212 has 2x 12" speakers, so it's kinda in stereo (if it has effects, they should be in stereo on the amp giving them more depth), and its a little louder. 112 has a single 12" speaker.

It doesn't make much difference really, its a matter of choice more than anything imo.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
112: lighter, cheaper

212: more volume, fuller sounding

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

1x12 = smaller, lighter, cheaper

2x12 = better IMO due to the ability to have 2 different speakers, heavier, can handle more power, sounds thicker..

There is no definitive better option, just what individuals prefer.
Quote by Blompcube
212 has 2x 12" speakers, so it's kinda in stereo (if it has effects, they should be in stereo on the amp giving them more depth), and its a little louder. 112 has a single 12" speaker.

It doesn't make much difference really, its a matter of choice more than anything imo.

A 2x12 in stereo would be so pointless, you'd only hear the stereo effect if you put your head between the speakers.

TS: I'd say a 112 would be best for things like recording and rehearsals whereas a 212 would be better for live shows and 2-guitar-band rehearals.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
With no intent to hijack this thread, would there be a substantial difference betweem a 210 and a 212? I'll hazard a guess at volume, but will there be anything else?
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
less bass, and brighter ^ and volume too yeah.

thansk everyone, but what would be best for me: i'm gonna use it for rehearsals and gigs, no bedroom jamming. i don't like much weigth though, but would the weight of one speaker extra be so much more ??
Do you mean the 210 has less bass AND is brighter too? You didn't really explain that properly...

As for your problem, if you're playing gigs a 212 would probably be better, I doubt the added weight would be too much.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Quote by roythereaper
Do you mean the 210 has less bass AND is brighter too? You didn't really explain that properly...

As for your problem, if you're playing gigs a 212 would probably be better, I doubt the added weight would be too much.

sorry, yeah it's a bit brighter and has less bass due to the smaller speakers. you can always turn the bass up though. sometimes 10" have less deep bass too.
not so warm, that could be good or bad for you. it's all about preferance.
i prefer 12".
generally, the bigger the speaker, the more bass you get. 12" is the guitar amp industry standard cause it's balanced nicely. for jazzy (more bassy) amps they sometimes use bigger speakers. but some people prefer 10" though, they're brighter due to the 'lack' of bass. as i said, you could turn the bass up though, but it wouldn't be as warm as a 12" speaker.
genreally spoken of course, there are exceptions.

why would it be better ??
and could i add a speaker to a 112 amp ??
Last edited by The Masterplan at Aug 6, 2007,
112: Smaller. Cheaper

212: A little bit more expensive. Won't blow up.

1 speaker isn't enough for anything beyond like 60 watts. In my opinion that is.
Well when theres only 1 speaker.. It's taking on all the power on it's own.. When there's two, the power is shared between them.. Making it less likely for the bastard to blow :/
Quote by roythereaper
Do you mean the 210 has less bass AND is brighter too?

Tens don't necessarily have less bass response. Bass amps frequently come equipped with 10's, they can handle bass. They tend to be punchier and more aggressive on the attack due to their smaller size, because signal makes it's way to the edge of the cone that much quicker on a smaller speaker. Bass and treble characteristics will differ based on other factors, just like with 12's.

Quote by The Masterplan
why would it be better ??
and could i add a speaker to a 112 amp ??

I don't know that it would be better. In general, when gigging, you're going to be mic'ing the amp, anyway.

As for adding a speaker, it depends on the amp. I have a couple combos that'll run an extension speaker in parallel, and another that just automatically cuts out the internal speaker.

Quote by Untitled001
1 speaker isn't enough for anything beyond like 60 watts. In my opinion that is.

Mesa/Boogie has made 100W 112's. They're pretty good. Again, depends on the amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Last edited by slatsmania at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by slatsmania
Tens don't necessarily have less bass response. Bass amps frequently come equipped with 10's, they can handle bass. They tend to be punchier and more aggressive on the attack due to their smaller size, because signal makes it's way to the edge of the cone that much quicker on a smaller speaker. Bass and treble characteristics will differ based on other factors, just like with 12's.

I don't know that it would be better. In general, when gigging, you're going to be mic'ing the amp, anyway.

Mesa/Boogie has made 100W 112's. They're pretty good. Again, depends on the amp.

are you sure about that ? i noticed other things when i tried 10" amps...

i'm not going to mic it when i gig...

what do you think would be the best for me ? a 112 or a 212 ?
or could you give the pros and cons of both too, or differences sound-wise ?

and i'm just curious, but why do you use invisible mode ?
Quote by The Masterplan
are you sure about that ? i noticed other things when i tried 10" amps...

I run a 2x10 cab with an AC30 that you would have a tough time differentiating from the famous 12" Celestion Blues. There's so much more to the frequency response you get from a speaker than it's size.

Quote by The Masterplan
i'm not going to mic it when i gig...

Why not? Depending on where you're playing, I'd think you'd come across places that would require you to. It's hell on a soundman to try to keep levels if he doesn't have control of all of them.

Quote by The Masterplan
what do you think would be the best for me ? a 112 or a 212 ?
or could you give the pros and cons of both too, or differences sound-wise ?

Again, it's so subjective. One great speaker is better than two so-so ones. Two speakers will sound "fuller" and will raise the volume of the amp a bit. I think the best application for two speakers is to mix and match two different ones for more complexity. In that case, two has a big advantage.

But a 112 is a lot easier to travel with. Ideally, a 1x12 with an extension cab that can be run in parallel would be the best. That way, when you didn't need the extra speakers, you could leave them at home and travel light. But when you did need them, they'd be available.

Quote by The Masterplan
and i'm just curious, but why do you use invisible mode ?

