Poll: Would going to say goodybe be a bad idea?
Poll Options
View poll results: Would going to say goodybe be a bad idea?
No it wouldn't, go for it.
164 94%
Yes it would, stay at home.
11 6%
Voters: 175.
Page 1 of 3
Tomorrow morning, one of my best friends is going to live in America for 2 years. I live in the UK.

She leaves for the airport around 6 and has said if I want to go say goodbye I'm ok to go at around quarter to, so I won't get in the way. Her house is around a 15 minute walk from mine so I could set off at half past, go say my goodbyes and be back for just past 6 in the morning.

The problem? My mum's said it's too early and 'going to say goodbye at that time is not what people do' and I've had 'weeks' to say my goodbyes. It's not struck her yet that saying goodbye weeks in advance of someone leaving makes little sense...

Anyway, after an argument with my mum she said 'do what you want, but if you go [to say goodybe] you're going to live to your dad' and because of where my dad lives, going to live with him would re-jig my life about somewhat. I could probably stay with friends or relatives who live a lot closer to me but what really bothers me is the thought of hurting my mum so much that she'd be willing to kick me out.

But by the same token, this isn't something trivial. One of my closest friends is moving to another continent and I won't see her for 2 years, and I'm fairly sure that she'd do this for me. And that my mum would stop me from saying goodbye for the reasons she's given is ludicrous.

So now I'm wondering, would simply hoping my mum's bluffing and going anyway be the wrong thing to do?

EDIT: My mum's asleep and will be until I'd be leaving to go say goodbye now, so talking it over with her is now out of the question.
Last edited by burningcowsrule at Aug 7, 2007,
if you make her realize how much you care about your friend...shell prolly just roll her eyes and leave you alone.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
you seem like a mature person because you truely care about how your mom feels, if its not too late i suggest you have a mature talk with her, calm her down, explain how it is, and remind her what its like to have a friend thats leaving for awhile.
Quote by greendayguitar
. My drmmer is always like "Man, write something crazy that goes like REEEEE REE REE RE RE RE REEEEEEEEE DOLOWOLOLDOLDOWLWOWJRFDSJKAGLDSAGJKDSAHFJKDSAHGFJDSAHGL... You know?"

torrentleech invite please
That's a rough situation. It sounds like your mother is WAY over-reacting, and chances are she could be lying. It sounds like you really want to go, so I'll say go for it.
It's difficult to win unless you're bored.
Thanks for the replies but I feel I should've pointed out in the original post, it's now reaching 10 30 PM over here and my mum's been asleep for an hour or so, last time I brought this up she ended up crying. Waking her and trying to talk it over now may not be the best of ideas.
I don't understand why your mum is so bothered by it, but I say go. She probably just said that in the heat of the argument anyway, I doubt it's a good enough reason to kick you out. Go say goodbye, it's important to let your friend knows that she'll be missed.
Quote by Paul Lambeth
It's like having the best orgasm of your life ever, but in your brain, and the opposite of that.
Go for it. That's ridiculous, she won't kick you out for something so incredibly trivial.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
it's like i'm missing something here

why the hell does she care when you wake up?
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
she said 'do what you want, but if you go [to say goodybe] you're going to live to your dad'

WTF she'll kick you out for that??
f*ck talkin to her, just go. she's probably just bluffing anyway
go to your friend's house. Your mom won't kick you out. If you don't live with her, she'll get less alimony.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Definately go for it!

One of my best friends moved away a couple of years ago and i never said goodbye properly and its bothered me ever since.

If you really care about her, dont let anythin stop you... Your mum might have a problem with it but shes probably had to deal with somethin like this so she'll probably understand eventually. She might even just be tryin to protect you from gettin all down once she's left.

But regardless, GO FOR IT!

And get a kiss goodbye :P
Screw you guys, i'm goin home
go dude. it sounds like if you dont you're gonna feel worse. just go...you can talk her out of whatever bull**** shes gonna come up with later. chances are shes just bluffing.

go and let us know how it turns out.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Squier Classic Vibe Tele
Fulltone Clyde Wah
Fulltone OCD
Fulltone Deja Vibe
Fuzz Factory
Carbon Copy

Boutique Marshall-Style 50watt amp head
Orange 2x12
i dont really get it. your mom is threatening to kick you out because you want to say goodbye to a friend whos moving really far away and you wont see for 2 years? what is her logic there? doesnt she care about your friend? i think you should go, and talk to her later about so you dont get kicked out. i dont see any way that you could lose the argument...you didnt do anything wrong...
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Wait, what the ****? You're not allowed by your mom to get out and walk about for approx. 30 minutes because it is too early in the morning?

