Hello. This is not actually TheShred201, I'm his friend. As the Title says. Slap on a P-bass. I think I can do it, but I've heard from people that P-Basses are horrible for slapping, but I liked it. Does anyone else like to slap on a P-Bass, or am I crazy. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.
Slap on a P-bass is a barkier, edgier sound, but with slap, it's always in the EQ. A P-Bass will sound like hell on a 15W practice amp. With a proper EQ, you can get a very aggressive slap tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It's all in the strings and EQ(like thefitz said), more slinkier strings(heavier gauges) will give you a better slap tone, and find the right EQ setup and you'll be good to go.
you will deff want to roll down on the tone knob for sure or you will wake the nieghborhood dogs *grimaces in pain*
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Last edited by Emergancy Exit at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by watchingmefall
Different strokes for different folks! And so on and so on!
(cookie to anyone who gets the reference)

"Oh I am everyday people....Yeah yeah yeah". Mr. Graham, can I have my cookie now?

Yes, you can slap but as said before, cut the mids and highs and get yourself a set of hybrid strings. I do this with my P bass clone. What you get is a punkier slap tone, for lack of a better description.
I slap my P-bass silly. And it sounds just fine.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
I slap alot on my P bass.I have a 1951 P bass reissue.Sounds really good through my new Ampeg SVT-3PRO jus got yesterday =)
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Personally I love the slap tone of a P-bass- pure growly attack. You're not crazy because I too appreciate the sound, so you're not the only one
signature
Quote by The1bassist06
I slap alot on my P bass.I have a 1951 P bass reissue.Sounds really good through my new Ampeg SVT-3PRO jus got yesterday =)

I have the same bass and used to do it, but my flatwounds and vintage sized frets make me not want to.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
It takes, diff'rent strokes/ it takes, diff'rent strokes/it takes, diff'rent strokes to MOVE THE WOOOOOOORLD.

Anyway slap on a P-bass is alright I guess. It really is all about how you EQ the sound and the quality of the amp. The only thing I don't like about the p-bass is that it doesn't have a pickup close to the bridge so the slap tone will never be optimal in my opinion.
Quote by anarkee
"Oh I am everyday people....Yeah yeah yeah". Mr. Graham, can I have my cookie now?

Yes, you can slap but as said before, cut the mids and highs and get yourself a set of hybrid strings. I do this with my P bass clone. What you get is a punkier slap tone, for lack of a better description.

Ok, here's your cookie... You better not enjoy it.
Last edited by watchingmefall at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by watchingmefall
Ok, here's your cookie... You better not enjoy it.

But but...I love cookies!
Quote by thefitz
I have the same bass and used to do it, but my flatwounds and vintage sized frets make me not want to.

I love it wat do u think of it?
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Quote by The1bassist06

funny stuff I just bought an early-model SVT-3PRO the day before yesterday. we must be soulmates
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Quote by The1bassist06
I love it wat do u think of it?

Mine was made in 1990, and it weighs about 16lbs. Recent ones I've tried weigh literally half that. What's yours?

Anyway, it's a valued part of my collection and will never go out of rotation. It has the tone for a certain style of song that simply cannot be replicated on my fancy basses.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
yeah i use my Pbass on those "barely noticable" bass parts with the tone rolled all the way down i have not messed with finding the perfect EQ Setting on my new rig yet for my Pbass been too busy just enjoying the sound of it to really do anything else.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by thefitz
Slap on a P-bass is a barkier, edgier sound, but with slap, it's always in the EQ. A P-Bass will sound like hell on a 15W practice amp. With a proper EQ, you can get a very aggressive slap tone.
THAT'S why I tried to learn it today and it sounded crap! Thanks!