Just like to say hello to all. This is my 2nd post on this forum which was referred to me of someone on yahoo answers.

My question is about barre chords. I am trying to understand them but the pdf book I am learning from has kind of confused me at this stage. I have attached the image of the page I am on and an image of the diagram that goes with it.

It basically says we are going to make a barre form out of c major and says we are going to shift the whole dealio up 2 frets making it into a d major.

What I want to know is if the pdf is wrong for not telling me I have to move up strings aswell because it only states move up 2 frets. I basically moved up 2 frets and used my other fingers to make a similar shape to the c major and used my index finger as the nut. In the diagram it shows that I have to move up strings aswell and this is where I'm confused.

I would be greatful if anyone could give me some tips to make me understand this better. I have tried looking in my alfred guitar books but they are no help what so ever and have hardly any guitar theory in them. I'd rather understand how to play the guitar fully than just know how to play specific songs.

Thanks in advance
the root of the C major barre chord is the 3rd fret of the A (or 5th) string. it's a "C". by shifting the entire pattern up two frets (not strings), the root goes up from C to C# to D. here's a tab example:

-3-            -5-
-5-            -7-
-5-            -7-
-5-            -7-
-3- <-- C      -5- <-- D
-x-            -x-

edit: as long as you keep that pattern, you can move it anywhere you can up and down the neck of the guitar. wherever your finger lands on the A string is the name of the chord. thus C major and D major, as above. move it up to the 7th fret and it's now E Major, as in below:

-7-
-9-
-9-
-9-
-7- <-- E
-x-
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
Last edited by DougC84 at Aug 5, 2007,
that's not a barre chord. what that's saying is to...

go from this:  to this:
-------------0-----------2-
-------------1-----------3-
-------------0-----------2-
-------------2-----------4-
-------------3-----------5-
----------------------------

you definitely aren't changing strings. you're playing the same strings.
gear?

Quote by quinny1089
it is a barre chord, you are barring the 2nd fret with your index finger.

okay, true. i'll give you that. i'm thinking more traditional forms, and forgot about the fact that there is a barre in that chord all along. my bad.
gear?

yeah, what they were talking about was the C "shape." its from the CAGED system. it takes the shape of the different open chords, and moves them up the neck. it's really useful.

My mind is going. I can feel it.