Page 1 of 2
Right, soo...

I wanna make some pulla... I spoke to kensai and asked if he knew what it was, apparently it means something naughty in Swedish. Please be aware that I'm talking about a type of baking not foreplay :p

Anyway, it's a Finnish bun/bread roll typed thing, known by Finns in America as 'Finnish coffee bread' or something similar.

So I look online to get a recipe, and all of them are from American websites, that say x cups of flour, x cups of milk, etc etc.

So... wtfs a cup?!

Do you mean like, a mug? or a glass tumbler? because they both have different volumes...

Or, is there like, a special measuring jug thing that lives in every American kitchen that measures out one 'cups-worth'? In which case, where can I get one? And if I can't, what's the volume of it? I'm so confused! Help!

Sorry, I always love cultural differences.

You can probably look up conversions on google or something.

And yes, there is a little cup that lives in all our kitchens :P
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
xD Americans are odd.
Quote by bananahammock
How many mods does it take ban half of the pit?
one, Carmel.

▼▼▼▼▼▼
▼▼ ▲ ▲▼▼
▼▼▼▼
▲ ▲▲ ▲
hahah you dont know what a cup is? thats funny. well i guess i dont know your units of measure. but its 8 fluid ounces.
i think a cup's like 8 oz.
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
lol "wtfs a cup"

EDIT: 235 ml
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by cobain_is_king
Cups come in all different sizes :s

Thats what I thought!!

Thanks for the useful responses guys.

Do you think my best bet is converting everything into the cup measurements (I mean how are you meant to work out the fluid ounces of flour? it's a solid!) or trying to obtain one of these elusive cups?
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Thats what I thought!!

Do you think my best bet is converting everything into the cup measurements (I mean how are you meant to work out the fluid ounces of flour? it's a solid!) or trying to obtain one of these elusive cups?

just level the flour in a measuring cup to around 240mL...that's about 1 cup.
i cant cook for crap so you might want to ask emeril...BAM.

hey cody fancy meeting you here
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
yeah a cup is 235ml just checked on my moms measuring cup set
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Thats what I thought!!

Do the conversion. By that I mean convert to U.S. standard measure and go buy an elusive cup.
C'mon all the kids are doin it.

Actually if you have a regular sized coffee cup that will work out just fine for ya.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Yeah, us americans have cups we use to measure that have measurements listed on the side. Get one :P
Thanks.

And I'll try and track one down, but if I can't at least I know the amounts now

This'll make using internet recipes a lot easier!
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I wanna make some pulla... I spoke to kensai and asked if he knew what it was, apparently it means something naughty in Swedish. Please be aware that I'm talking about a type of baking not foreplay :p!

Boooooring! Come here and we'll do the swedish version.

Then you can make the finnish version. I'm multicultural, you know.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by HaKattack
Recipe with UK measurements

For what it's worth

Thanks!!

I'll have to change that recipe though, when I've made them before I've made them as little buns rather than loaves, and if I roll the whole thing out I can put some cinnimon icing in the middle
i always wondered why o we Americans don´t use the metric system.
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
Quote by shut_up_n00b

...because the English first colonized America so they brought their stupid-ass Imperial Units.
Quote by shut_up_n00b

theres nothing stopping you from using the metric system. it just takes a little getting used to. think of stuff in metres and kilos instead of feet and pounds. there's metric conversions on most stuff that you buy by volume or weight.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Well technically the UK still uses imperial measurements, you would go into a pub and order a pint, not howevermany litres

And I have a set of scales that measures in ounces.

But that won't be much use now I'm on the hunt for one of these american cups...
Quote by gurusan
...because the English first colonized America so they brought their stupid-ass Imperial Units.

Nothing stupid about imperial measures. After all, "poundcake" sounds way better than a "four-hundred and fifty-three point five nine gram cake".
From Wikipedia:

Pulla is also common in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which has a large Finnish population. There, however, it is more commonly known as nisu, which is the old Finnish word for the same.

I live in the UP! I'm also half Finnish, and thereby part of the Finnish population, as is made evident by my last name of Hakola! What a wonderful thread this is!
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by benjy118
xD Americans are odd.

Maybe you're the odd one bucko! =P

We tried to do metric back in the 70s, my mom told me about it. They tried for like six months but were like "this is too damn difficult".
Quote by HaKattack
From Wikipedia:

Pulla is also common in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, which has a large Finnish population. There, however, it is more commonly known as nisu, which is the old Finnish word for the same.

I live in the UP! I'm also half Finnish, and thereby part of the Finnish population, as is made evident by my last name of Hakola! What a wonderful thread this is!

Yay!

I'm not actually Finnish, but my dad lives over there, and he married a Finnish woman who introduced me to the wonders of Finnish baking.

Now I know the american cups measurement system I can make panakku as well
Quote by MightyAl
Nothing stupid about imperial measures. After all, "poundcake" sounds way better than a "four-hundred and fifty-three point five nine gram cake".

I think they are stupid. A system based on 10s is much more logical and easy to convert.

Converting millimeter to kilometer is easy ....converting inch to mile will take you a bit longer.

I'm a motorsport engineering student and I can tell you, the metric system is just SOOO much better.
Quote by gurusan
I think they are stupid. A system based on 10s is much more logical and easy to convert.

Converting millimeter to kilometer is easy ....converting inch to mile will take you a bit longer.

I'm a motorsport engineering student and I can tell you, the metric system is just SOOO much better.

I'm not entirely ignorant of the metric system, it does make science so much simpler. But I prefer to use imperial measures(if I use measures at all) in cooking, because I find it easier, for some reason.
I also think of myself in imperial terms - for example, I think of myself as 6'2", rather than 1.88m, and in weight terms, I prefer (about) 14 1/2 stone to 91.5kg.
And converting an inch to a mile takes no time at all if your mental arithmetic skills are beyond those of a 10 year old.
Quote by MightyAl
I'm not entirely ignorant of the metric system, it does make science so much simpler. But I prefer to use imperial measures(if I use measures at all) in cooking, because I find it easier, for some reason.
I also think of myself in imperial terms - for example, I think of myself as 6'2", rather than 1.88m, and in weight terms, I prefer (about) 14 1/2 stone to 91.5kg.
And converting an inch to a mile takes no time at all if your mental arithmetic skills are beyond those of a 10 year old.

12*5280 is hardly a difficult problem but when you are constantly converting things back and forth it's quite taxing when in the metric system you just move the decimal over a few digits.

but I do agree that in cooking I prefer cups and other imperial units...and my height as well...maybe because I'm American and grew up like that...I dunno.

but when dealing with science it's quite a pain in the arse
Quote by gurusan
12*5280 is hardly a difficult problem but when you are constantly converting things back and forth it's quite taxing when in the metric system you just move the decimal over a few digits.

but I do agree that in cooking I prefer cups and other imperial units...and my height as well...maybe because I'm American and grew up like that...I dunno.

but when dealing with science it's quite a pain in the arse

The imperial system was fine when it was invented, but that's mainly because most people didn't have much use for oodles of calculations like that.
The main advantage to metric, though, is it's properly standardised, which is far more important than making things a little easier(which just encourages lazy thinking, IMO).
I don't see why us Americans think we're better than everyone else and need our own units of measurements. It's not as logical as the metric system.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
lots of Americans use the metric system! they just tend to be, well, lets just say they have no particular involvement in the fields of science or culinary arts.

just use a coffee cup or about a half dozen shot glasses
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Yeah but that all depends on the size of your coffee cups

I want a picture of you holding a cup.
Quote by shut_up_n00b

The U.S. Govt. officially adopted the metric system in '74 or '75 somewhere around there anyways. Most of us just ignored it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Metal claw
I want a picture of you holding a cup.

Oh yeah? Well, we want more picture of that tattooed babe you posted in... Some random thread a while back.
Quote by Renka
Oh yeah? Well, we want more picture of that tattooed babe you posted in... Some random thread a while back.

+1
Page 1 of 2