UPDATE READ THIS:
I'm really interested in the Aguilar Amps. The SWR amps look awesome as well. I'll definitely be testing some of these. I'm leaning towards the Stingray Bass, but I'm still considering the other ones too. I'm still looking for some more pedals/effects to consider. Also if anyone has any suggestions on some pickups i could use i would appreciate it.

If this is in the wrong section tell me.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new bass rig. I already have some basses and an amp im looking at. I was wondering if you guys could help. I'll be playing medium - large sized clubs. I play a lot of punk music and some classic rock. I'm really looking for a sound similar to Mike Dirnt of green day.

Basses I'm Considering:
Mike Dirnt Signature Bass
Gibson SG Re-Issue 4-String
Music Man Stingray 4-String

Amps I'm Considering:
Ampeg SVT half Stack

I could use some help on effects and pedals. Also some amp and bass suggestions would be nice. I'm really only looking for a stack. Also im really only looking for a 4 string bass.
Last edited by lunasora3 at Aug 6, 2007,
Well, from my experience, the Dirnt bass and the SG bass are two of the most uncomfortable basses I've ever played, but I rather like the Stingray. Obviously, the SVT is THE bass amp to have, and the half stack size is a good choice for your application. If you can afford those, go for it, but try the basses out first, and find the most comfortable one.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by georgemccupcake
what styles do you play?

mainly punk and classic rock.
def go fer the sg

they look great.. and iv herd they sound and feel great... but try em out first...
Live fast, die young, and leave a good lookin corpse

Quote by lunasora3
mainly punk and classic rock.

you can get a nice distorted classic rock tone with a Big Muff Pi. i love using them with a bass. As for suggestions for the bass, id go with the Stingray.
Well if you're really looking to drop that kind of cash I would say the Stingray. Of course the Mike Dirnt would sound good for your greenday but the Stingray, I think, is much better built and sounds better, you may want to get it in a HS(humbucker/single coil) configuration which would give you more options tone wise
Quote by thunderbritches
Well if you're really looking to drop that kind of cash I would say the Stingray. Of course the Mike Dirnt would sound good for your greenday but the Stingray, I think, is much better built and sounds better, you may want to get it in a HS(humbucker/single coil) configuration which would give you more options tone wise

thx guys. Does anyone have any suggestions on a better amp than the SVT stack? im not on any kind of budget. Also if anyone knows of a bass that would be better than a stingray please tell me. And, would this pickup be good for my kind of style? (im focusing on sounding more punk than classic rock): http://www.wdmusic.com/humbucker_distortion_29729_prd1.htm
In that case look into a Trace Elliot amp, they used to make a stack like you're looking for though i'm not 100% sure if the still do. Also look up some Aguilar amps, once again not sure if they make a stack like you're looking for, but both are top notch amps. And a little cheaper but still great quality are the Peavey pro series amps

EDIT: You might also want to check out some SWR amps, i hear they are beastly
Last edited by thunderbritches at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by lunasora3
i totally knew that.

I'm really interested in the Aguilar Amps. The SWR amps look awesome as well. I'll definitely be testing some of these. I'm leaning towards the Stingray Bass, but I'm still considering the other ones too. I'm still looking for some more pedals/effects to consider. Also if anyone has any suggestions on some pickups i could use i would appreciate it.
I'd go Trace Elliot. They are AMAZING bass amps. That and maybe the Music Man, but I would get a Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass.

See if you can find the AH300 head used, with an 8x10 ampeg cabinet.
Last edited by llanafreak44 at Aug 6, 2007,
Quote by llanafreak44
I'd go Trace Elliot. They are AMAZING bass amps. That and maybe the Music Man, but I would get a Fender Geddy Lee jazz bass.

See if you can find the AH300 head used, with an 8x10 ampeg cabinet.

wouldn't the wattage on ampeg be a little high for the head? I think it's unnecessary to have that big of a cab.
Quote by lunasora3
wouldn't the wattage on ampeg be a little high for the head? I think it's unnecessary to have that big of a cab.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Just get a 2x10 instead. If you have any money leftover, try to invest on a 1x15 for those good lows we all love.