my bet is probably 5-6k of that price is just because theyre only making 250 of them... i wouldnt recommend buying one. instead you could buy a sweet guitar, amp, and a nice acoustic as well... or just a lot of gear.
I guess because it limited and probably costly to make. Also most guitars like that are for collecters and they don't actually play them I think. I wouldn't buy it, thats for sure
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
It's a lot of money for a very nice guitar - i'm not sure you'd want to play it too much - that is a collectors item of the future, they know it, which is why they can charge a nice premium.
I'd say no. It's like buying a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda. Nice car, blast to drive, but every mile is like $1000 of depreciation. A trip to Mickey D's and you're out $20,000. It's simply not justifiable, in my opinion, to buy something worth oodles of money when you can't play it and enjoy it. An upper tier guitar ($2000+) that just sits around is a sin.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
Quote by AngusX
I'd say no. It's like buying a 1970 Hemi 'Cuda. Nice car, blast to drive, but every mile is like $1000 of depreciation. A trip to Mickey D's and you're out $20,000. It's simply not justifiable, in my opinion, to buy something worth oodles of money when you can't play it and enjoy it. An upper tier guitar ($2000+) that just sits around is a sin.

Ummm, that's the exact opposite actually... it's a long term investment - you aren't going to lose money on a custom shop fender, as long as it's in original condition. How many people who bought a '62 strat would have thought they demand the sort of money that they go for now.
Yeah, but every time you play the guitar you risk depreciating its value. A few "whoops" moments and you lost 10% of the guitar's value. I don't want to buy a guitar as an investment, I wanna buy a guitar to play. There are other purchases you can make that appreciate value at much higher rates. Heck, buy 20 acres and wait five years, you'll get 2-10 times more money than you spent for it, that's even if you are in an area with little growth.

Personally, I think that production limited edition guitars are a bit of a joke.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
You've missed the point completely - they aren't aimed at your or I - they are aimed at people that want to invest in a piece of musical history of the future.

Played vintage strats are still worth a lot of money anyway some might even argue that the wear gives them character - in fact a lot of the vintage strats that go for big money now are pretty much unplayable because the fret wear is so bad - and if you change it, it's not original any more - now that's how you lose money on one. These custom shop jobs may never reach the heights of the '62 strats but in the medium to long term they look a pretty good investment.
I understand who the guitars are aimed at. That's why I'm saying they aren't worth it, not for an actual instrument. Sure, they work as an investment if you don't have tons of money. However, I don't think they will have the same status as a '62 Strat. Older guitars are so valuable for so many reasons. Such as so few survived (in their original form) they are extremely rare, especially in moderate to good condition. Combine that with the fact that they contributed so much to the music of the time.

I don't feel that twenty years from now a collector will be greatly interested in an instrument that was never truly intended for playing, especially considering there will be 200 of the 250 made in mint condition.

I think the whole idea of making a guitar more or less to collect is as fake as it comes, and I think that the value of these guitars 30-40 years down the line will reflect that.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
As has been stated, a limited run guitar like that is aimed at collectors and so if you want a player, is not worth it.

It is impossible to say whether something is worth the money or not, as this is different for every person. To the college student, a custom shop Fender will not be worth it and he would opt for a MIM/MIA. Whereas a successful businessman who plays guitar in his time off may not see so much in the difference between price but will see the difference in quality.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
dont forget that this is a masterbuilt guitar too. which is pretty swell.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Yeah, and the white gold leaf finish is great. I guarantee you'd make money on it long term, it's just a matter of time.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
It depends on how you define "worth it" I guess. Those things aren't meant to be values, they're built for collectors who will see something fairly unique and stash then away hoping they'll gain value because of their pedigree. If you're not a collector then look but don't touch. I think the finish looks awesome FWIW. I wonder how many legitimate players buy something like that...
Last edited by Comfortablylomb at Aug 5, 2007,
Rich collector: Buy it.
Poor collector: Buy something else.
Rich, dont-care-about-price player: Buy it.
Casual, want-to-have-a-good-time-playing-guitar player: Buy a cheaper guitar ($2000, for example), an amp, and other gear/an acoustic.

Basically if you're not big on collecting it's not for you. It's a joke when they make so few just to make them costly. Ridiculous.
Fender is starting to turn into Gibson.

If I were a tool, I still wouldn't buy it. But thats usually who the people are when it comes to buying someone elses guitars. How lame
Last edited by WildChild5150 at Aug 6, 2007,
Fender is starting to turn into Gibson.

If I were a tool, I still wouldn't buy it. But thats usually who the people are when it comes to buying someone elses guitars. How lame
Just so you know, the MSRP isn't the actual price. The price you would expect to actually pay for that guitar had it been a standard retail item is closer to $6000.