I know this topic has been beaten to death several times over but, unfortunately, I don't learn very well through reading and I havent found any source that explains modes in a manner that I can understand. I'm hoping that I can try to explain my understanding of modes and you guys can tell me that I'm on the right track or that I'm a dumbass. I know my scales pretty well and I understand intervals and scale formulas. As I understand it, a mode is just an alteration (either sharp or flat) to certaing intervals to give the overall scale a different sound or feel. Correct? For example, G Ionian (the G Major scale) is G, A, B, C, D, E, F#, G so G Dorian would be G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F, G, no? I am also wondering if modes can only be applied to the Major scale or not. Thanks for bearing with my ignorance.
#48 of the Fender Armada
#2 Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Last edited by Sunshine86 at Aug 5, 2007,
the way i understand modes is

there's the major scale with 7 notes
and then there's a mode for every one of those notes

and they fit well over the chords of the key

which would be

1 major
2 minor
3 minor
4 major
5 7th
6 minor
7 m7b5 or half diminished

that's my idea anyway

correct if wrong plz.
Modes can be applied to any scale, although only major and sometimes the hamonic minor and melodic minor are ever used. PM me if you want the modes for some other scales, or ask on the thread and I'll post them on the thread.

To my knowledge your correct. Except that the E of the G dorian mode is an E flat .
Although I wouldn't play G ionian and G dorian in the same progression, it might get a little muddy.

Normally I would play (stress on I, you can do what you want), G ionian, A dorian, B Phrygian, C lydian, D mixolydian, E minor and F# Locrian.

And yes, jamie, your correct too.
Quote by demonofthenight
Modes can be applied to any scale, although only major and sometimes the hamonic minor and melodic minor are ever used. PM me if you want the modes for some other scales, or ask on the thread and I'll post them on the thread.

I'm sorry if i'm hijacking the thread, but that would be cool, i only know the modes of the major scale, and knowing them for the harmonic minor and melodic minor would be quite usefull (sp?)
For a real pervert, any exit can be an entrance.
Quote by sTx
Awesome post, dude.

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Goth
Peavey Valveking 112
My metal band, Nilfgaard
I think of it the same way Jamie does. I find it easier to know the major and minor scales and just play it with the different root note etc. I realize that it would be better to look at em as each being separate scales and learn em that way, but it seems easier to just play a major scale in a different way even though it makes progressions harder to think about
Quote by Worhan
I'm sorry if i'm hijacking the thread, but that would be cool, i only know the modes of the major scale, and knowing them for the harmonic minor and melodic minor would be quite usefull (sp?)

TS and this fellow: Read the Sticky. There is a bit on modes, modes of the harmonic and melodic minor scales, and mode application. Post back if you have any questions