Page 1 of 2

This is the thread to discuss anything related to these fine Guitar/Amp makers.
Or to post pics of your Carvin gear.

I myself am getting a Carvin DC127 with $500 worth of customizing
for my birthday and hopefully the Carvin Solid State Single-Stack
(the Legacy Single-Stack will have to wait )

Anyways, start posting away about these beauties!
I <3 Carvin. Before I die i'm going to order a DC747, and a California Carved Top. If I didn't have my Ibanez Universe, I would have a DC747. Not sure if I made the right choice, but I scored that Universe for cheap as **** so its ok.

Right now I have a V3 head and I think it's one of the best heads on the market. It's not overly expensive, and with the setup I have I basically have my dream rig/tone. If it got stolen or should anything happen to it I would buy another instantly.

nice stuff you got there man

I totally want a Legacy or a V3 just because of all the rep it gets but then again
its kinda out of my range if i want the guitar with all the customizing.

I kinda think of their guitars and customizing like this
"go big or go somewhere else "
because if you get a plain straight off guitar then like...where's the quality in that?
you can get it to look so awesome.

and um, why did you choose the Universe over a freaking DC747?!
I mean price wise okay but c'mon.... Carvin 7 string > Ibanez 7 string

oh and if the carved top was like 100bucks cheaper id get it....its so shmexy and
the way im getting my DC127 would make it even shmexier a.k.a. Super bitchin.
Cool, seeing as there is a carvin thread...well, I won't feel shameful about advertising the Carvin club PM me to join!

Here's another pic of my baby.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hell yea, that looks real nice. I like how the maple neck contrasts with the body. The ebony neck would have still looked good, but that maple looks real nice. Birdseye?
Quote by hollow1928years
Hell yea, that looks real nice. I like how the maple neck contrasts with the body. The ebony neck would have still looked good, but that maple looks real nice. Birdseye?

Birdseye fretboard
Walnut body
Hard Rock maple neck
Tung Oil finish

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
dude omg nice!

i didnt know you could get a 7string with that finish/wood

what is it?
maybe the DC127 has that as an option...I SOOOOOO want my guitar
to look like that rather then white white with all gold hardware (no its not a spelling error incase someone reads the 'white white' part, its a color option )

i was actually thinking of getting a maple neck with a koa body, would that be like...a good idea?
i heard koa is HELLA lightweight so yeah.
Hell yea, I bet that sounds real nice Mesa.

This would by my DC747 if I were to order.
DC747C - DC747 with Floyd Rose tremolo $ 939.00
LN - locking nut $ 25.00
SL - Dunlop Straploks $ 7.50
32 - coil splitters $ 20.00
36 - Pickups $ 10.00
ABD - abalone dot inlays $ 20.00
STJF - Stainless Steel jumbo frets $ 40.00
TN - tung oil neck $ 50.00
QPH - Quilted Maple Headstock $ 25.00
ETR - Engraved TrussRod Cover (name) $ 10.00
KOA - maple neck and koa body gloss $ 120.00
QTG - instrument color $ 250.00
BST - instrument color $ 25.00
HC11 - Guitar Case $ 49.00
Subtotal $ 1590.50
Shipping $ 19.99
Total $ 1610.49
I'm kinda fed up with trying to sell my F-100 head, sure, I've only had it for sale a little over a week but it does give me a good tone. I'm considering another Carvin 7 string shortly.

DC 747 - Gold hardware
Coil splitter
Abalone Block inlays
Medium stainless frets
Tung oil neck
Swamp ash body
Dragonburst Finish over Quilted top
Matching headstock
Gold Carvin Logo
Tweed Case

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
how would you get dragonburst when its not an option?
=/
unless you called them i guess but then it'd cost like full price then wouldnt it?
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
how would you get dragonburst when its not an option?
=/
unless you called them i guess but then it'd cost like full price then wouldnt it?

