Im in a band with a very incompetant rythmn guitarist and i cant play lead worth a crap...I mean i could probably make up some stuff but im having trouble..My problem is that i dont know how to tell which key hes playing in and i dont know how to match it up even if i did know...Can somebody point me to something that would show me how to become good at this?XD Thanks
My Gear:
Schecter Omen 6
Schecter C-1+
Digitech RP250
BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone
Uh..... Well me and the other guitarist in my band just sorta switch off lead and rhythm, so we don't use key's and such. When one makes a riff, the other screws around on the fretboard until we find a good lead riff. I guess you could say we're both guitarded.
Quote by Ninjake
... isn't mung like, a bean?
I reccomend a carefully crafted program of mild hallucinogens with with copious amounts of cheap beer. You'll need reliable pizza delivery and a source of income. Once you have these basic building blocks you just give up all other activities and interests for about 5-7 years while you never put the instrument down. Ever. Failing this....there are some excellent books and DVDs out there. A guitar teacher is a good option. How bad do you want it? The competition wants it REAL BAD. Enjoy !!!
It takes a while of learning theory, modes, scales, and the like. Otherwise, you are born with it.

Basically, check out the first chord he will play, and the last in a progression. If he plays...Em first, then just start playing around with minor scales in the key of E. If it is D# then play with some major scales in the key of D#.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
just learn the basic notes and then you'll be able to play lead... if he starts out in e, play lead in the key of e. learn scales and arpatios in all different keys.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Quote by Set-Abominae
guitarded.

New favourite word.

Good work dude.
I've been calling myself guitarded for years.

Mainly because I don't know a damn thing anybody talks about half the time.. I just kind of.. picked up the gutiar and ****ed around with it until I started to sound good. XD