Because I'm dark and mysterious.

Actually it's a habit that I got into when posting on more acrimonious boards than this one. Where people want to kill you over your opinion about a football team or something. So now it's the way I sign up for any new board. It just works for me.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I run a 2x10 cab with an AC30 that you would have a tough time differentiating from the famous 12" Celestion Blues. There's so much more to the frequency response you get from a speaker than it's size.

Why not? Depending on where you're playing, I'd think you'd come across places that would require you to. It's hell on a soundman to try to keep levels if he doesn't have control of all of them.

Again, it's so subjective. One great speaker is better than two so-so ones. Two speakers will sound "fuller" and will raise the volume of the amp a bit. I think the best application for two speakers is to mix and match two different ones for more complexity. In that case, two has a big advantage.

But a 112 is a lot easier to travel with. Ideally, a 1x12 with an extension cab that can be run in parallel would be the best. That way, when you didn't need the extra speakers, you could leave them at home and travel light. But when you did need them, they'd be available.

Because I'm dark and mysterious.

Actually it's a habit that I got into when posting on more acrimonious boards than this one. Where people want to kill you over your opinion about a football team or something. So now it's the way I sign up for any new board. It just works for me.

thanks alot. really good suggestion on the extra cab !
but does an extra speaker really make that much difference in weight ? and is a 212 version bigger than the 112 version of the same amp maybe ?

oh and i'm not going to mic it cause it's idiotic to buy an expensive tube amp and then run it through a cheap crap sounding PA that ampifies everything.
that's just plain stupid and sounds bad.
even 'good' PA's sound bad as opposed to every instrument with it's own amp.
Quote by The Masterplan
thanks alot. really good suggestion on the extra cab !
but does an extra speaker really make that much difference in weight ? and is a 212 version bigger than the 112 version of the same amp maybe ?

I have the Vox AC30CC1, the ugly stepchild of the AC30 family. For comparison's sake, it's probably about 6" less wide, and I believe the weight difference is in excess of 15 pounds. Substantial enough that they put two extra handles on the 2x12 that they didn't feel the need to add to the 1x12.

Quote by The Masterplan
oh and i'm not going to mic it cause it's idiotic to buy an expensive tube amp and then run it through a cheap crap sounding PA that ampifies everything.
that's just plain stupid and sounds bad.
even 'good' PA's sound bad as opposed to every instrument with it's own amp.

If you're playing a quality venure, they should have a quality PA. I was at a show last night where three acts shared a lot of the same equipment. They all plugged into a mic'd up silverface Fender Vibrochamp (sitting on a table with a lamp next to it!) and it sounded great.

Mic'ing it into your band's Behringer PA would, of course, be a different story.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I have the Vox AC30CC1, the ugly stepchild of the AC30 family. For comparison's sake, it's probably about 6" less wide, and I believe the weight difference is in excess of 15 pounds. Substantial enough that they put two extra handles on the 2x12 that they didn't feel the need to add to the 1x12.

If you're playing a quality venure, they should have a quality PA. I was at a show last night where three acts shared a lot of the same equipment. They all plugged into a mic'd up silverface Fender Vibrochamp (sitting on a table with a lamp next to it!) and it sounded great.

Mic'ing it into your band's Behringer PA would, of course, be a different story.

ok, i'm convinced now, and tomorrow i'm going to buy that blues deluxe reissue !
(i could give a review if anyone is interested)

i don't understand the '(sitting on a table with a lamp next to it!)' part, (probably cause i'm from belgium) but anyways, i had some bad experiences with cheap PA's and to me, even the good ones don't sound so good. it depends on who the PA does too i guess. not many people nowadays know the art of fine-tuning a sound...
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
A 2x12 in stereo would be so pointless, you'd only hear the stereo effect if you put your head between the speakers.

not entirely, i don't think you understood what i meant. I didn't say you'd hear a stereo effect itself, there'd be a certain something added to the effect though.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by The Masterplan
i don't understand the '(sitting on a table with a lamp next to it!)' part, (probably cause i'm from belgium) but anyways

I guess you had to be there. It was three original acts, all sorta indie with the headliner being more of a high energy folk act. The venue was in the garment district in Manhattan, the seating in the theater was old car seats, waiting room loveseats, kitchen chairs and barstools, all with numbers on them. On the stage was a table you might find in some old person's (older than me! ) living room, with a Vibrochamp and an table lamp sitting on it. All part of the vibe of the evening. It was pretty cool.

oh, and BTW, if you were deciding between the Blues Deluxe and DeVille, the DeVille is also a higher wattage amp 60W vs. 40W. I think the Deluxe is a better choice based on that. Plenty of clean headroom, but a breakup point that's usable in a small gig situation.

Good luck with it!

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
I guess you had to be there. It was three original acts, all sorta indie with the headliner being more of a high energy folk act. The venue was in the garment district in Manhattan, the seating in the theater was old car seats, waiting room loveseats, kitchen chairs and barstools, all with numbers on them. On the stage was a table you might find in some old person's (older than me! ) living room, with a Vibrochamp and an table lamp sitting on it. All part of the vibe of the evening. It was pretty cool.

oh, and BTW, if you were deciding between the Blues Deluxe and DeVille, the DeVille is also a higher wattage amp 60W vs. 40W. I think the Deluxe is a better choice based on that. Plenty of clean headroom, but a breakup point that's usable in a small gig situation.

Good luck with it!

oh now i get it

i pretty much decided the deluxe over the deville cause i liked the sound better, mu ch warmer. thanks anyway. although i've been looking at the hot rod deluxe too (but haven't tried it), could you say which one would be better for me, are they similar ?
that's my last question btw

thanks !