You can call and ask for certain things to be done. Like on my specs, it would be 'Dragonburst' but just broken up into Emerald Green quilted and then instead of a crimson burst on the edge, ask them to do blue. Tada.
i just wanna know if i can use a maple neck and koa body gloss with a tung oil finish and have it look like MESA's Carvin.
that thing is the most beautiful thing i've ever seen and i simply must have it
but i just wanted to know if a higher quality wood would look the same.
No, it wouldn't look the same. That dark wood you see is the walnut. It would look like koa, which can be many different shades.
haha bout time we get a thread like this for carvins!well i scored a 2006 carvin dc127 of ebay for 600 with shipping!soo excited!itll arrive tomorrow or tuesday but ill post pics.it was a sweet deal cause it looked brand new,and i did the math and to order the same model exactly the same brand new woulda been at least 1250.now i gotta save for the amp though..i dont have an amp(sold my beginers rig,this will be my 2nd guitar) so excited!well the colors are a bit simple(jet black,chrome hardware,ebony fretboard simple but classy lol) and for the price ii paid guess i cant complain on not choosing anything.if i ever get a custom guitar ima get a brand new carvin or a warmoth build it yourself kinda thing.(although im turnedoff by the bolt on thing)PICS COMING SOON!
I'm pretty sure and set on a Carvin being my next guitar. I just have to get a bitchin' amp first.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I'm definately more of an Ibanez man but I'd love a carvin as well, but for Amps I'd love a carvin.

i know what you mean, but Ibanez comes with the worst fucking stock pickups.
even in the 1000+ models...its all Ibanez modded pickups if its DiMarzios in it...the ONLY exception is the Xiphos and the V Blade guitars which are the only Ibanez guitars on the planet that dont come with Ibanez modded stock pickups or infinities.

as for the amps yeah man....a mastertube is what id like at the moment since the guitar im getting is only $1250 so maybe i could get a mastertube single stack hopefully

edit:

forget the mastertube...its only got clean and CRUNCH settings!!!
i dont want to play anywhere from country to hard rock!!!
I want to play anywhere from hard rock to the heaviest of metals!!!!
boo on that...
Last edited by MrDURPEEDURP at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by Y00p
I'm pretty sure and set on a Carvin being my next guitar. I just have to get a bitchin' amp first.

then get a bitchin mastertube or V3 or Legacy series amp.
all tube amps....all extremely bitchin.
especially the V3 and Legacy...being as the Legacy amps are designed/overlooked by the man Steve Vai himself!
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
i know what you mean, but Ibanez comes with the worst fucking stock pickups.
even in the 1000+ models...its all Ibanez modded pickups if its DiMarzios in it...the ONLY exception is the Xiphos and the V Blade guitars which are the only Ibanez guitars on the planet that dont come with Ibanez modded stock pickups or infinities.

Pickups are easily changed, I don't mind changing the pickups on a guitar that's got the best Trem out (being either the edge of ZR, both good), a great neck, amazing quality control and kick ass looks. But this isnt the Ibanez thread this is the Carvin thread, Dragonburst FTW!!!
haha yeah thats true, but i dont know how to replace my pups....well actually
i probably could easily do it, but im gonna wait till i get my carvin to experiment on my Ibanez.
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
i just wanna know if i can use a maple neck and koa body gloss with a tung oil finish and have it look like MESA's Carvin.
that thing is the most beautiful thing i've ever seen and i simply must have it
but i just wanted to know if a higher quality wood would look the same.

You can't have a gloss and tung oil finish unless you're getting the neck tung oiled only. I prefer the whole guitar to be tung oil finish because it never gets dirty, fingerprints, or oily. If something colorful were to spill on it though, it would stain...I don't play with watercolor paints often so I guess I won't have to worry about that

When you order your guitar, do it over the phone so then the salesman can fix any contradictions you might have and will allow you to suggest say a darker stained finish or such.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Even the most basic of Carvin guitars in general sounds and plays better than anything twice the price. Quality wood, electronics and a neck to die for. I would check out the M22 pickups.
i've had mine for about 5 years now and i love it, hope to get a couple more carvins later in my life, but i could live with just one...i'm just a greedy bastard

sorry for bad quality, cell phone pic

Carvin DC-135
PRS SE Soapbar II

Vox AD30VT

Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Zakk Wylde Dunlop Crybaby

Member #3 of the Carvin Club (PM MESAexplorer to join)

2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by kanamvar32

dude!
before i joined UG i used to come here like everyday for tabs and to browse the forums quickly and i remember seeing a thread where you got this guitar and got bare knuckle pups to be put in and i remember you were at your college playing and some kid stopped by and asked "hey are you playing a seven string?" and so on and so forth
^yeap, i made that thread months ago the guitar and BKPs have been going strong since- my playing, on the other hand, not so much
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Quote by kanamvar32
^yeap, i made that thread months ago the guitar and BKPs have been going strong since- my playing, on the other hand, not so much

haha dude i remember seeing your guitar in another carvin thread and its freaking awesome!mines the exact same oppositte(ill post a pic tomorrow) of yours lol.when i save im gonna get some bkp on my carvin(after i buy a good amp) whats your set up on that carvin?yay!pictures tomorrow of mine.very simple though.heh nvm just saw the sig.what do you think is a good versatile comobo of bkp?are your versatile or more for metal?
Last edited by [ktulu] at Aug 7, 2007,
Wow, a lot of members of Sevenstring.org here eh?

