Page 1 of 2
My dad said that at the end of the first half of school if my grades are good, he'll get me new guitar.

I play a lot of classic rock and heavy metal, so that gives some kind of clue...

What do you guys recommend. I like both of these guitars, so I won't be remorseful if I don't get one or the other.

Thanks,

Joe.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
considering the massive amount of "gibson LP quality sucks" threads within the past... now, I would say the SG or an EPI LP with new pickups, like others have suggested.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
SGs are neck heavy, so if you let go of the guitar, the neck droops down. This has stopped me from buying an SG my whole life. Moreover, you can never go wrong with a LP.
Agile AL-3100 (highly recommended)
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
Epiphone Valve Junior head
1x12 custom cab
4x12 Behringer Half-stack

My Solo Stuff

My Band

I've got a LP and love it, but if you're truly a metal dude, I'd say SG. I favor a LP for classic rock and an SG for metal. JPersonally a Les Paul suites my tastes more, but that's just my taste though.
Shecters do pwn, but gibsons arent crap. (A Schecter might not be in his/his dad's budget.) Anyway, I'd go with the SG .... Or you could get an e50 dot (the guitar that michal j fox uses when playing johnny b goode in back to the future.) I love mine.
Quote by RedSox_o4
gibson is crap. play a schecter

whats up with all these fanboy kids lurking around the forums?

I'd say firstly play them and see what you think, the Les Paul has a warmer tone with more sustain but is less player friendly, because of weight and lack of upper fret access. The only downside to the SG imo is that it neckdives if you let go of it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
yea, schecters are metal beasts. Or have your dad et you the new Van Halen sig. It is only 25K

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Well, I may not get any Gibson-made (too damn expensive) guitars, so its going to be Epiphone all the way.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Indians scattered on Dawn's highway bleeding, Ghosts crown the young child's fragile eggshell mind
Quote by ChptOfDarkness
LP only cuz its easier to hit the higher frets on one rather than an SG

You're kidding right?
^ I'd say get a Schecter C-1 Artist, but they dont have a whammy bar. But they look so awesome with those inlays.

Quote by Rufiothebandito
SG all the way
the neck heavy thing isn't true
I've never had a problem with mine.

! Maybe SGs just hate me.
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
1x12 custom cab

My Solo Stuff

My Band

dude, screw what all these guys say, i got an epiphone LP standard for my first electric and i still play it all the time! SGs are totally solid too, just make sure the action is good and you like the tone the pickups give. thats all you really need to worry about. the only complaint about my LP is that it weighs half a ****ing ton. check out the new epiphone LP ultra models, theyre supposed to be really nice and flat topped with humbuckers. good stuff.
Guys...

No Schecter. No other brands AT ALL.

Just Epiphone. Maybe Gibson.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Get an SG. What would Angus do?
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Get an SG. What would Angus do?

WWAD?
SX SST57 strat copy
OE30 Hollowbody
SX fretless bass
Epiphone PR-200 acoustic
Yamaha G-40 classical
1x12 custom cab

My Solo Stuff

My Band

SG FTW!!! i got one with the custom tremelo and i love it...they both are fairly heavy guitars but the SG is my favorite...
"You can't be something you're not..." -Pantera

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Quote by Guitarplaymetal

In soviet Russia, The LULZ do it for you
I have an Epi LP Custom and i love it, and i would have to disagree with the person that said that the LP is less player friendly than an SG. IMO the LP feels more solid than heavy, and the SG just feels too light, like i could break it real easy, but thats just me. I can reach the upper frets just fine, and i have little sausages for fingers. The only downside to Epi LP's are their stock pickups, you will probably want to switch them out to suit your tastes better. Other than that both really are great quitars, good quality, just make sure you don't buy a lemon.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
I'm also thinking of a Les Paul Black Beauty. That might be kickass.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Ok, let's look at what we've got here.

