so i walked into a guitar center one day
going for a set of strings
seeing as that was the first time i had bought a new set of strings and i didnt know how to install them
i asked him to take a look and help me out
(he didnt.i had to go here and ask.thnks guys!)
anyways
when he was looking at my bass
he said
"is that an active pickup?!"
yea he was surprised
idky

can anyone tell me what an active pickup is?
and what an "un-active" pickup is?
and hopefully the actual name...
thanks.
Quote by Wikipedia
Pickups can be either active or passive. Pickups, apart from optical types, are inherently passive transducers. So-called active pickups incorporate electronic circuitry to modify the signal. Passive pickups are usually wire wound around a magnet. They can generate electric potential without need for external power, though their output is relatively low, and the harmonic content of output depends greatly on the winding.

Hopefully that helped explain it a little. If not, actives use batteries, passives don't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_%28music%29#Active_and_passive_pickups
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

so does that mean that with an active pickup its possible to play a bass without an amp?
With actives, most if the time you can just plug headphones into your bass and the active preamp will make it loud enough. But to be heard, you need an amp.

Actives usually have onboard EQ and give a louder signal so less tone is lost goin through pedals. Many reasons for em, read the Wiki article posted above.
Passive is the opposite of active. Welcome to UG.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
OK, don't laugh, but I have to ask this as I am completely clueless and it just seems completely illogical.

Do you have to replace/ charge the batteries in active pickups?
Quote by coolio omid
OK, don't laugh, but I have to ask this as I am completely clueless and it just seems completely illogical.

Do you have to replace/ charge the batteries in active pickups?

Yep.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Yeah, if it's a 9v circuit 1 and an 18v circuit 2. Pretty simple math but you'd be surprised how few people actually get confused by that

Yeah, and there are some special 9-volt batteries that are a little better-geared for musical instruments. There's one in my Fulltone. I'm tempted to say they are Nickel Cadmium, but I'm too lazy to open the Fulltone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..