What are the things I need to take in consideration when starting an online business?

I want to sell various things from DVD's, VHS's, guitars, Amps, Video Games, and other things like that. How can I get inventory for selling guitars and amps? Is it better to buy from ebay for stock or go from a manufacturer? What about the DVD's, Video games, and other stock (Where can I get this from to sell?)?
You can get guitar gear inventories from the manufacturer itself, DVDs,games and VHS wise you're better off buying them from any wholesaler you can find. eBay is a bad idea as quality is always suspect
I think you need a license from the manufacturer to sell new guitars... not sure. Check it out, you'll get discount though once you've subscribed.
Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air

My Gear:
1981 Gibson Spirit
1979 Ovation Balladeer
1999 Jay Turser JT 72F
1981 Fender Strat

Messa Boogie 60 watt tube
Marshall 12 watt practise amp
It won't work. You can't compete with Sam Ash, Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musiciansfriend, etc. You need to sell unique things to make money in the online world. Sell vintage guitars, but new ones probably won't work because then your competing with big stores.
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Quote by StrokeMidnight
It won't work. You can't compete with Sam Ash, Sweetwater, Guitar Center, Musiciansfriend, etc. You need to sell unique things to make money in the online world. Sell vintage guitars, but new ones probably won't work because then your competing with big stores.

or MAYBE he can sell them for CHEAPER since hes not a huge store? and stop being negative.
Quote by moonhawk
or MAYBE he can sell them for CHEAPER since hes not a huge store? and stop being negative.

+1
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
Quote by moonhawk

How could he possibly sell less guitars for cheaper than a giant retailer and have it work? You have to sell something unique to make it in an already saturated market. If I was to open an online rental company (just like Netflix) why should people rent from me? Hmm, I don't have an established name people can trust, I won't have the stock nor the numbers to compete, I don't have the advertising, I don't have a store front / warehouse, the market is already cornered, don't have the insurance to cover stolen goods or the money to pursue those who steal, it would be completely non-cost efficient to sell for cheaper when I won't make up for it in bulk.

Yes, it will never work unless you have something unique. Custom paint the guitars and you can make it, maybe.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
How could he possibly sell less guitars for cheaper than a giant retailer and have it work? You have to sell something unique to make it in an already saturated market. If I was to open an online rental company (just like Netflix) why should people rent from me? Hmm, I don't have an established name people can trust, I won't have the stock nor the numbers to compete, I don't have the advertising, I don't have a store front / warehouse, the market is already cornered, don't have the insurance to cover stolen goods or the money to pursue those who steal, it would be completely non-cost efficient to sell for cheaper when I won't make up for it in bulk.

well it must work b/c online stores have to start somewhere
Quote by moonhawk

Negative and serious are two totally different opinions.
Quote by x/taluha
i sell handmadehair stuff on myspace

That sounds like stuff a pedophile would buy..

>.>
<.<
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Quote by i have to pee

Yes, it will never work unless you have something unique. Custom paint the guitars and you can make it, maybe.

You're absolutely right.

The custom painting is a good idea as well, you could make some money doing that, probably. It's a lot of time and effort though. You would probably make better money just selling stuff on eBay, although you'll never make BIG money. But for pocket money....

On eBay, there are some eBooks telling you wholesale sites and such, they are about 99p. Just get one of those and look into bulk buying cheap stuff. You have to think about what you're buying though, would anyone really want to buy it?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by StrokeMidnight

i wouldn't be too sure about that. there's this small guitar store where i live and it beats the crap out of guitar center. people like it because it's local, and the guys there are **** crazy at guitar and know the ins and outs of it. generally, when it's a local store, the employees are more knowledgeable at guitar. and people around here like that.

but you're right because he's trying to make it online, which would be much more difficult.

try advertising around town, and get local support. i'm sure someone would buy a guitar from someone they know opposed to giants like gc.

well it must work b/c online stores have to start somewhere

but usually, online stores are original and some of the first of their kind. netflix was among the first of online rentals, whereas guitars have been in the business for decades
you told him to try to build bricks without straw
he asked you to build cities without bricks
Last edited by zep123 at Aug 7, 2007,
Quote by zep123
i wouldn't be too sure about that. there's this small guitar store where i live and it beats the crap out of guitar center. people like it because it's local, and the guys there are **** crazy at guitar and know the ins and outs of it. generally, when it's a local store, the employees are more knowledgeable at guitar. and people around here like that.

but you're right because he's trying to make it online, which would be much more difficult.

try advertising around town, and get local support. i'm sure someone would buy a guitar from someone they know opposed to giants like gc.

but usually, online stores are original and some of the first of their kind. netflix was among the first of online rentals, whereas guitars have been in the business for decades

Yeah, but this is an online store. Not local.

EDIT: Oops sorry I didn't see the "but you're right because he's trying to make it online, which would be much more difficult." Sorry!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
Last edited by StrokeMidnight at Aug 7, 2007,
Quote by moonhawk

You can't, the big stores buy in huge bulk orders so they get like 50% off. No, I'm not being negative I'm being realistic. I wanted to open a store like that and I decided I needed a better idea because it would fail.
Well since I am going to get an associates degree in Business Management. What would be the most profitable job I could git?

I may also get an associates degree in Information Systems Technology (Because the college I am going to has both and if I do one then basically I have already done the other. So i could get both degrees in roughly 3 years at most)

Based on what I just said here, what would be options that WOULD make money?
Quote by SuperRitsu
That sounds like stuff a pedophile would buy..

>.>
<.<

meaning clips
bows
headbands.
ect
Quote by moonhawk

Shut up idiot.

I talked to a shop owner and said he can't sell Fender and Gibson because it's just too expensive to stock them. There is a minimum purchase of something like 35 guitars per company minimum. You have to sell them at a certain price, too. So he can't sell them for CHEAPER because hes not a huge store. Nobody can sell cheaper than the company's price, or it's illegal.

Now YOU stop being negative by putting false ideas into his head.
High as tits
There is good money in offering guitar lessons. Especially at a physical location. Possibly put up fliers at the local middle and high schools. College campuses etc. Maybe you could do that kind of thing on top of selling guitars?
Quote by ravenrage07
Well since I am going to get an associates degree in Business Management. What would be the most profitable job I could git?

I may also get an associates degree in Information Systems Technology (Because the college I am going to has both and if I do one then basically I have already done the other. So i could get both degrees in roughly 3 years at most)

Based on what I just said here, what would be options that WOULD make money?

I'll admit I know near nothing about this, but my economics teacher said that retirement homes are a near sure-fire way to get rich. After all, the baby boomer generation is about to retire so that's a lot of potential.
The person below me is probably a homosexual.
Quote by moonhawk

No, he'd have to sell them for more money because he is not a huge store, actually.

And not to be an ass, but you will fail and here is why:

1. You can't sell whatever the hell you want, you need a specific product or no one will care
2. You need to have money in pocket in order to start a buisness
3. You have no idea how to even get product.
4. You have no concept of what is required for an online store. Where would you keep your merchandise? Can you afford web-hosting, a book keeping program, stock merchandise, shipping, business license, advertising, lawyer, etc ad infintum?
5. You can't just buy **** off eBay and re-sell it.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...