SG
Primary Genres: Hard Rock, Classic Rock.
Cost: $250 - $579
Options: Epiphone Emily The Strange 310, Epiphone 310 Standard, Gibson Faded Special

Les Paul
Primary Genres - Classic Rock, Blues.
Cost: $399 - $499
Options: Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

Others
Options: Schecter C-1, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster Schecter C-1 Classic.

Now that, my brotha, is advice
Quote by metalddict1991
Beg your dad for both he will understand if he really loves you

You're an asshole for even saying that. I'm not going to manipulate my dad because I can't decide between guitars. **** you.
Quote by Jim Morrison
I would get a Epiphone G-400 and swap out the pickups, But honestly, Just try some guitars out and pick the one you like the most.
I love my SG...

I dunno why people say that they are neck heavy... when im standing up playing and I let go of it, the thing doesnt move an inch... but I also have a nice thick leather strap thats really comfortable...

I would say go with a gibson, but like everyones been saying there have been some quality control issue's... I played one faded sg special and hated it, went to a different guitar center and found the one I got now, and I absolutely love it, lol

but the two guitars play very differently, you should try out both at a giutar center or something, and see which you like better
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
My opinions (I own the Gibson SG Standard)
It is not so neck heavy that it causes problems.
SG's sustain just as long as LP's. I have owned several of both.
QC is a concern on any new guitar other than Custom Shop (and even they need a setup sometimes.)
LP's and SG's are both great guitars. I wouldn't mind having a LP but if I can have only one it will be my SG. Light weight, superior upper fret access.
SG
Gibson SG Standard

Custom Monterey Strat with Half scallop and CS 69's

Marshall Class 5

EHX Big Muff
Quote by Gu1tar K1d
Ok, let's look at what we've got here.

SG
Primary Genres: Hard Rock, Classic Rock.
Cost: $250 - $579
Options: Epiphone Emily The Strange 310, Epiphone 310 Standard, Gibson Faded Special

Les Paul
Primary Genres - Classic Rock, Blues.
Cost: $399 - $499
Options: Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

Others
Options: Schecter C-1, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster Schecter C-1 Classic.

Now that, my brotha, is advice

you are the GOD of advice.

I already own a Fender Stratocaster (Black HSS with a pearloid pickguard), but I just can't choose between a Les Paul or an SG. What's the difference in sound?
Quote by Jim Morrison
why these 2 with so many better choices around? but if you insist: the lp has a darker, bassier tone, the sg is brighter but still dark compared to other guitars, its a hard choice, because the lp is more for classic, and the sg is for hard-ish rock (still not metal) id suggest you should keep looking for more choices, gibsons are kind of overpriced for what they are, with the 1k the sg's worth you can get a way better guitar from another maker, or thats just me?
I've said it once, so I'll say it again...

ahem...

I'M NOT GETTING A GIBSON!!!!!

I've always wanted a Les Paul. It was supposed to be the first guitar I was goin' to buy, but I bought my Fender Strat HSS. So now, I knew that the next guitar I wanted to get was going to be a Les Paul. That is, until I saw the SG. I'm stuck between these guitars.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Quote by cpljwlusmc
I've said it once, so I'll say it again...

ahem...

I'M NOT GETTING A GIBSON!!!!!

I've always wanted a Les Paul. It was supposed to be the first guitar I was goin' to buy, but I bought my Fender Strat HSS. So now, I knew that the next guitar I wanted to get was going to be a Les Paul. That is, until I saw the SG. I'm stuck between these guitars.

okay dude sorry i didnt read the whole post
No worries, I was being stupid.
Quote by Jim Morrison
Hey... it's a long time until term is over... you'll have enough time to decide!

I'd recommend the LP though... Better feel, tone etc. than an SG in my opinion.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
My term hasn't even started yet (August 20).
Quote by Jim Morrison
Well, that only proves my point further doesn't it? You have 1 term to decide.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Page 1 of 2