Yes it will work but if your trying to record vocals it will more than likely sound very bad. There is a 30 dollar tube preamp on Musiciansfriend.com right now. I would suggest that over going through that spider. Its cheap and it probably aint much but im sure it will probably sound better than using your spider as a preamp.
Check Out:Stack Of Noises
My SoundClick

Mesa/Boogie Single Rectifier Rectoverb
American Fender Limited Edition
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Jackson Professional Rhoads EX EMGs
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
^Well then if you have seen the schematic you should know that it is not a true tube amplification circuit, and is rather a starved plate circuit. Translation for everyone else - you are paying extra money for a tube that just sits there and doesn't even affect your audio at all. I strongly suggest against buying cheap standalone preamps as #1 they will often rip you off with jargons like "toob" and #2 they are rarely any better than the preamps built into an audio interface - and the audio interface makes a much bigger difference in this case than the preamp by itself would. An audio interface is a much better all around buy imo.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Quote by fly135
The $30 ART Studio MP is the one he's talking about and it works great. I have two.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

They aren't actually "new" like MF says. They were on MF and discontinued. Not sure why the re-emergence. But ART supplies schematics for discontinued products and they sent me one on request by email.

I've heard they are a little noisy because of the cheap tube...

I like the Studio Projects VTB-1 but it is a little high in price.

Mebmbers at the Tweaks guide board have put new tubes in the ART V3 and it sounds a lot better.

^ +1
If you want a good overall sound without stand alone pres and all that just go for an interface like the Mackie Onyx Satellite. Great pres compared to most other interfaces around the same price and a nice layout/build quality.
Last edited by moody07747 at Aug 7, 2007,
Quote by thrice_removed
^Well then if you have seen the schematic you should know that it is not a true tube amplification circuit, and is rather a starved plate circuit. Translation for everyone else - you are paying extra money for a tube that just sits there and doesn't even affect your audio at all. I strongly suggest against buying cheap standalone preamps as #1 they will often rip you off with jargons like "toob" and #2 they are rarely any better than the preamps built into an audio interface - and the audio interface makes a much bigger difference in this case than the preamp by itself would. An audio interface is a much better all around buy imo.

Yeah. I know that its tube is practically useless which is the reason I havent bought one yet but I was just giving him that option because that Preamp would definitley sound better than going through his Spider amp.
My SoundClick

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
^True - but an interface would be a much better bang for his buck purchase. I didn't mean to call you out - just wanted to make sure the TS was informed.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by thrice_removed
^True - but an interface would be a much better bang for his buck purchase. I didn't mean to call you out - just wanted to make sure the TS was informed.

Very true as well. The interface would probably work better for what hes wanting and it might even have better sound quality over that pre.
My SoundClick

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Pod XT Live
Marshall AVT20
1984 Peavey Pacer
Boss NS-2
I know that people have an aversion to the ART because it's using a tube at 50V instead of 300V. Thrice recommends getting a cheaper preamp and not pay for the tube, but it's only $30, and you'd be hard pressed to get a cheaper preamp.

It's not noisy and it does exactly what it's supposed to do.... amplify. It's not for overdriving and creating distortion.
Well it isn't really the fact that it is a starved plate circuit that I don't recommend it is - it is the fact that there are other things he should spend his money on first - things that would aid his audio quality a lot more than a preamp and save him money in the long run.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Thice, you put it all into perspective so well.

I need to learn how to help people based on the context of what they're trying to do.
I'm gonna work on that.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band