Hey guys!

I have a TBC AP-500M, which has a single passive humbucker..

Well, its a 3-band active EQ stock, but the person i bought it off made it passive, but thats beside the point

I'm trying to play amazing grace by victor wooten, and he starts playing this..

------[5]------------------------
------[5]-----------------------
-------3-------------------------

the 5's in brackets being harmonics.

My problem is that i can only really hear the 3, and not the harmonic 5's, even with treble cranked and bass right down on my amp (fender rumble 15 watt).

Is it just my crappy playing, or is there something i'm not knowing about humbuckers, that they pick up lower notes better or something?

thanks!

-benco
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"
What the **** are lady lumps? What does she have, breast cancer?

Bacchus basses FTW!
www.japanvintageguitars.com
Try plucking the strings a bit harder to make the harmonic sound louder. Other than that, it could be how you play it. Try playing the harmonics alone and see if it sounds right.
i'm just plucking with 3 fingers, each finger to a string, index on A, middle on D, ring on G..and its kinda hard to pluck hard with two fingers and soft with one..:P
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Try playing the harmonics alone. Then, once you can play them cleanly, just don't play the fretted note so hard.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
wootan also uses active pickups+active EQ and it is easyer with this setup.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
ah...that would possibly be why..i hear him play it and its clear as day.. oh well, guess i'll have to keep practicing..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
I don't know your level of skill, but when you play, you're suppost to play right by the fret, not anywhere in the fret 'box'. When playing a harmonic, you have to play right on the 5th FRET. Play by the bridge, and play hard, with a fair heap of mids. To me, it sounds like you're not quite hitting the harmonic on the fret.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Wy do u got a ebay picture?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06
Wy do u got a ebay picture?

Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
To show the bass...i dont know, maybe where the pickup was had something to do with it..

and i know how to play harmonics..it just seems that the 3 comes out alot stronger than the harmonics do..
Quote by charvel_man
"My lovely lady lumps"

Bacchus basses FTW!
Quote by benco
To show the bass...i dont know, maybe where the pickup was had something to do with it..

and i know how to play harmonics..it just seems that the 3 comes out alot stronger than the harmonics do..

Harmonics don't ring with consistant volume. Harmonics at the 5th fret are some of the quietest harmonics you can play. Boost those low mids, and compression will help.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by thefitz
I don't know your level of skill, but when you play, you're suppost to play right by the fret, not anywhere in the fret 'box'. When playing a harmonic, you have to play right on the 5th FRET. Play by the bridge, and play hard, with a fair heap of mids. To me, it sounds like you're not quite hitting the harmonic on the fret.

the fret wire... :stickpoke

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
Quote by thefitz
Boost those low mids, and compression will help.

+1 QFT.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.