I'm a singer and guitarist, and I find that if I focus hard about what I'm about to play on the guitar or the lyrics I'm about to sing when I'm singing and playing, I usually mess myself up. So I usually think about when I practice or the artist that made the song I'm singing, and I let the playing and singing kind of come more natural. I was just wondering what you guys think about when playing or singing.

Peace.
I don't think about anything, I just do what feels musically "right". Once I've been playing more than 20 minutes straight, I get lost in it and usually end up playing for hours without realizing it, or until I break a string. Just let yourself feel it and vibe with the music... I know this is corny, but just be one with your guitar and the music.
I'm usually thinking about the rhythm, tapping my foot and concentrating on the timing and how I'm going to play the next chord. When soloing, I really concentrate on where the key is going, moving up a down the neck in patterns and intervals in whatever scale I am in, and also thinking about the rhythm.
Quote by Colby81
I'm a singer and guitarist, and I find that if I focus hard about what I'm about to play on the guitar or the lyrics I'm about to sing when I'm singing and playing, I usually mess myself up. So I usually think about when I practice or the artist that made the song I'm singing, and I let the playing and singing kind of come more natural. I was just wondering what you guys think about when playing or singing.

Peace.

Think about what you truly believe and stand for. Not the technical aspects. Because your song is your heart.
By the way Peace, and love, and oh yeah happiness.
i dont think. my fingers just end up sorta doing their own thing. this is why i like to improvise rather than play composed solos most of the time.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

i think if i mess up this will be embarrising, so i just think of the rytham
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
food in one corner of my mind, girls in another corner and the song I'm playing and what its about in the other corner.
Food

Depends. Sometimes I'll be thinking about the notes, and sometimes I'll think about timing, but there are times when I'm just staring at something and playing.
When I play guitar, I really dont think much. I just play because I will be quite familiar with what Im doing.

When I sing in choir or something, this is where I get intense. I picture all the lyrics I am singing and imagine they are happening to me or that I can picture exactly whats happening. Singing is such a mind thing, and when you picture what you are actually singing, you sing as if you are the writer.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
How I want to resolve whatever i'm playing usually
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
For me, it's kind of like when your driving and you space out for like 10 miles. You were driving, but you didn't really think about anything.
Mostly Timing... But while im singing i think more about the playing so i dont funk up and sound poopy
i just kinda play i dont really think unless i mess up then i think about what i messed up on and how to not mess up the next time
Gear:
Epiphone Les paul
silvertone smartt III

gear after:
Dean ML79 w/Floyd Electric Guitar
Transparent Braziliaburst

Member #21 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
As if i wouldn't think about food

To me, it doesn't matter what your thinking about, as long as one part of your mind is about music and thinking about what note your going to play next and feeling the same thing as the song.

The question, it seems, was what I generally think about. Food and girls, what else?
I stop paying attention entirely when I'm playing. I tap my foot to keep myself in time because it's subconcious. Otherwise I think about whatever happens to be on my mind, which is usually a lot of things.
i just doze off and think about unrelated stuff........

oh, i suck btw.

My mind is going. I can feel it.
i usually think about what kinda sandwich im gunna make when im done or what stage move to do next.

but i concentrate at the same time......its weird.

mm peanut butter
Jimi lives in my guitar
I pay attention to the crowd, to my breathing, and I pray a lot while playing.

I pray a lot in my head all day actually.
Quote by civildp1
It's not rocket surgery.
Quote by Kensai
That was so hot my penis exploded.
Quote by killthekingx
I **ing hate Opeth. They make every other band I know look bad.

Quote by beckyjc
some cockwanks just wan to throw 5 stars at her because she has a vag
Happy Things
Ice Cream
Boys
Rainbows
Whatever Really
IM BIG IN JAPAN♥
depends, thoughts come and go for me usually while i play. i find guitar to be an excellent form of meditation. my mind stays mostly empty until i need to think of something such as "what resolution do i want this to have" or "how do i want the next part to sound" such thoughts last less than a second though generally.
every thing but what im playing actually, once i get locked into a key/rhythm whatever, i find my self thinking about things that have happened to me recently, girlfriends etc.. its really similar to the way you recount events in dreams.
Quote by HanETH
Happy Things
Ice Cream
Boys

Rainbows
Whatever Really

Guess I'm not the only one to think about things like that.

I perfored today. All I thought was Oh Sh*t and pease don't stuff up. 2 minutes of privately cursing and swearing.
Oh well, performing is different than playing by myself.
I always try to keep my attention on what i'm playing. if I let my mind wander, I don't play as well, usually
If I'm playing jazz, my mind's usually glued to the chart so i nail the changes, a fast metal run, making sure my picking's as clean as possible, and if not one of those than I'm trying to make my vibrato sound nice.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
lol, i can imagine a lot of random notes all over the fretboard, sounding like ****.. but it was done with emotion
When I notice I'm thinking, I go for bringing my attention outward and listening to what my friends are playing & singing; always aspiring to be in the moment, but it's an ongoing process as we tend to have busy minds :-}
What is a scale? How to work out scales.. What chords to use.. What are modes & where to find them.. ALL CAN BE FOUND AT www.robinmay.co.uk

PLUS - free backing tracks!!
Quote by demonofthenight
Guess I'm not the only one to think about things like that.

I perfored today. All I thought was Oh Sh*t and pease don't stuff up. 2 minutes of privately cursing and swearing.
Oh well, performing is different than playing by myself.

Yeah,Swearing can help :p

But I do Tend To Think Of What Im Gonna Have For Tea
IM BIG IN JAPAN♥