nice single coils

I actually had never thought of that, but now that you mention it I'm going to consider it because that would be freakin' cool. What pickups should I use?

Also, to whoever said to install the killswitch, I guess I could just do that, but then I'd have two switches, in two places, doing the exact same thing (wouldn't I?).

Also something I forgot, for this project I think I'd have to put in a volume knob, because most superstrats come with only one volume knob. I need two to do the killswitch effect (turn one pickup to 10, the other to 0). How much would this cost?
Last edited by pandashaving at Aug 4, 2007,
Quote by pandashaving
I actually had never thought of that, but now that you mention it I'm going to consider it because that would be freakin' cool. What pickups should I use?

Also, to whoever said to install the killswitch, I guess I could just do that, but then I'd have two switches, in two places, doing the exact same thing (wouldn't I?).

Also something I forgot, for this project I think I'd have to put in a volume knob, because most superstrats come with only one volume knob. I need two to do the killswitch effect (turn one pickup to 10, the other to 0). How much would this cost?

As for the single coils, I've got Fender Vintage Noisless in my strat, and they do the job surprisingly. In his tele, he has stock pickups.

And, for the Volume knobs and what not, it would be cheaper and easier to install a killswitch than a volume knob.

The price depends on what you do and already don't own. A soldering iron is $10 if you don't already have one. About $1 for solder. A couple bucks for wire.

Now, switch if you choose that route is about a dollar. Pot if you choose thar route, about $5.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
You could get an aerodyne strat just like his soulpower guitar. Then you could mod it to be like his, mirror pickguard, kill switch, hot rails (i think) etc. Then you would have your les paul for the songs he uses humbuckers in and the aerodyne for the one he uses that in...
Quote by CORT noob
As for the single coils, I've got Fender Vintage Noisless in my strat, and they do the job surprisingly. In his tele, he has stock pickups.

And, for the Volume knobs and what not, it would be cheaper and easier to install a killswitch than a volume knob.

The price depends on what you do and already don't own. A soldering iron is $10 if you don't already have one. About $1 for solder. A couple bucks for wire.

Now, switch if you choose that route is about a dollar. Pot if you choose thar route, about $5.

I've been reading on Morello's pickups in his Soulpower guitar and he has a Seymour Duncan Hotrail in the bridge and Fender Noiseless in the neck & bridge (I believe). Now, I could put these in a strat, but say I were to put a Seymour Duncan Tele Hotrail and Fender Vintage Noiseless Tele pickups and put them into a Tele...would I get about the right sound would you think?

I already have a soldering iron and whatnot, but I'm curious by what you mean to install the killswitch. I can just install a killswitch that will do the effect in a guitar with one volume knob? So I wouldn't have to have one volume knob at 0 and the other at 10, just one knob (the only knob) at 10 and the switch does the rest?
Refer to the Ultimate Killswitch Thread. There's a diagram with a master volume.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by porter_668
You could get an aerodyne strat just like his soulpower guitar. Then you could mod it to be like his, mirror pickguard, kill switch, hot rails (i think) etc. Then you would have your les paul for the songs he uses humbuckers in and the aerodyne for the one he uses that in...

I had considered that also. If I do this on a Strat, that will be the Strat I'd do it on.
Quote by Will_Minus
Refer to the Ultimate Killswitch Thread. There's a diagram with a master volume.

Thanks! That actually answered the rest of my questions, I think.