Page 1 of 2
In September I'm going off to college to do a Music degree and since I'll be living in halls for the first year I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to stop guitars getting nicked so easily? Obviously I'm getting them insured but I wondered if anyone knew of any good way of securing guitars?
I'd rather not lock 'em in a cupboard because I play them a lot, so I want them accessible, and I'm not sure I can screw anything into the floor or walls (although I might anyway), but if anyone has any ideas that would be great!

EDIT: I'm all for just being insured and locking the door, but I want something to stop my parents buying me a sodding great steel gun cabinet... overkill, anyone?
Last edited by TheNthDimension at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by penguin-pirate
rub icyhot on it.

Lmao. +1.
When crying don't help
You can't compose yourself
It's best to compose a poem
An honest verse of longing
Or a simple song of hope...
At my college it's not a big deal or anything. It's a primarily music college, so there are a LOT of guitarists. Just lock your door behind you when you go out, and make sure your room mate understands how much they mean to you, and have him lock the door as well.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Buy a gun

EDIT: Put an NRA sticker on your case
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
Set up automated machine guns turrets with heat sensors on them that only recognize your DNA when they shut off.

in all seriousness, Sid McCall put it best.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by penguin-pirate
rub icyhot on it.

+1 Pwned...

Ok for real though...umm...what's inaccessible about like a locking cabinet? Just put away when you leave...are you that f**king lazy?
Setup
Shecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S2170 Prestige
Crate GT120
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Dunlop Cry Baby Original

Quote by GOD*OF*ROCK

And i was all like, no dude show me your DICK
Quote by Darren5591
Hardcase with a lock, this way it wont get broken or stolen.

Yea, just so they can steal the 100$ case with the guitar
Quote by Darren5591

The hardcase could though... this is mostly to reassure my parents. To give you an idea of what they're like: they don't like putting keys where they can be seen from a window, presumably in case someone breaks in, steals the keys, goes out and uses the keys to break back in.
Quote by Darren5591

but then someone can just take the case with the guitar in it
Quote by Lumpelope
+1 Pwned...

Ok for real though...umm...what's inaccessible about like a locking cabinet? Just put away when you leave...are you that f**king lazy?

Yes.
get a really cheap case(s). example- if you have a gibson buy an epiphone case
Quote by Darren5591

You are the dumbest person ever.

EDIT!

Quote by strq010

You come pretty close too.
Quote by strq010

^ but the thief may be smart and know that Epi makes really good guitars that sometimes rival the quality of lower-priced Gibsons, and would actually elect to take an Epi case over a Gibson case.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
- small, portable alarm system
- lock doors and windows all the time...even if going out for a short time.
- make sure others in your room are not going to get money by selling it themselves and always lock your door...
- lock the guitar case
- most importantly...don't bring an expensive guitar...just an acoustic if you want and then insure the item(s).
Quote by strq010

or you could save the money and buy lots of mexican food and then dookie all over your guitar! i dont know about you, but im not stealing a gibson covered with dook
Quote by moody07747
- most importantly...don't bring an expensive guitar...just an acoustic if you want and then insure the item(s).

...I'm doing guitar at college?! Good advice otherwise though. I'm just being lazy really

EDIT: I ain't playin no guitar covered in dook^^
Thanks for the thought tho.
live off-campus?
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Quote by Darren5591

They could just as easily steal the case as they could the guitar.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
whats the problem with taking it everywhere with you? i do, its always with me, so you also get talking to lots of musicians. great ice breaker with girls, and the only way u lose it is leaving it somewhere (which means your an idiot) or you get mugged walking home from the clubs (which means you have bigger things to worry about)

or hide it under your bed quilt, no-one will ever see it.
Why are you so aginst a gun cabinet that might keep them all safe in one place. Sometimes Mom and Pop have pretty good ideas.
Hell some theif my wander in and pick up the gun cabinet and wander back out (Y) /sarc

Gun Cabinet Sounds Good, (Y) I mean, you could littrally just when your in the flat or your room open it, and take out your guitars willy nilly (sounds wrong but) and when you need to leave, just put them in the cabinet, I'm assuming it would have something similar to a standing mulitple guitar rack in it, and lock it, hell get a gun cabinet with auto matic locking and a keycard, cept don't snap the card or your screwed.
Quote by MetalHead73
So I, with a broomstick(Just in case) walk right where they can see me and I said:

"You kids ever taken a broom up the ass?"

The look on their face was priceless, and they ran, and I mean ran like a bat out of hell.
Quote by penguin-pirate
rub icyhot on it.

this wins the thread. game over, everyone go home now penguinpirate has just won.
Quote by penguin-pirate
rub icyhot on it.

holy ****, I almost just pissed myself laughing at that for some reason.
My gear!
ESP LTD M-100FM
Custom RR style Flying V
Custom ESP Explorer (in the making!)
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop Crybaby, Deltalab Md-1, rd 1, Morley optical Volume
Quote by pimpslap1236
this wins the thread. game over, everyone go home now penguinpirate has just won.

yay i win!

id like to thank my agent!
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
Quote by pimpslap1236

SEE! you are a newb.

Icy Hot is for newbs.
Quote by bambi_slaughter
SEE! you are a newb.

Icy Hot is for newbs.

newbs also list there gear in there sig.
Sig space for rent.
$100 obo
Message for negotiaton.
Get a Warlock. If you see someone stealing your other guitar, just choke them with the headstock.

Seriously, lock the door behind you.
It all makes sense
We're capable of beauty
Through sounds that make on cringe
The dogs only hear us now

Quote by tymatt67
Why are you so aginst a gun cabinet that might keep them all safe in one place. Sometimes Mom and Pop have pretty good ideas.

Fuckin expensive? Takes up space? Not that important?
Buy a fireproof case, then every time you leave it douse the case in petrol and set it on fire.
The fire will stop any theif trying to make away with it, and even if they try you can identiry the culprit by the flames surrounding them or the horrible burn marks on their skin.

Win win
Have a closet?, If you do just slap a deadbolt on it, and keep all your stuff in there.

I know for paintings and stuff, you can actaully get RF tags and have the items put into a database, so that if they are stolen and ever turn up anywhere you can trace them. Unfortunately for you, I have no idea where to get such things, since I only saw this on TV.

But, If your going to a college full of musicans I bet everyone will be pretty cool and won't steal anything.
Quote by penguin-pirate
newbs also list there gear in there sig.

LOL!

Smart people list their gear in there sig.

Now when I make a REAL thread asking REAL questions about GUITAR, I don't have to name all my stuff. Saves time.

Its better than just putting something that someone else wrote on the internet in there.
Urinate on your guitar to mark your territory.

(It'll keep the lions at bay, at least)
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Last edited by Gunpowder at Aug 6, 2007,
Page 1 of 2