If I were to buy a Carvin it would probably be a Holdsworth model.
[quote="'[ktulu"]']haha dude i remember seeing your guitar in another carvin thread and its freaking awesome!mines the exact same oppositte(ill post a pic tomorrow) of yours lol.when i save im gonna get some bkp on my carvin(after i buy a good amp) whats your set up on that carvin?yay!pictures tomorrow of mine.very simple though.heh nvm just saw the sig.what do you think is a good versatile comobo of bkp?are your versatile or more for metal?

post pics ASAP!

The NB/CWP is more geared toward metal. The neck pickup sounds pretty damn good clean and for leads while the bridge is just a riffing monster. Another combo people seem to like is the Cold Sweat/Nailbomb bridge. The CS is an amazing lead pickup, still sounds good clean, and matches up well the bridge in terms of output (unlike NB/CWP). The NB bridge is pretty high output but also good for soloing and some cleans. If you want something more thrashy/80s metal for the bridge the Miracle Man is a nice choice.

the stock carvin pickups are pretty plain. the neck pickup is significantly better than the bridge which sounds too thin for metal. The BKP are definitely fuller and have more balls. I don't want to sound like a queer or anything but I like more balls

im also a SS.org memeber
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

oh yeah thats right....

well what you do is lower it.
mine used to get in my way and i got it lowered like half an inch and now its perfect.
they help you pick out your sweet spots for pinch harmonics too.

pup question
would replacing the stock pups with the H22N and H22T pups be good for metal then?
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
oh yeah thats right....

well what you do is lower it.
mine used to get in my way and i got it lowered like half an inch and now its perfect.
they help you pick out your sweet spots for pinch harmonics too.

pup question
would replacing the stock pups with the H22N and H22T pups be good for metal then?

Mine is no where near in the way of my picking.

If I get another I'm still kinda deciding whether or not I'd go for the DC-727 or 747. Sure, the 747 is more versatile, but I always end up playing the bridge and neck pickup anyway. Unless I'm having a blues jam...

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by kanamvar32
post pics ASAP!

The NB/CWP is more geared toward metal. The neck pickup sounds pretty damn good clean and for leads while the bridge is just a riffing monster. Another combo people seem to like is the Cold Sweat/Nailbomb bridge. The CS is an amazing lead pickup, still sounds good clean, and matches up well the bridge in terms of output (unlike NB/CWP). The NB bridge is pretty high output but also good for soloing and some cleans. If you want something more thrashy/80s metal for the bridge the Miracle Man is a nice choice.

the stock carvin pickups are pretty plain. the neck pickup is significantly better than the bridge which sounds too thin for metal. The BKP are definitely fuller and have more balls. I don't want to sound like a queer or anything but I like more balls

im also a SS.org memeber

well i finally was able to get pics man.
ok heres the guitar i got from ebay,bit dirty already hehe(and gloss black is such a bad color to take pictures of)
heres the auction.(better pictures there and description)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230156425231&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=013

(Invalid img)

Thing is dunno if its a big deal or not but in the light the ebony fretboard looks weird and has this sort of whiteish cracks (as you can see in the picture) you think osme lemon oil will fix that up or are all ebony fretboards like that(cause i see your guitar and the ebony has no lines or cracks,its just flat black unlike mine ) is this normal?
[quote="'[ktulu"]']

Thing is dunno if its a big deal or not but in the light the ebony fretboard looks weird and has this sort of whiteish cracks (as you can see in the picture) you think osme lemon oil will fix that up or are all ebony fretboards like that(cause i see your guitar and the ebony has no lines or cracks,its just flat black unlike mine ) is this normal?

That's looking sharp and nice price too!

The ebony does get a bit dry and even dust and crap makes it look dull and damaged; however, you can use a fretboard cleaner/conditioner and it should take care of it. I took the pictures of my guitar right when I got it and its been some times since and now my fretbooard is starting to get a bit dirty and whatnot. After you clean and condition your board things should be good.
Gibson SG Special
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head

Page 1 of 2