My low E is extremly bassy. When i play this

D|-2-|
A|-2-|
E|-0-|

I can't hear the 2's. They get drowned out by the bassyness of the string.

I think its something to do with intonation... am I right? If not what could be causing the problem?
is it tuned properly?
also make sure you strike the strings with equal force when strumming.
dont just hit the low E string and follow through.

also.. how do you finger it?

i did it with my ring finger and pinkie until my guitar teacher told to to play it with a barre with my index finger over the A and D strings.
Have you set up your amp EQ properly? Its nothing to do with intonation.
Also are you playing it correctly? It sounds like your fingers can't provide enough force and end up muting the strings
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
If you find it's only with an amp, but playing unplugged your low E doesn't seem any louder than the other strings, then it's what I've had too; I've had a similar problem with many guitars in the past, and one of mine right now still has it. Will be fixing it when I next bother to change it's strings.

Basically, to put it in very simple terms, your low E string is vibrating too much, too close to the pickups. Common fixes for this can include mucking around with the intonation/increasing the action, changing string gauge, plus a few other rare tricks that probably aren't needed. I've found most of the time in the past it's been a case of mucking around with the bridge in various ways that's fixed the problem.
Sounds like rubbish EQ'ing to me....loads of bass, no mids and not enough treble in the misguided belief that it'll make things sound "heavy".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bokuho
If you find it's only with an amp, but playing unplugged your low E doesn't seem any louder than the other strings, then it's what I've had too; I've had a similar problem with many guitars in the past, and one of mine right now still has it. Will be fixing it when I next bother to change it's strings.

Basically, to put it in very simple terms, your low E string is vibrating too much, too close to the pickups. Common fixes for this can include mucking around with the intonation/increasing the action, changing string gauge, plus a few other rare tricks that probably aren't needed. I've found most of the time in the past it's been a case of mucking around with the bridge in various ways that's fixed the problem.

Yeah, it vibrates too much. I'll have a look see what the crack is. Cheers for now
Quote by bokuho

There's no such thing as a string vibrating "too much", the low E always vibrates the most out of all the strings becasue it's the thickest. However it can throw the tone off if it's too close to the pickups, in which case the solution is to lower the pickup on the bass side. It's certainly nothing to do with the intonation, all that affects is the relative runing of the string as you go up the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bokuho
your low E string is vibrating too much, too close to the pickups

Um no. A string doesn't "vibrate too much". If it did, it would buzz like hell against your frets.

Sort out your EQ, make sure your strumming techique is right and maybe but MAYBE lower your pickups. And if you're using an MG series Marshall amp well....god help you.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.