I'm trying to figure out if this will throw off my playing ability
-going from my current Gibson SG special to an ESP ex-400

The thing that worries me is
-going from humbuckers to EMG's
-going from traditional body shape and neck weight to the polar opposite
-going from standard fret size to jumbo along with a floyd rose
-The change in action between the two

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and how/if it has changed their playing or technique.
Well... EMG's are humbuckers aren't they?
Action and sutch is adjustable.
The thing you will notice is scale lenght?
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by Rufiothebandito

Basically I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation and how/if it has changed their playing or technique.

Fender Strat & Tele to Les Pauls & SG's.
They're the most different guitars you'll ever encounter trying to play.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I've done something like that, went from a Ibanez RG to a ML. Probably not as different as you. But before that i went from a no name LP to the RG, and it didnt do much. You just have to get used to the floyd rose. The fret size is annoying for a day maybe, but then you get over it.
Quote by Rufiothebandito

EMG humbuckers are just like a hot passive humbucker with a lot of clarity and low noise. It's preference.

can be a problem, but that's why you should always play an instrument before you buy one. You'll be able to tell straight away if it will be a problem.

fret size shouldn't throw you off too much, it actually feels easier on the jumbos to me. Floyd Rose can throw you if you've never used one before. Not so much using it to play, but changing strings and setups is where a lot of people run into problems. As long as it was setup, you are consistent with the string guage, and you change one string at a time, you should be fine.

again, preference, but most people find it easier to fret with a lower action. That's something you can adjust though, some people prefer a higher action tonally.

they aren't "that" far off other than shape. I don't think you'll have to adjust your technique if you don't want to. The tremolo just opens up more things you can do, you just have to watch using it too much, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
A Floyd can be an absolute nightmare to cope with if you aren't used to it...it just depends how you play. If you lean on the bridge a lot or are fairly heavy handed then you'll be sending your guitar out of tune constantly until you get used to it, if you already have a light touch then it won't really make a difference. Also you have to get used to the fact that bending a string sends open ones out of tune slightly, also with the jumbo frets you may find yourself sending notes sharp if you usually push down hard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thanks erock, that was exactly the kind of answers I was looking for.

quick side note, does anyone know if the ESP ex-400 comes with a hardshell or will they just ship it in a low end gig bag, or does that depend if I get it from musiciansfriend or a guitar shop.
Quote by Rufiothebandito
Thanks erock, that was exactly the kind of answers I was looking for.

quick side note, does anyone know if the ESP ex-400 comes with a hardshell or will they just ship it in a low end gig bag, or does that depend if I get it from musiciansfriend or a guitar shop.

actually Mark has some really good points about using a FR depending on your playing style. I don't press that hard, and I don't do a lot of bends with doublestop type stuff, so it wasn't a huge adjustment for me. Mark is right though, if you are having notes ring out, and then bending in unison, it will send the other notes out of tune, depending how far you bend.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 7, 2007,
You do get used to it, it can just come as a bit of a shock initially, however the ability to make motorbike and elephant noises far outweighs the drawbacks.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
You do get used to it, it can just come as a bit of a shock initially, however the ability to make motorbike and elephant noises far outweighs the drawbacks.

amp clips
amp vids
the ability to make motorbike and elephant noises far outweighs the drawbacks.

haha, yeah that does sound like an even trade.

but yeah hopefully it will work with my play style
now I'm worried cause I tend to strum and pick pretty hard and I'm really ocd about being in tune at all times but hopefully it'll work out.
Quote by Rufiothebandito
haha, yeah that does sound like an even trade.

but yeah hopefully it will work with my play style
now I'm worried cause I tend to strum and pick pretty hard and I'm really ocd about being in tune at all times but hopefully it'll work out.

well, there are things you can do that will help. Since you pick really hard, you might want to get it setup with all 5 springs in place, and maybe a .010 guage set of strings. Makes bending a little harder on your fingers, but it should be pretty stable that way.
amp clips
amp vids
Yeah I was actually planning on stepping up the string gauge as well, I know I'd have to adjust the settings on the FR and stuff but I might take that to a dealer to do cause I've never changed string gauges
I have just switched from a Fender Mexican Strat to a Jackson DKMG.. God it feels like My most of the techniques are gone esp. pinch harmonics :S... and i used to play Jimi hendrix stuff all time but was a fan of shredding too... did i make a wrong decision?
"Music is essentially useless, as life is"

Jackson DKMG
Roland Cube60
POD xt live
thats it
Quote by Rufiothebandito

EMGs are humbuckers - they're just active.
The EX-400 has got a tune-o-matic bridge w/ stop tailpiece.
The action is adjustable.

Why are you concerned about this? I assume that you're going to try the guitar before buying it, so you should know if it feels right or not.

And by the way, the EX-400 is NOT an ESP. It's a LTD.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
It's like switching from a six-string guitar to a seven-string guitar... it's likely to feel funny at first, but you'll get used to it. And if you don't, it's simply not the guitar for you.

Edit: And to the above: LTDs are manufactured by ESP, so you could refer them to ESP's if you'd like.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Last edited by Joey Radical at Aug 7, 2007,
EMGs are humbuckers - they're just active.

Why are you concerned about this? I assume that you're going to try the guitar before buying it, so you should know if it feels right or not.

I'm hearing mixed things about the differences between the humbuckers on an SG and EMG 81/60's but for the most part it seems like they sound very different.

Also, due to the fact that no guitar store within 50 miles of me even carries ESP that I've found, I may have to get it online, and obviously in that case I wouldn't be able to play it hence why I made this thread.
Quote by Joey Radical
It's like switching from a six-string guitar to a seven-string guitar... it's likely to feel funny at first, but you'll get used to it. And if you don't, it's simply not the guitar for you.

Edit: And to the above: LTDs are manufactured by ESP, so you could refer them to ESP's if you'd like.

I'm sure if somebody called their Epi LP a Gibson you'd be annoyed. Likewise with Squiers.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^
Good point XD
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by Rufiothebandito

I have 15 guitars and they're mostly all different. If switching between 1 guitar
and another messes up your "technique", your technique probably isn't all that good.
Getting used to different guitars can be helpful in the long run too...
Quote by Joey Radical

Squiers are made by Fender. Epiphone are made by Gibson.

But Squiers are still Squiers and Epiphones are still Epiphones.

(I am not talking about quality relations or anything, andI don't want to start a debate here, so if this is to carry on, just make a thread or PM me if you really want to)

Quote by Rufiothebandito
I'm hearing mixed things about the differences between the humbuckers on an SG and EMG 81/60's but for the most part it seems like they sound very different.

Also, due to the fact that no guitar store within 50 miles of me even carries ESP that I've found, I may have to get it online, and obviously in that case I wouldn't be able to play it hence why I made this thread.

They are very different, just do some research and I'm sure you'll find info on the differences.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.