I'm in the market for a new guitar. I've been just playing my one acoustic for probably 2 years now. Before then I had a crap guitar and amp (which blew out). I really don't want to spend more than say 600 dollars altogether, preferably no more than 500.
I've been looking into an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or a Standard Strat. As for an amp I really haven't had anything set in mind, however, a friend of mine offered me his Mexican Strat and a Behringer 2x12 120watt amp for $450. I don't know if I want an amp quite that big because I'm mainly a hobbyist. I also have looked at the LP pack on music123 that comes with a small practice amp for $500.

Any input on my decision?
you should go get an ibaez and a small peavy amp or roland cube amp
"A little word for my enemies and fortune seekers -
go fuck your Jesus..... he likes it up the ass!!"
Glen Benton
i'd go with the strat and behringer. if the behringer doesn't fit you after a few months, ebay that bitch, make a few bucks, and buy another amp.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables
the strat deal isnt so bad, nothin wrong with an amp that size, he aint sellin you a halfstack lol. then again, i use mys tack for practice sometimes... just cuz if not, it wont get used.
MY RIG:

Gibson Explorer '73 reissue, Classic White
Schecter Blackjack S1
Crate Stack

Thats noise violation in a box!
$450 is not a good deal. Offer him $300. Use the UG search on Behringer amps.
Stay away from practice package deals. You can get much better gear if you buy the amp and guitar separately.
forgot to mention he also offered a Gibson LP special for 500 I think which is also tempting
Ok, a little off topic but what is a better all around guitar in terms of versatility; the Epi LP standard or a strat? I play all sorts of music so that's important to me.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Line 6 spider III 15? The price is right in my range and from the reviews I've read, it looks good.
Quote by bobbyplant
Ok, a little off topic but what is a better all around guitar in terms of versatility; the Epi LP standard or a strat? I play all sorts of music so that's important to me.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Line 6 spider III 15? The price is right in my range and from the reviews I've read, it looks good.

I'd get the strat, unless you play any metal.

I'd stay away from the spider. I'd get the Epi VJ if I was you.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
line 6 makes some amazing stuff. but they really screwed up with the spider, especially the spider iii.
gear?
coming soon... parker fly mojo flame
ibanezes: rg350dx frankenstein * rg7620 7-string
fenders: telecaster plus * stratocaster plus

line 6: pod xt live * ax2 212
other: laney vh100r * mesa dual rectifier * monster cables