I want to buy my dad an OD pedal for his birthday. I want to keep the budget around $60 or less (I'm willing to go higher if needed, im not going to be cheap for my dad). He's got a Vox AD15VT and an Epiphone Dot. He plays mainly blues and alternative (Pearl Jam is about the heaviest stuff he plays). I looked at the Ibanez TS7 and Boss SD-1 (I'm not really a BOSS fan at all though). Any suggestions?
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
I would say the Digitech Bad Monkey. I ordered one after many suggestions from this site, but it still hasn't arrived. If he plays blues, I think it would go with it really well, and I've heard it is better than the TS-7 and SD-1.

If you get a chance to play through them that would be the best, but my vote goes for Bad Monkey.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
I also heard good things, i forgot about it. It's analog right, so it wont sound as "fake" as other digitech products
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
i personally would go boss over digitech anyday
Guitars:
Parkwood PW320M
Epiphone C-40 willie nelson signature
Squier Strat
Some beat up acoustic from '68

Amps:
Vox Ad50vt
Crate xt15r

Effects:
Vox Clyde McCoy Wah
It's true, I would usually go anything over digitech, other than boss. However, this is a really well made digitech pedal, and I'm pretty sure it's analog.

I really hate Boss products in general, so they are at the bottom of my list. They all look horrible, sound really digital, and I usually can't get them to function right when I am playing a song.
Guitar:
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
It's true, I would usually go anything over digitech, other than boss. However, this is a really well made digitech pedal, and I'm pretty sure it's analog.

I really hate Boss products in general, so they are at the bottom of my list. They all look horrible, sound really digital, and I usually can't get them to function right when I am playing a song.

It's a shame about that, some Boss products are really good. I agree with the Bad Monkey though, I have one and I'm sure it'll handle the styles listen. Great bargain I think.

Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna make a whole lotta money

Gonna be big yeah...
(Jimi Hendrix - Hear My Train A Comin')

flickr
Personally I use a boss blues driver for my overdriving needs. Its a good pedal, built like a tank, sounds great as a boost, sounds good for lighter overdrive sounds on a clean channel of a amp.

Also, if you haven't used a item first hand, you shouldn't suggest it over something else.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-BD2-Blues-Driver-Pedal?sku=151392 theres clips of the blues driver. Dont ignore it just because it is boss, its different than a tube screamer, but imo in a good way.
Yeah, it's one of Digitech's anolog pedals, along with a few others.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
I have the Boss SD-1, and I can honestly say that I am disappointed with it. It is farrr too light and warm for my tastes, but that might be what you're looking for. I've heard good things about the Bad Monkey, though.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
i tried the blues driver and thought it was utter crap, i think i might go with the bad monkey
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
you want to overdrive your dad? where's his input jack?

o_O

EDIT: seriously, though, two of the main ones would be the sd1 and bad monkey (haven't tried the bad monkey)... you'd also want to make sure that the valvetronix takes pedals well- i've heard it might not, being a modeller, but i haven't tried it myself.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
you want to overdrive your dad? where's his input jack?

o_O

EDIT: seriously, though, two of the main ones would be the sd1 and bad monkey (haven't tried the bad monkey)... you'd also want to make sure that the valvetronix takes pedals well- i've heard it might not, being a modeller, but i haven't tried it myself.

I think I let out a giggle there

I agree with Dave though, if you're going to try out the pedal before you buy it, see if you can try it through a Valvetronix rather than anything else.
Gonna Leave this town

Gotta leave this town

Gonna be big yeah...

flickr
^ yeah, you definitely want to try it through that exact amp, different amps take pedals differently. no point in buying him an overdrive if it sounds rubbish, you'd be better off buying him a nice (guitar) strap, stand, or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The SD-1 sounds quite nice, not a very heavy pedal but it's quite vintage voiced, it sounds great with my AC30 to give a little extra push. The Bad Monkey is a great pedal too though so either one would be a good buy really. But as people have said, digital amps don't always take to ODs very well so you could maybe consider a wah or something instead maybe?
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I run a TS9 through my Vox AD50VT and it sounds great. I'm not sure about the 15 watt model, but I assume it'll work out fine. Give it a try before you buy, of course.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA