well, next year I can get a job (I'll be 18, so I can work at a local gas station if they have any openings, if not, then I'm screwed), but assuming I do get one, which amp should I get out of these -->

keep in mind, my local shop carries johnson, and musiclink merchandise (these amps are by AXL, a musiclink company), and it's a small local shop, but I can get a decent price for them anyway.

what I was thinking was

AXL Rapture 150R (SS)
AXL Rapture 100HR/412C (SS)

and since they're Solid state, I'd get a good tube distortion pedal, or even better -- a tube pre-amp, later in the game.

or I could get one of these all tube rigs:

Akita AT30 (All Tube)
Akita AT40 (again, all tube)

there's an all tube half stack too, similar to the rapture one, but it exceeds $1000, and the best I could hope for is minimum wage a full year from now...

ideas anyone?
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Aug 7, 2007,
A tube preamp isn't gooing to make that much of difference, if I was you go for the all valve. You don't need a half stack. It'd be a better upgrade to your Spider, saying that these SS amps could be superb, but you're probably safer going for the valve option in terms of tone, make sure to try before you buy, read as many reviews and hear as manys soundclips as possible. Also consider diffeernt options.
(I know this is a huge bump but I only posted yesterday)

anyway, yeah, my guitar tech is getting some of those all valves in, and they seem pretty nice. There was a video review on the site, but its down now ...

I'd go with bigger brand names but price, and location limit me. I live in the middle of nowhere, and the nearest big music shop is guitar center like 50 miles away (gas prices...) + I'm friends with the tech, so I can get a real close price to whatever even large chains can offer. I'm pretty sure he was willing to sell and make minimal profit on the deal.

depending on how much $$$ I can get (I can get a job next march + I'll prolly get bday money too) so I may go for the 30 watt, 10 watts is a negligible sound difference (about 150 watts would double volume).

see, I know about amps and amp/tone quality, but my previous amp was a 15Watt solid state w/no noise gate. Clean was great, but overdrive sounded noisy (even with humbuckers). No matter what you say, the spider is a WAYYY better amp than my Crate GW15DR was (or some model name close to that), and for $100, You couldn't get a better one, Like I keep telling everyone, it was either that, or a marshall MG30DFX that looked like a cat scratched the tolex. Those things have a God awful overdrive, and an even worse effects loop than my spider on the red insane mode. Almost made me throw up when I tried it.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Get one of the Tube amps.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.