Im a novice guitarist (ive been playing for about two years) and im interested in buying an effects pedal. Im either going to buy the zoom g2 or the cheeper zoom g1. As a novice would i benifet from the more advanced one or should i save my money. Any help would be appreciated.
Ok, heres how it goes. I had a Zoom GFX effects board, great stuff, toured with it, giged, practiced with it, etc. But just before a series of shows, it went out. You see now this sucks, because my distortion, reverb, delay and awesome effects are on there. Just to save you the trouble, go for the single effect pedals, like the Bad Monkey or the DS-1. im not saying that Zoom is a bad company, but just save yourself the aggravation I had.
I got a G1X and it's ace. My dad has this guitar tech friend who's awesome at guitar because he's been playing all his life and he started jamming on it. He went out and bought his own.

It's good for only $150. When you want better quality go out and buy one but this will do for mucking around at home and learning on. The G1X is better than the G1 as it comes with an expression pedal.

Some sound samples if you want. Link

I haven't tried the g2 but the g1 is great. I'd recommend it.

edit:

Quote by J6strings21fret
it went out. You see now this sucks, because my distortion, reverb, delay and awesome effects are on there.

It wouldn't take that long to re-configure your settings.
ive noticed that zoom pedals never sound too good through a decent amp - i have a cheap 505II, and although it's great to use through my little 10 watt practice amp i keep at my computer, when i try to put it through my fender deluxe or my fender twin, it sounds like crap. Although ive never used a G1 or a G2, (although im pretty certain the G1 is an updated 505II), i would recommend saving up for a Boss. they're a fair bit more expensive, but your ears will thank you for it. that being said, it all depends on what you're using it for. if you just want to play through a smallish amp at home, theres nothing wrong with getting a G1. of course you can use it through a bigger amp, it will just take a fair bit of twiddling around to get it sounding good.
I have the G2 and quite like it.

It can produce a very wide range of effects and also has built in drum machine.

If I had the cash I would buy a load of individual pedals, but I was on a tight budget, so for £45 ($90) I was quite impressed with it.
thanks alot guys. youre alot more helpful than the other forums. I think im going to go ahead and buy the g1. im goin to get it of the net for £25.

p.s the sound samples helped alot!
i have the Zoom G2.1u (the zoom G2, just with an expression pedal) and im happy with it. i got some great tones. comes with cubase LE.... a bastard to get working though. but the pedal is great. i bought it after about a year of playing guitar, just to help me get used to all the effects that are available. when im ready ill get me some single effect pedals.
Quote by Samnung
im gunna rape u

Quote by GuitarManiac09
Stay away you freak....I dont want you spreading your hideous crab population..

METALLICA AT WEMBLEY 08/07/07
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
I got a G1X and it's ace. My dad has this guitar tech friend who's awesome at guitar because he's been playing all his life and he started jamming on it. He went out and bought his own.

It's good for only $150. When you want better quality go out and buy one but this will do for mucking around at home and learning on. The G1X is better than the G1 as it comes with an expression pedal.

Some sound samples if you want. Link

I haven't tried the g2 but the g1 is great. I'd recommend it.

edit:

It wouldn't take that long to re-configure your settings.

Meaning it wont go on, period... w/ and w/o batteries.
i used to have a zoom gfx-1 it was my first pedal period, but i got rid off it after to go with individual pedals, but if ur starting i think zoom is a great brand to just play around with, but it wont last long IMO u get bored with the sounds and u want more
Guitars
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Alpine White) (retired)
Gibson Les Paul Swamp Ash studio
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Tobacco Burst)

Bass
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz
Quote by nehe-miah
i used to have a zoom gfx-1 it was my first pedal period, but i got rid off it after to go with individual pedals, but if ur starting i think zoom is a great brand to just play around with, but it wont last long IMO u get bored with the sounds and u want more

You can adjust and configure the patches to make them however you want them to sound like.

Quote by J6strings21fret
Meaning it wont go on, period... w/ and w/o batteries.

I see. Probably faulty wiring.
I have to say I hate Zoom effects. Its a personal thing really, its just iv tried loads over the years and nothing zoom has come up with has made me think "yeah I can work with this". I ended up with a boss ME-30 then some individual pedals then a pod2 and some line6 individual pedals and now the podxtlive.
I've got a Zoom g2.1u, and it was my first real pedal. It was great for a while, but it eventually just stopped working altogether. I had to ship it back to the company to get it repaired and everything. I've heard of this happening a few times. Don't know if it's a testament to the company's quality, or a batch of bad pedals. When it works, it's pretty damn good.
ESP Eclipse II
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Sig. Les Paul
LTD EX-400
DigiTech GNX4
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Roland Cube-60