use reference points.... like know where you got your octaves fifths and thirds etc
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
I'm not sure if theres a best way but what I did was find all of the notes in c major. I did that when I started theory and it helps so all you have to find are the sharps and flats. But you're probably different from me so do what works for
To a shredder, a second is a long time.

Member of the UG Gentlemen of Higher Thought Establishment.

Invite only, if you want to be considered, contribute well to UG, and respect others as much as possible!
This is by no means something that will work for everybody, but I used to do it as part of my practice. Learn your major scale and all of it's modes. When you practice through them, be sure to sing each note as you play it. After a while, you will not only have memorized all of the note positions on your fretboard, but you will have gained valuable ear training!
Quote by CobAtr
This is by no means something that will work for everybody, but I used to do it as part of my practice. Learn your major scale and all of it's modes. When you practice through them, be sure to sing each note as you play it. After a while, you will not only have memorized all of the note positions on your fretboard, but you will have gained valuable ear training!

i was talking to some ppl and they told me to learn the fretboard first and then learn the modes...that's why i'm asking a good way to memorize the fretboard so then i can learn the modes more easily....i'm gonna try to learn the modes first and see what happens, it might work for me too
It helps to know the notes of the fretboard for any scale. You don't need to know all the notes, but it's highly recommended (you would be able to find patterns/positions faster)

I just found this http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/neck-diagrams.html Print out a lot of those and fill them out whenever you're bored . Kinda like CobAtr said, when you're working on memorizing the notes, sing them out too so you can be able to recognize the notes' sound.
I memorised the notes on the fretboard by playing a lot of sheet music. Eventually, as you get into more complicated music, it gets natural.