I have 2 G's to spend.
Current Gear -

Amps [tube amps]
B52-AT212 (good amp, but costs 2-300$ to retube and costs only $650)
Crate V32 Palmino Tube AMP 1x12

Guitars
'91 Fender Strat Deluxe with 3 Gold Lace Sensors
Ibanez RGT42

I couldn't ask for a better clean tone using the strat through the crate amp, with the lace pickups. I use a boss blues driver pedal for distortion - it sounds like Claptons tones, great blues tone. I use a boss EQ pedal in cunjuction with the blues driver for leads.

The B52 has an great clean tone with the strat.

Neither amp has a good distortion channel. What I'm lacking is the cutting Lynyrd Skynyrd/.38 special/zeppelin guitar tone. When I try to cover some of those songs, I play them right but there's not enough bite.

I'm thinking maybe les paul..but then I'll probably fall out of budget if I get a Marshall of some sort. My band plays 60's - 00's music - all types of music but metal.

I've tried the Line 6 POD XT live but found it sounding too digital sounding and too complicated, plus it's a bit@$ with adjusting all of the volumes and dials.

Someone suggested a digitech multi effect process through a solid state or directly to the PA, but I'm afraid I'll lose the puch of tubes.

Then If I bought a Les Paul...
Theres the BFG, or Studio, or Classic or custom--Is there that much difference between these les pauls. If you listen to the demos on their site they sound the same.

It's impossible for me to test every combination of guitar/amp/pedal...with what I have does anyone have any advice on what could add a good classic rock cutting lead tone to my setup?
I don't personally have all that much experience playing with real Gibsons, but, dispite the hype, I'd wait at least a year or two for the BFG, IMO the first year of any model is crap.

As far as the sound your after, humbuckers are a must, and a LP is a great call.
apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
if you go with a les paul you dont have to get a Gibson, which will kill your budget. if you go with something like an Epiphone Custom, they are about the same build quality and quality control you would EXPECT from Gibson but dont get with their low end models, which are all you could afford. doing that would leave you with 1400 dollars to get a fine amp.
'87 Fender Strat
Oscar Schmidt Archtop
Laney LC15R
for zeppelin tones, i think orange amps are good, or some old marshalls, not sure which,
c-1 classic
mim strat (not fender)
valveking 112
Boss dd20 giga delay
Boss phase shifter
more to come
fender acoustic

my band

Quote by someperson
buy a wah wah pedal. Easier to use, and you won't have to re-tune your guitar after you use it.
What tubes are you looking at if it costs you $200-300 to retube an amp!?!?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
mesa lone star, your golden, got to play one today and any thoughts of buyinh a midranged tube amp went out the door, now im just gonna wait for a while until i can buy one.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Matrix: Seriously. I just bought new tubes and got them shipped for my amp for a grand total of like 75 bucks, lol.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Orange Rocker 30, JCM 800 for amps.
Whatever guitar you think feels best,. Personally, when I tried a Les Paul, it was hard for me to play it because I'm so used to a strat neck.
the b-52 is 9 tubes,

then I have to get it rebiased and they charge labor. I should probably learn how to rebias it myself. I think guitar center may profit on tubes. It costs me 120 to retube my crate. 3 EL84s and 4 12ax7's. As a class A I don't have to rebias it.
^I use www.thetubestore.com

It may be a bit cheaper.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I also think you should consider Orange amps. Those babies can do classic rock very well and cover everything you've mentioned. They are quite expensive though..

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
9 tubes?

the website lists 12 tubes. 4 6l6's, 4 preamp 12ax7's, and one each for the phase inverter, FX loop, and reverb, and a rectifier tube.

should only cost 200 to retube. If you changed your strings once a month for years, it would cost 180, and that's at 3 bucks a pack, when you buy the daddario 25 packs.

If you bought them at 6 bucks a pack, that's $360. $300 every 4-5 years doesn't sound like much now, does it?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
yeah I don't replace all 12, just the 4 preamp, 4 power and rectifier.
200 plus labor for re-bias

Expensive - tubes lasted about a year, of infrequent playing.
^If your playing is infrequent, they should last longer than that. If you let it warm up enough and you take it easy on the amp, especially when the tubes are warm, they should last a while....

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I've got an amp with 20 year old valves, and they still sound great.

$15 per preamp tube x 4 =$60
Quad of 6L6's = $60
recto tube from GT = $20

$140. Get a bias rite kit and a multimeter and it'll be $200. Learn how to bias, and that $60 multimeter pays off for itself.

Any amp in that range of gain has about that many tubes, maybe minus the tube driven fx, reverb, and such.

A lower gain amp will probably do what you need, with a light booster. If it's everything but metal, How about a vox?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by jb_designs
I don't personally have all that much experience playing with real Gibsons, but, dispite the hype, I'd wait at least a year or two for the BFG, IMO the first year of any model is crap.

As far as the sound your after, humbuckers are a must, and a LP is a great call.

surely if he wants a cutting, bitey sound, humbuckers aren't the way to go.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Heres a suggestion for how to get a few more distorted tones out of your nice clean amps. Get a tube preamp, they come in rack or pedal form. You will have more choice if you choose rack but then you will need a rack and they tend to look ugly. With pedals theres less to choose from but they will be a pedal and thus cheaper and you wont need a rack.

Theres plenty of tube preamp pedals to choose from out there,Telegun have the Fat Foot, Damage control do the Liquid Blues and Womanizer. womanizer has more gain than the Liquid Blues. Hughes & Kettner do the almighty Tubeman which Iv been reliably informed will go from clean to blues to rock to metal with ease. Seymour Duncan now do some Tube Preamp pedals as do Electro Harmonix and Vox also have their tube preamp pedals.

I started a thread for finding a decent preamp myself. It might enlighten you somewhat as to whats possible without breaking the bank on new guitars and amps.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639125&page=1&pp=20&highlight=tube+preamp
A full retube of standard tubes for the head version of your amp from Eurotubes only costs $138 with a shipping of probably about $9, the description of it is:

Add some warmth and definition to your B52 AT100. A matched quad of the JJ 6L6GC's for power, six JJ ECC83S's with one of them being balanced for the phase inverter in V5, one ECC81 for V11 and a JJ GZ34 rectifier.

Since I don't know what all that really means, I figured I'd put it in my post :P So unless, for some odd reason the combo actually has more tubes than the head, it should be cheaper for you. Some people don't like JJs though (don't know why, they sound great and did wonders for my 5150).
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com