i have been playing alot of acoustic recently. i need something with a better sound than my free carlo robelli i got when i purchased my amp from sam ash. would i be better of spending say $700 on a new one or go for a more vintage one. i think vintage acoustics like say a guild or a gibson look pretty badass...i like that wear and tear look. i have never heard one though so i was wondering if they sound better. is that why theyre so much? your help will be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Well a new Gibson acoustic would run at least 2000 USD, high end guitars cost a lot, and they retain value better.

Some Gibson acoustics are rarer than others, so these will obviously cost more, but you can get a nice old Gibson archtop for under 1 grand if you know how to look.

Anywhoo, acoustic guitars (all guitars really) do sound better as they age, but if you do buy an old one make sure it's not falling apart.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
As has been said, guitars tend to sound better with age. Especially solid wood acoustics, which "sweeten" over time. You'd probably be best taking this to the acoustic forum though.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
gibson and martin acoustics made before 1970 are like gold in my area. they do sound great, very high quality. hard to get a great deal though; most people who have em know exactly what they are worth and don't really need or want to sell. Martin D28s tend to bring around $2000-3000 USD in NC, but the good thing is there is little difficulty getting your money back if you want to sell. most guitars made outside of the US won't bring half the original sale price, no matter how long you hold it. my father retired at 44, and all he does is trade vintage Martins. itz good bizz...

btw, Blueridge makes a great guitar in that same price range, but ya gotta play em first. Heard one that was awesome, and about a dozen others in the store had almost no bass at all, sounded like a damn mandolin

EDIT oops I forgot. no matter what, solid wood or at least solid top guitars are much much much much much much better than all others, no matter who made it or what it sells for.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by millerdrr
EDIT oops I forgot. no matter what, solid wood or at least solid top guitars are much much much much much much better than all others, no matter who made it or what it sells for.

It would be better tonally. Because it's a solid top or full solid doesn't mean that it's been built better.

Bad bracing could leave the guitar unstable, bad intonation, angled bridge, all of which would lead to a bad guitar. Although to be fair, if a company is going to make a full solid you wouldn't expect many problems with it, but I just want to make that clear.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by x..y...u
does it cost alot to fix stuff like that? intonation and bad bracing

Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you Don't expect anything like that. My point was simply that non laminate=/= epic guitar. Not always.

Bad or damaged bracing would probably be impossible to fix in an acoustic, I'm not sure. I don't have a clue how to set the intonation on an acoustic, I'm assuming it's easy enough to do though.
Call me Callum

You should check out new Washburn acoustics. They are fantastic, and not that expensive.
LastFM
my deviantART
Quote by saintjimmy99
thank you kindly. now feel free to put a quote from me in your sig that says whatever you like.
Quote by roythereaper
It would be better tonally. Because it's a solid top or full solid doesn't mean that it's been built better.

Bad bracing could leave the guitar unstable, bad intonation, angled bridge, all of which would lead to a bad guitar. Although to be fair, if a company is going to make a full solid you wouldn't expect many problems with it, but I just want to make that clear.

yep. sorry to oversimplify. also, be wary that, at least around here, counterfeits turn up occasionally. sometimes very good; saw a gibson grenada banjo that was absolutely perfect except for the serial number was in the wrong place.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break