matt bickerton
wants a better username
3,160 IQ
Can anyone recommend me some great slide guitar blues songs

I just think they sound absolutely awesome.

that is all
s/ash
Slash's clone
414 IQ
traveling riverside blues
!PRS Custom 24 ten top!
Ric 4001!!
Fender Cyclone 2
2x Harmony Acoustics
Goya 107 Range Master

Quote by x8blitzkid8x
people ruin metal like a7x.
noah22791
1,076 IQ
Rollin' and Tumblin (famous by eric clapton and cream. also on his unplugged album)

if you like zep: In my Time of Dying

also check out Derek Trucks (his songs are under Derek Trucks Band). In my opinion the best slide player around these days. He is truly mind-boggling. He plays almost every song in open E.
punkrock4all
74 IQ
idk if youd count this as blues, but bad to the bone
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
BKR
186 IQ
gnr - you aint the first
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

5kuzgib
74 IQ
Statesboro blues = slidegasm
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat
Washburn HB35
PRS Santana SE
Yamaha Pacifica 112MX
Vox AD30VT
Fender Champion 600
Dunlop wah
Danelectro Cool Cat fuzz
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
I Can't Be Satisfied - Muddy Waters
Death Letter - Son House

Almost all of Robert Johnson's songs were slide, I believe. I know that Blind Willie Johnson is considered the most technically proficient slide guitarist.
Last edited by opivy21 at Aug 5, 2007,
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
Basically listen to The Allman Brothers Band, and any song that exhibits a slide is going to be a slide masterpiece.

Derek Trucks also has some great material in The Derek Trucks band.

Also, Hound Dog Taylor is a very good Blues slide guitarist.
captain_jack
call me Caleb
429 IQ
Quote by s/ash
traveling riverside blues

QFT

also Dust my Broom by Robert Johnson/Elmore James/ZZ Top
ECistheBest
Makes Pedals for YOU!
1,824 IQ
Derek Trucks is crazy. if you're just getting into slide guitar, he's way too insane. i'd love to play like him though.

Same goes to Duane Allman. although he has some simple yet awesome slide riffs. ie: Statesboro Blues, One Way Out, and that kinda stuff. but what he "can" do was different. layla's outro was played with his slides going past the frets, with him creating more frets!!! he's so cool...

Rollin' and Tumblin' is cool. but clapton got some other slide songs on Unplugged too.

Rory Gallagher is very good at slides. i love how he goes insane with Bullfrog Blues and such songs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
Dust My Broom-Elmore James
Death Letter Blues-Son House
Statesboro Blues-Taj Mahal/Allman Brothers

If you really want to take your slide playing above and beyond, try to get some influences from other than just the blues, given it's basically a requirement to have a blues background for slide, but also check out some Sacred Steel like Aubrey Ghent and Robert Randolph and like Derek Trucks, check out some Eastern Music like Ravi Shankar, Ananda Shankar, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, and Ali Akbar Kahn. Even get some jazz in there, I find it pretty easy to get some Miles into my slide playing, or someone of that sort for beginners.
claptonfan55
Bluesius Maximus
408 IQ
Check out songs by Johnny Shines, Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Son House, Elmore James, Allman Bros., Jimmy Dillon, and Rory Gallagher.
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
Also another way to go above and beyond in your slide playing, play as if you are singing. Basically try to imitate the human voice in your slide playing. Derek Trucks has a lot of gospel voice influence in his slide playing for example. This can also be applied to normal playing, this is what my jazz guitar teacher stresses a lot.
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
Quote by ECistheBest
layla's outro was played with his slides going past the frets, with him creating more frets!!! he's so cool...

That's because the frets are only there for reference with slide guitar playing, so as long as you're playing on the string you'll hit a note, but whether it's sharp, flat, or perfect is a matter of how well you know the instrument and technique for slide.
wholovesthesun
Blues Purist
367 IQ
Early Muddy Waters songs have some great and easy slide licks you can learn from.
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
shredmeiser101
bomb-chika-wah-wow
2,706 IQ
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Quote by ledhed68
Dust My Broom-Elmore James

Dust My Broom is just briliant cause the band is clueless.

You listen to the Bass player, and acuse Elmore James is just singing what he wants to sing, then playing what he wants to play - he just changes chord anytime. And you hear his bass player like " bum bum bum cha- bum bu-change bum bu- cha- -wait- bum change"

It's great.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
BigDoug
The Human Riff Jr.
143 IQ
Quote by wholovesthesun
Early Muddy Waters songs have some great and easy slide licks you can learn from.

Thats because Muddy is God....him and apparently Clapton too