Hey all

Just wondering if any one can reccomend a relatively cheap (around $1000 Australian Max) guitar/amp/effects combination that would be good for myself

Bands whose music I like to play:

Tool (main consideration)
Queens of the Stoneage
A Perfect Circle
Nine Inch Nails
Faith No more (or other Patton bands)
Muse
and heaps of other hard rock/alternative type bands

Thankyou muchly
What is that in US dollars?
My Gear

ESP/Ltd EC-1000 w/EMG 81/60
ESP/Ltd H-500 w/ JB/59 Duncans
Fender MIM Strat w/ Hot rail in Bridge

Traynor Custom Valve 80watt 4x10
It's about $850 USD.

You basically want what I want with a $350 greater budget. Look into the schecter classic (you can find good deals used) and some type of modelling amp. I'm still at a large crossroads with my decision so I'm not going to be too useful.
I would suggest that your two main requirements be:

1. Built with Mahogany (Tool, as your main consideration, uses a Mahogany Les Paul for increased sustain. Stick with that would and you'll get a "similar" tone. Similar as in, you'll be a small fraction of the way there. The great majority of tone is the amplifier you choose, but at least you'll have the same wood tone.)

2. Humbucker pickups

-----------------------------------------------------

For amplifiers, I would recommend any Peavey Transtube EFX that fits your budget. I bought the Transtube 1x12 for $400 US. Has the built in effects that don't sound like crap, and good distortion to replicate some of the sounds you listed. Tool is the primary band I cover when doing cover songs, and I was satisfied with the similarity between my tone and Tool's (to a degree, obviously. There is a $4,000 difference between Adam's amp price and the Peavey )
Epiphone LP Custom
Peavey VK 100/Supreme 100 Bi-Amp
Mesa 4x12

Squire P-Pass
GK 1001
GK NEO 4x12
Quote by akick
I would suggest that your two main requirements be:

1. Built with Mahogany (Tool, as your main consideration, uses a Mahogany Les Paul for increased sustain. Stick with that would and you'll get a "similar" tone. Similar as in, you'll be a small fraction of the way there. The great majority of tone is the amplifier you choose, but at least you'll have the same wood tone.)

2. Humbucker pickups

-----------------------------------------------------

For amplifiers, I would recommend any Peavey Transtube EFX that fits your budget. I bought the Transtube 1x12 for $400 US. Has the built in effects that don't sound like crap, and good distortion to replicate some of the sounds you listed. Tool is the primary band I cover when doing cover songs, and I was satisfied with the similarity between my tone and Tool's (to a degree, obviously. There is a $4,000 difference between Adam's amp price and the Peavey )

If you look at this guys gear, he loves Tool. Listen to what he says.
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD EC-1000
Fender American FSR Mahog. Chambered Tele 60th
Fender Mexican Strat SD Hot Rails Br/Ne
Fender Hot Rod Deville 4x10
Boss DD-6
Boss Metal Zone
Well, to start off with some basic tool sound:

1. Guitars.
Look into guitars that are made of mahogany for a deep full sound that have a pickup combination that is high output with plenty of midrange bite. DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan will work best, not EMG. A Les Paul or something similar with a dual humbucker design will work the greatest. In fact, if you look in the right place you can find a Silverburst Les Paul for cheap.

2. Amps.
Here is where it gets tricky. since Adam Jones uses some pricey Diezel heads for his main sound we'll have to compromise mostly here. You'll want any amplifer (tube or solid-state) that has plenty of versatility between volume shifts and coloring of the tone. There are many, many companies to choose from here. You'll need a strong rhythm channel for most of Tool's and others sound, something with a gritty atmospheric sound to it. You'll be the judge of that particular style (assuming you're a Tool fan) but as for company recommendations Peavey puts out a ton of amps that are decent and so does Crate, Marshall, and Vox. My personal interests lean towards Crate's products though. The solid state sound and the tube sound are voiced uniquely and exquisitely for me.

3. Effects
For most of the solos, Jones uses a wah pedal. A Crybaby 535Q would work well, as would a Morley or possibly a Vox. As for everything else run around your gear shop and look for a flanger, delay, chorus, equalizer, and fuzz for the high feedback work. To get control of the effects, might wanna take an interest in purchase of a volume pedal to control some of the noise if a suppressor would take away too much of the hard earned sound. Just be sure that you find a comfortable balance between murky fuzz and usable distortion levels. Oh yeah, almost forgot octave for parts like Vicarious, and if need be, you can by a looper to record some of your previous patterns to layer in the sound.

4. Technique
Palm mutes, pinch harmonics, and complex rhythm patterns. Practice makes perfect. Jones mentioned in an interview the thickness of his strings to be in the range of 46-10 for most of Tool's work and heavier sets are thrown on for dropped tunings and the like for songs like Prison Sex. Just try to enter a calm state of mind for the duration of the performance. Be mindful of how to strike the strings and the gauge of the pick too. Jones is careful at the strength and speed of his picking and strums. He said that a lot of his work is going to deciding how he can switch between rhythmic work and experimental lead.

Yeah...that's about as far as I've come to touching Jones' sound. But I still know that I won't get it in a million years.
When will DiMarzio make active pickups?
Quote by Useful_Idiot16
If you look at this guys gear, he loves Tool. Listen to what he says.

Well, I do love their tone. Justin and Adam's both. The Silverburst Epi is principally because, I think it's a beautiful finish period, regardless of who plays them.
Epiphone LP Custom
Peavey VK 100/Supreme 100 Bi-Amp
Mesa 4x12

Squire P-Pass
GK 1001
GK NEO 4x12