so i'm saving up money/waiting for christmas to buy a new amp. at the moment, i have a line 6 spider III 15 and i'm really not very satisfied with it. a lot of times the tones on the clean and metal setting don't work until you move them back and forth and the sound is too electronic. so i'm definetly going to get one for christmas from my dad buy i'm not sure what. as far as i'm concerned my budget is like $400-$550 which makes it very difficult to get a good amp, but at the same time a good price.

i've been playing for about three years on my cheap ibanez rg120, and i'm quite good because i also play another string instrument, so i wasn't starting out of the blue. hopefully after i buy an amp i'll get a job so i can save up for a jackson dk2m dinky. i play a lot of metal, i.e. pantera, megadeth, job for a cowboy, as i lay dying, children of bodom etc. and i would really like an amp that has an impressive sound when it comes to distortion but also a really good clean setting because i use both a lot.

i'm really looking for a half stack, preferably not a combo amp. this is very hard because there are very few half stacks in my price range, and i guarantee my parents will not pay more that that. i've been looking around at a lot of amps and i'm getting a lot of mixed reviews, especially on sites like guitarcenter.com, so i decided getting opinions from actual people would be a lot better. i would definetly buy a used amp assuming it's in good condition, though i probably wouldn't go as far as ebay. i would love opinions of affordable half stacks that are suitable for a lot of metal, and any combo amp that can hold its own against half stacks. i will start gigging soon, once my band writes more so i would like an amp that would the appropriate sound for live shows, though very small ones.
randall makes a variety of good high gain solid states for cheap, look into randall combos. dimebag also used a solid state randall for just about all of his career.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
I give it about 5 more posts before Slats has you convinced to get a tube combo instead of a half stack. Listen to him when he comes, you won't regret it.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
a used peavey 5150 COMBO. when u find a deal, TAKE IT!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i have to say, the 5150 combo seems really good, though there is no way i can play one. i have two guitar stores next to me. guitar center has only a couple randalls, not this one ( i called) and grandma's doesn't carry randalls.

though convincing my dad to pay 650 will be difficult
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^85%. go check it out at their house tho.

this one's a steal. http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-JCM800-Lead-Series-2210-Head-Amp-MULLARD-el34s_W0QQitemZ200137078989QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
a jcm800 for $280. missing knobs, spray painted TB7 or sumtin but who cares!!! JCM800!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
they live in detroit. that's really far away.

besides, if it is a scam, is still works in to my plan of running my dad dry. now if only it was christmas i would get my dad to buy that now.

btw, the only reason that one is 280 is because is still has 3 days left. most people bid in the last five minutes.

i've actually seen an only fender amp sell for $0.01 because no one payed attention to it
Quote by tpkemme
what are the chances this is not a scam

http://columbus.craigslist.org/msg/380614412.html
5150 combo for 450

Can you go play it yourself and see? If you aren't that experienced with amps I'd bring along a friend that would know enough about them to help.

I don't know enough about high-gain amps to give any recommendations, but I've heard good things about the Randall's and the 5150's.
i have plenty of experience with amps.

its just i live in new mexico, that person lives in detroit.
Last edited by tpkemme at Aug 5, 2007,
^ouch. i dunno then. but a used 5150 would be really nice. it would complete ur rig.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i agree. then i'll buy some emgs and the mt-2 pedal and i'll be good for a while.
mt-2 would muddy up the tone. see if you can get the gain u need from the amp itself.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i've looked at that crate. it's a good amp but it's really not good for distortion extremes like death metal.

that and i've already convince my dad to buy me the 5150. which actually doesn't mean he will but you never no.

the 5150s are discontinued right?
i have a crate rfx 120 and it has one of the best distortions i have ever heard from a solidstate amp. the solo channel has crushing metal distortion, the rhythm channel has some great distortion too but not as heavy. the clean channel is really versitile too. it costs about $500