How old is she, like 20?
Last edited by ProxXect at Aug 7, 2007,
moms are so ridculous some times, go and say goodbye, it would make your friend feel great and your mom will forget and eventually realize shes being stupid
Your Mom said she'll kick you out for saying goodbye to a friend? Jeez.
I'm sure she wouldn't though. Leave a note in the morning apologising to your Mum about the argument and say how important this is to you. I'm sure she'll understand.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz

I'm having chicken nuggets for lunch.

My Day > Yours
Just go say goodbye to her.
Cuebone in the Pokemon fan club. PM calebrocker to join.

Honorary Masshole PM SOADFanSince'98 to join.
I say go for it. If I was in that situation I would go. Just leave a note on the table for your mom or something

What part of america is the girl coming to?
If you can get back without her knowing that would be ideal, but the chances are she'll find out so just do it and face the consequences. It will be better than two years of wishing you could have gone.
Then they'll take you to Cloughprior and shove you in the ground
But you'll stick your head back out and shout "we'll have another round"!
Damn i clicked the wrong result lol, i say go for it, its your last chance to see her for 2 years i would make it a good one.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I definetly say Go, and if your Mom is that weird about something like this, I would probably move out anyway. Though I understand it is more difficult than that..
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
either theres something else goin on or your mom is messed up...kickin u outta the house for sayin goodbye? thats insane. Do It.
think of it this way. You can, later on, persuade your mum what you did was right. You can't say goodbye later on.

I'd go, my mate got kicked out of his house because when his uncle started sayin **** about his mate who'd come down from scotland, he butted him.

He says he'd do it again if he had the chance to go back. if he'll do that for his friend the least you could do would be to say goodbye to your friend.

also my mates mum is now begging for him to come back.

EDIT: damn it. I clicked yes thinking it meant go and say goodbye.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I first read this and thought you were coming over here with her (doh!!) I'm with the crowd, that's got to be the strangest demand I ever heard, and my mom is perpetually stuck at 13.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

I thought you meant "Stay in the UK or go to America" when I read the thread title.
Yeah, go say goodbye. Is there a reason that you shouldn't?
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
Go. Call your mum's bluff.
I'm fairly sure she won't throw you out over something like this.
If she's a good friend, what's her problem??
I hope it doesn't seem, like I'm young, foolish, and green.
Let me in for a minute, you're not my life but I want you in it

O Dayya, te echaré de menos, siempre

Y siempre
Y para siempre
Go say goodbye. But when you get back, make your mum breakfast.
And if she still bitches at you, you can rub your balls on it before serving up.
I really hate when parents make problems when there shouldnt be any, all you are doing is walking down the block, saying goodbye and coming back. Thats pretty stupid for your mom to "cry" about it.
That's a bad case of overprotective parenting. Though I don't understand what exactly she is trying to protect you from. Just go and do it. No sane person can possibly get so mad about something so simple.
My best friend moved away about a year ago and I know I probably would've felt horrible if I never said goodbye.

edit: She's only 15 minutes away? Your mom is threatening to kick you out for walking 15 minutes to someone's house? Is there something I am missing here?
Last edited by Masamune at Aug 7, 2007,
Quote by Masamune
That's a bad case of overprotective parenting. Though I don't understand what exactly she is trying to protect you from. Just go and do it. No sane person can possibly get so mad about something so simple.
My best friend moved away about a year ago and I know I probably would've felt horrible if I never said goodbye.

edit: She's only 15 minutes away? Your mom is threatening to kick you out for walking 15 minutes to someone's house? Is there something I am missing here?

I wish there was, I really do.
Quote by burningcowsrule
I wish there was, I really do.

Maybe if your friend is still awake you can go right now? I'd assume she can't sleep....I know I can't when I'm about to travel somewhere.
That'd be worse. Even if she was, and I don't think she is, my mum would probably be within her rights to have a go at me for sneaking out at this time, it's quarter to midnight.
Page 1 of 3